Million man army?

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
China has some interests to protect in the area, although their oil supply is located a little farther north. It's not official, yet.
China to send warships to fight piracy off Somali coast

Last Updated: Thursday, December 18, 2008 | 9:28 AM ET Comments34Recommend26

CBC News

China said Thursday it is preparing to send warships to the coast of Somalia to counter piracy, an advance that would be its first military operation in the area.
The ships will join the naval forces of several other countries in the troubled waters in the Gulf of Aden, where attacks by pirates on cargo ships have become a major problem over the past year.
"China is actively considering sending warships to participate in convoy actions in the Somali sea and Gulf of Aden. China is now actively preparing for this," said Foreign Ministry spokesman Liu Jianchao on Thursday.
He did not elaborate on details of the mission, but said formal information would be released later.
The Global Times newspaper, published by the country's Communist party, quoted two military officials as saying the contingent would consist of two destroyers and a supply ship to the area.
The ships will depart from a Chinese naval base on Hainan island after Christmas, and will be sent on a three-month mission to the region, the paper reported.
Beijing welcomed stronger international cooperation in fighting piracy, said Liu.
His comments come a day after a Chinese cargo ship, the Zhenhua 4, was rescued by a Malaysian-led international naval force from nine armed pirates who had boarded the vessel.
Mission could provide navy with experience

The mission represents the first Chinese naval foray into far-flung waters. Most of the country's naval activity has been centred on coastal defence.
"Combating piracy is an opportunity for the Chinese to give their navy something it doesn't have — experience in operations thousands of kilometres from home," said the CBC's Anthony Germain.
"There's a growing feeling here that now is the time for a rising great economic power to also flex its military muscle instead of relying on other countries' navies to come to the rescue," he said from Shanghai.
China's participation comes two days after a unanimous UN Security Council vote to authorize nations to conduct land and air attacks on the increasingly brazen pirates in the Gulf of Aden, one of the world's busiest shipping lanes.
Citing data from the Kenya-based East Africa Seafarers Assistance Program, Liu said 300 ships were attacked by pirates last year in that area. More than 40 ships were hijacked in the first 11 months of this year.
During the same period, 1,265 Chinese ships have passed through the area — an average of three to four a day, he said. About 20 per cent of them have come under attack, Liu said.
This year, there have been seven cases of pirate attacks involving Chinese ships or crews, he said.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Does anybody else see that there seems to be a large concentration of various country's naval fleets being placed all in one area of the world to control some petty pirates?

Does anybody else think there might be something else going on besides simply ransoms and taking of ships?

For those interested, I found a map of most of the various pirate activities in that area:

http://whiteafrican.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/somali_pirate_attacks_map.jpg

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
One are of interest on the subject of the Gulf of Aden is the littl post-colonal buffer state, Djibouti. Djibouti still houses what was once France's largest foreign base (last I heard, they were reducing their force size) the US has a large presence in the country and then there is the China-Africa Co-op - most recent developments allow China to use more 'soft' power in the continent, as a hole. The Gulf of Aden is one of the most important geo-political hot spots in the world and and Djibouti plays a large part in providing support in securing the area. France spent zillions of dollars on things like ports and infrastructure, the US on things like port security - moreso since 9/11, as has China.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
China has some interests to protect in the area, although their oil supply is located a little farther north. It's not official, yet.

China's oil supply is increasingly coming from the Spratly and Paracel island fields. It's one of the world's potential hotspots as it has vast reserves and is claimed by China, Vietnam, Tiawan, Bunei, Phillipines and Malaysia.

China's gone to war there with Vietnam and Japan keeps a close eye on them due to the fact that they are in the major Japanese shipping lanes for oil

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
China's oil supply is increasingly coming from the Spratly and Paracel island fields. It's one of the world's potential hotspots as it has vast reserves and is claimed by China, Vietnam, Tiawan, Bunei, Phillipines and Malaysia.

China's gone to war there with Vietnam and Japan keeps a close eye on them due to the fact that they are in the major Japanese shipping lanes for oil

Oye vey! Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't a few of them working together in order to exploit or at least survey the areas reserves? An ASEAN agreement, maybe? I'm drawing blanks, but would agree if the area has the potential you say it does.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Oye vey! Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't a few of them working together in order to exploit or at least survey the areas reserves? An ASEAN agreement, maybe? I'm drawing blanks, but would agree if the area has the potential you say it does.

BP and Nippon Oil are working one of the fields. Malaysia/Brunei/Tiawan and the Phillipines have formed a consortium to do some exploring.

China does publish what they are doing

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Thank god the Chinese are willing to stand up to the American and British backed Pirates. They will save us all from the bankers someday maybe.

Oh Brother! Are you freaking serious about this! This takes the cake.

So now the US is being accused by DB of backing the Somali Pirates!!!!

Didn't the British just kill a few of them?

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
BP and Nippon Oil are working one of the fields. Malaysia/Brunei/Tiawan and the Phillipines have formed a consortium to do some exploring.

China does publish what they are doing

Are you suggesting I read up on the topic, instead of soliciting for links?:lol:

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
This reads like a children's adventure novel....

Captain of a Chinese ship describes some of what happened when 'pirates' boarded their ship.
Asked for shoes
The captain described how the defeated pirates made some unexpected requests as they prepared to leave the Zhenhua 4.
"The head of the pirates said 'stop, stop, we can't go on fighting any more. Let us go'. And I said: 'We will let you go. Leave our ship'."
The pirates were well-armed, the ship's captain said

Mr Peng said that the pirates then asked for shoes because they were barefoot and the deck was covered in broken glass.
Pairs of leather shoes were thrown to them and the pirates retreated - only to return a few minutes later asking for fuel for their speedboats.
Capt Peng added that while the fighting was going on helicopters appeared overhead and started firing at the pirates.
"They helped us succeed," he said.
On Thursday, Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Liu Jianchao told journalists that preparations to dispatch naval vessels were under way.
BBC diplomatic correspondent Jonathan Marcus says it will be the Chinese navy's first active deployment beyond the Pacific Ocean.

Continue from beginning here: BBC NEWS | Africa | China sailor recalls pirate fight

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Thank god the Chinese are willing to stand up to the American and British backed Pirates. They will save us all from the bankers someday maybe.

How on earth are these American or British Pirates? They keep costing the British and American's tonnes of money.

Why do you think the Chinese are getting involved? For hating American and British Capitalists you sure seem to love THEIR bankers the Chinese. Who do you think keeps the American economy afloat in these troubled times?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
How on earth are these American or British Pirates? They keep costing the British and American's tonnes of money.

Why do you think the Chinese are getting involved? For hating American and British Capitalists you sure seem to love THEIR bankers the Chinese. Who do you think keeps the American economy afloat in these troubled times?

Two words, the first begins with a eye, oh never mind it'll take you all day==Insurance Scam