Democracy and accountability are an illusion

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia

By Paul Palango
“Aren’t you afraid?”
That is a question I’ve been asked hundreds of times over the past two years as I researched, wrote, and published my latest book, Dispersing the Fog: Inside the Secret World of Ottawa and the RCMP.
The question has been asked of me by curious politicians, bureaucrats, police officers, a judge and an ex-judge, my friends and acquaintances, and members of my own family.
The very fact that it is asked suggests that Canadians are not entirely comfortable in their own country. We think we live in a safe, open society, but at the same time so many Canadians seem to believe that it is dangerous to ask questions or raise issues that might strike at the heart of something darker going on within the country.
Am I afraid?

Democracy and accountability are an illusion | Straight.com

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
" ... Dispersing the Fog is a frightening examination of growing political tyranny in Canada."

I don't really understand what people expect out of a system who's political leaders sole objective is creating dictates and consolidating power under the guise of creating utopia through homogenization and violent mechanisms of conformity. It seems no other outcome but tyranny could be possible. Really? What could anyone expect? Even John A McDonald remarked that despite the apparent impossibility of it the Canadian system did work. I think he was wrong. It doesn't work and it is the element of time, like in all democracies, is what brings down an otherwise very pretty ideology - too pretty apparently for animals like us.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
True Anarchy where the community is the highest form of government and the feds can only deal with foreign affairs.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

By Paul Palango
“Aren’t you afraid?”
That is a question I’ve been asked hundreds of times over the past two years as I researched, wrote, and published my latest book, Dispersing the Fog: Inside the Secret World of Ottawa and the RCMP.
The question has been asked of me by curious politicians, bureaucrats, police officers, a judge and an ex-judge, my friends and acquaintances, and members of my own family.
The very fact that it is asked suggests that Canadians are not entirely comfortable in their own country. We think we live in a safe, open society, but at the same time so many Canadians seem to believe that it is dangerous to ask questions or raise issues that might strike at the heart of something darker going on within the country.
Am I afraid?

Democracy and accountability are an illusion | Straight.com

Maybe if we had a complete democracy we'd have complete accountability. But then surely everyone knows a "perfect world" does not exist.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
i want a government made out of cotton candy that gives me money every day and has a department of *****s who are legally obliged to give me two blowjobs a day.

but perhaps i'll settle with the one i've got, since i dont have a vote :0)

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
not sure one can use democracy and politics/government in the same sentence...seems like an oxymoron to me :lol:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
i want a government made out of cotton candy that gives me money every day and has a department of *****s who are legally obliged to give me two blowjobs a day.

but perhaps i'll settle with the one i've got, since i dont have a vote :0)

I have one that I don't intent to use again untill after the revolution, I lend it to you if you want. For all the bloody good it will do you.