Drunk driver caught again after swerving his van into probation officer’s front yard

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
You can file this one under Dumbass:

Drunk driver caught again after swerving his van into probation officer’s front yard - Nova Scotia News - TheChronicleHerald.ca

SHELBURNE — Roland H. Atwood was so drunk on Mother’s Day 2007 that he almost flipped his old green minivan as he drove through Port Saxon, Shelburne County.

Leaving black skid marks here and there on the highway as he swerved to avoid obstacles, the 60-year-old finally drove his van off the road and lurched to a stop — in the local probation officer’s front yard.

Wtf goes through people's heads when they're drunk anyways?

"Whoa, my van feels like it's swaying on two wheels, I hear my wheels skidding on the road, oh was that a mail box or a person I just smacked into? Well there's no time to stop and find out now I gotta keep going...... arn't I supposed to be driving with the direction of the yellow line? Why is it way back there?? Hey the car stopped..... there's a house..... funny...."

Besides the irony of landing in the Probation officer's front yard, did this idiot ever think of the Brake, stopping the damn thing, getting out and just simply walking home?

Mr. Atwood had already been convicted of drunk driving seven times since 1988 and he was last legally allowed behind the wheel in November of 1995.

Probation officer Bob MacLean yelled at Mr. Atwood as he approached the vehicle sitting in his driveway.

Mr. MacLean reached in and pulled the keys out of the ignition.

RCMP came and arrested Mr. Atwood. His breathalyzer readings were 180 milligrams of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood, more the twice the legal limit of 80 milligrams of alcohol.

"It’s clear Mr. Atwood has not learned. . . . He is a danger to the public," Crown attorney Jim Fyfe told a provincial court judge Wednesday.

Gee, you think?

Mr. Atwood pleaded guilty to the impaired driving charge and was sentenced to 12 months in jail for that and another set of offences.

"The defendant’s record . . .is absolutely atrocious," said Judge Robert Prince.

Mr. Atwood was also sentenced for an earlier conviction arising from an incident this past July 30 in Gunning Cove when he was again very drunk.

Mr. Atwood took a loaded gun and "racked," a round into the firing chamber, said the Crown attorney. Mr. Atwood then pointed the loaded gun at two people.

Mr. Atwood should not have had access to a gun that day because he was prohibited from possessing firearms at the time, court was told.

If his record is that atrocious and he just got found guilty of pointing a loaded gun at two people...... WTF IS HE ONLY GETTING 12 MONTHS IN JAIL!!????

It wasn’t clear from courtroom evidence where Mr. Atwood did most of his drinking because his common-law wife doesn’t allow booze in her house, said defence lawyer Alex Pink.

"He clearly has a major problem with alcohol," Mr. Pink said of his client, who has been in jail since the July incident.

"I’m sorry for what I’ve done," said Mr. Atwood who promised the court and Jesus that he will never drink again.

And I hope Jesus or God strikes you dead with a bolt of lightning up your ass when you break that promise again.

He's sorry.... cripes.... if he was really sorry, he wouldn't keep doing it now would he?

And clearly his promises are worthless. Lock him away for 10 years and see if anything changes.

It was fortunate that the gun did not go off and kill someone, said the judge.

Mr. Atwood must serve 12 months in jail, in addition to the five months he has already served.

Jebus Murphy, what a frigging joke..... he'll get another 12 months, it'll be cut down to three and he'll be back on the roads again...... and nothing will be done until someone is actually dead from his stupidity...... but of course he'll only get 24 months, cut down to 6.

The justice system is such a joke it makes me sick.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:angry3: It's absolutely disgusting, that perverted feeling of entitlement repeat drunk drivers have. They won't stop.

If you get caught in Ont. with more than .08, you don't drive for a year, your insurance goes sky high, and you have to take "some courses" regarding drinking in general, abstention, and treatment. The cost to the drunk driver could well exceed $10,000. --this info from a former drunk.

Ok, givem that one year off, and if they get caught again.........2 years in jail, and they NEVER NEVER HAVE A LICENCE AGAIN. And the jail time goes up if they get caught driving...........It's so easy..........

Why are we so goddam gentle with these potential killers??

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
:angry3: It's absolutely disgusting, that perverted feeling of entitlement repeat drunk drivers have. They won't stop.

If you get caught in Ont. with more than .08, you don't drive for a year, your insurance goes sky high, and you have to take "some courses" regarding drinking in general, abstention, and treatment. The cost to the drunk driver could well exceed $10,000. --this info from a former drunk.

Ok, givem that one year off, and if they get caught again.........2 years in jail, and they NEVER NEVER HAVE A LICENCE AGAIN. And the jail time goes up if they get caught driving...........It's so easy..........

Why are we so goddam gentle with these potential killers??

Seems to me that judges and lawyers just don't like stepping on other people's toes when they do something wrong, but still want to keep their jobs, so they give trivial punishments to make it look like they're making a difference.

I say screw that, we need a bunch of Judges who have a pair of brass ballz to tell these people they're stupid idiots and should never breed for the betterment of mankind overall, and then lock them away for half their lifetimes to give them something to think about.

I don't mind treating most situations lightly when it is a first offense, but once they repeat, all bets are off, and their asses should be locked away.

If the first time standing in a court room in front of a judge and being found guilty once wasn't a wake up call to change your ways, the second time ain't going to make a difference either, so lock their asses away for a while until they can clue in and go "Gee.... maybe I should change my ways"