The New American Dream

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
No home because of the sub prime crisis? No problem, meet the EDAR.

It's a cross between a tar paper shack and a shopping cart.

I hope Harper doesn't see this.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I just bought my first place here in the US. For people like me, the housing mess has been a blessing. Housing prices are finally returning to a more reasonable place so I can afford to buy.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The EDAR might be alright in California but the more northern climes have homeless as well. I doubt this thing would keep a person warm in say, Prince George or Regina for that matter.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
The EDAR might be alright in California but the more northern climes have homeless as well. I doubt this thing would keep a person warm in say, Prince George or Regina for that matter.

No, it definitely wouldn't keep them warm. But, it might keep them alive. It's got to be better than say, -40 in High Level when we realized someone had broken into our garden shed to sleep in the bundles of insulation.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
It's a gated complex:p

Brilliant ;-)

I wonder if a person could rent out EDARs? How much would a middle aged person pay for such a thing? If you offered a communal shower and toilet in close proximity to a vacant lot such a thing might be worth while? Say $100-$300 dollars a month?

Maybe the dream isn't dead it just needs to be reinvented? Maybe offer a rent to own plan?

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Sounds like an inexpensive to warehouse many of the homeless:smile: Not here in our cold climate,tho.

If there is a will there is a way:

Maybe tiny pellet stoves would work best? Since they don't get too hot people could cuddle right up to them.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
No, it definitely wouldn't keep them warm. But, it might keep them alive. It's got to be better than say, -40 in High Level when we realized someone had broken into our garden shed to sleep in the bundles of insulation.

There are ways to keep people warm. There are sleeping bags that would keep you warm in Antarctica in a snowbank but where EDAR fails, is that it only provides one aspect of shelter. It has no sanitary facilities. Is this the way we want people to live?

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
There are ways to keep people warm. There are sleeping bags that would keep you warm in Antarctica in a snowbank but where EDAR fails, is that it only provides one aspect of shelter. It has no sanitary facilities.

Facilities could be rented out and provide a new tax stream for the government. We could have rental showers too. Don't forget that piss cans, made popular by the Trailer Park Boys, offer some relief too at least to men anyway.

This could actually turn out to be a golden opportunity. :idea:

Is this the way we want people to live?

Obviously it isn't ideal but it could be reason to lower minimum wage (as the cost of living isn't unduly high) and increase liquidity in the labour market.

If people want to live that way then why should we stop them? If people didn't like tar paper then they would do something about it now wouldn't they? Obviously these people are just being lazy and I don't think that should be rewarded.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
I have just emailed the maker of the EDAR with the following inquiry:

Hello

I own a vacant lot and am interested in renting out your product to potential tenants. I would like to know the unit costs. Also do you have smaller versions for children or perhaps additionst? Could you please include prices if you do. Also, do you have plans to provide a heat source as I live in a cold climate. I am particularly interested in a small pellet stove as I could realize extra income from selling fule.

Regards

Scott

If I get a response I'll post it :lol:

BTW, FYI, I am totally repulsed by the idea of the EDAR and think sometimes the best coarse, to demonstrate the wrongness of thinking, is to argue the affirmative.