Unrest spreads in Europe

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

A police officer, left, stands by a shop that had its windows smashed in Madrid Wednesday. Protesters in Spain attacked banks, shops and a police station in an apparent show of support for rioting Greeks angered by the police killing of a youth in Athens, police said Thursday. The violence Wednesday night in Madrid and Barcelona was the first in Spain in apparent solidarity with protesters who have been rioting in Greece for the past five days over the death of the 15-year-old.

Unrest spreads in Europe - Nova Scotia News - TheChronicleHerald.ca

MADRID, Spain — Unrest that has gripped Greece for almost a week showed troubling signs of spreading across Europe on Thursday, as violence erupted in several cities.

Angry youths smashed shop windows, attacked banks and hurled bottles at police in small but violent protests Thursday in Spain and Denmark, while cars were set alight outside a consulate in France.

Protesters gathered in front of the Greek Embassy in Rome on Wednesday and some turned violent, damaging police vehicles, overturning a car and setting a trash can on fire.

Authorities say the incidents have been isolated so far, but acknowledge concern that the Greek riots — which started over the police killing of a 15-year-old on Saturday — could be a trigger for anti-globalization groups and others outraged by economic turmoil and a lack of job opportunities.

"What’s happening in Greece tends to prove that the extreme left exists, contrary to doubts of some over these past few weeks," French Interior Ministry spokesman Gerard Gachet told The Associated Press.

"For the moment, we can’t go farther with our conclusions and say that there’s a danger of contagion of the Greek situation into France. All of that is being watched."

As Europe plunges into recession, unemployment is rising, particularly among the young. Even before the crisis, European youths complained about difficulty finding well-paid jobs — even with a college degree — and many said they felt left out as the continent grew in prosperity.

At least some of the protests appear to have been organized over the Internet, showing how quickly a message can be spread, particularly among tech-savvy youth. One website that Greek protesters have been using to update each other claims there have been sympathy protests in nearly 20 countries.

"We’re encouraging non-violent action here and abroad," said Konstantinos Sakkas, a 23-year-old protester at the Athens Polytechnic, where many of the demonstrators are based. "What these are abroad are spontaneous expressions of solidarity with what’s going on here."

In Denmark, protesters pelted riot police with bottles and paint in downtown Copenhagen at a rally late Wednesday. Some 63 people were detained and later released.

And in Spain, angry youths attacked banks, shops and a police station in separate demonstrations in Madrid and Barcelona late Wednesday that each drew about 200 people.

Some of the protesters chanted "police killers" and other slogans. Eleven people — including a Greek girl — were arrested at the two rallies, and two police officers were lightly injured.

The Barcelona newspaper La Vanguardia said the protests had been convened over the Internet.

Daniel Lostao, president of the state-financed Youth Council, an umbrella organization of Spanish youth groups, said young people in Spain face daunting challenges — soaring unemployment, low salaries and difficulty in leaving the family nest because of expensive housing.

Still, he said he doubted the protests in Spain would grow.

"We do not have the feeling that this is going to spread," Lostao said. "Let’s hope I am not wrong."

Jeez.... one completely seperate thing that occured in one country is now spreading accross the EU?

Generation Revolution?

Of course it sounds like they're trying to put a bit of blame on the internet in regards to how well organized and quickly they can operate.

Welcome to the internet age..... keep up or be replaced it would seem.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
It has gone far beyond the shooting of the teen. The majority of the looters probably don't give a rat's ass about the boy. They just want a reason to act like a hooligan, and this fit the bill.

Sort of like the riots that happen because a hockey team loses/wins a playoff game/series. People will riot for the sake of rioting, the reasons do not matter to them.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:cool: There was actually a guy.....(one guy) with a big sign supporting the coalition, standing right outside of the town hall (and police station), in Backwater the other day.

No one stopped, I honked, nothing happening, no one paying attention at all.

It was probably too cold for a riot.

This is a town which is bleeding jobs.

It's a "Conservative" town

Go figure.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
It has gone far beyond the shooting of the teen. The majority of the looters probably don't give a rat's ass about the boy. They just want a reason to act like a hooligan, and this fit the bill.

Sort of like the riots that happen because a hockey team loses/wins a playoff game/series. People will riot for the sake of rioting, the reasons do not matter to them.

That's right! I mean how much could people really care about some stupid kids death?

Obviously he was guilty too or the police wouldn't have killed him.

It's time to round these scoundrels up and kill them all huh?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
That's right! I mean how much could people really care about some stupid kids death?

Obviously he was guilty too or the police wouldn't have killed him.

It's time to round these scoundrels up and kill them all huh?

Where did you get this from?:-?

From the sounds of it the boy was innocent, but with the rioting going on for so long, you cannot tell me that every single rioter gives a rat's ass about him. There are a lot of them rioting just to riot.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Where did you get this from?:-?

From the sounds of it the boy was innocent, but with the rioting going on for so long, you cannot tell me that every single rioter gives a rat's ass about him. There are a lot of them rioting just to riot.

I don't follow your logic. Some certainly don't care but I don't see any reason to think its a lot.

I doubt its an excuse either. These people are upset and probably for a lot of reasons.

I know to North American sensibilities its pretty hard to imagine. We tend to be a lot more apathetic then Europeans so things like this are confusing to us.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I don't follow your logic. Some certainly don't care but I don't see any reason to think its a lot.

I doubt its an excuse either. These people are upset and probably for a lot of reasons.

I know to North American sensibilities its pretty hard to imagine. We tend to be a lot more apathetic then Europeans so things like this are confusing to us.

Okay. I may have the numbers a little high, but there has to be better ways of going about this than rioting. That being said, at least no one has been killed by the rioters(as far as I know). And there are ones that DO use it as an excuse. Like I said, maybe I erred when I said most of them, but there are some that don't care. They just do it to do it.

I also don't forsee this situation stopping any time soon.

Mongul

Electoral Member
Dec 1, 2008
Forensic evidence suggests that the cop didn't fire at the kid, but rather it was a ricocheted bullet that struck him.

CNN

On Thursday, their lawyer, Alexis Kougias, said initial results from a ballistics test show the officer did not fire directly at the teen. Instead, the bullet ricocheted off another object before hitting the boy in the chest.
Officials fear that if the ricochet theory pans out, it could inflame tensions and spark more riots.
The initial examination shows the bullet taken from the victim was scraped and deformed on one side, Kougias said. That indicates the bullet was one of two warning shots fired by police into the air, which then ricocheted and hit the boy.

stupid stupid everyone involved

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
People don't need a reason to riot. Collective beahviour, conformity, convergence and contagion; some like minded people will gravitate together, but some people will just follow the crowd without being of like mind. It's human nature.