Court Orders Iranian Man Blinded by Acid:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Court orders Iranian man blinded
BBC NEWS | Middle East | Court orders Iranian man blinded

A court in Iran has ruled that a man who blinded a woman with acid after she spurned his marriage proposals will also be blinded with acid.

The ruling was reported in Iranian newspapers on Thursday.

The punishment is legal under the Islamic Sharia code of qias or equivalence, which allows retribution for violent crimes.

The court also ordered the attacker, 27-year-old Majid Movahedi, to pay compensation to the victim.

The acid attack took place in 2004. The victim, Ameneh Bahrami, went to Spain for surgery to reconstruct her face but efforts to restore her sight failed.

The ruling was a response to her plea to the court in the Iranian capital Tehran for retribution.

"Ever since I was subject to acid being thrown on my face, I have a constant feeling of being in danger," she told the court.
Ms Bahrami also said that Movahedi had also threatened to kill her.

Now that's how you deal with scum bags like this..... Eye for an Eye..... literally. That and he also had to pay compensation too, so an additional deterrant.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Ya, this is a psycho, asked a girl to marry him, she said no (even in islamic law she did nothing wrong, in fact she did everything right) so he blinded her with Acid.

Now he gets to be blinded with Acid. I actually like that punishment. Sits well with me. I know its a bad presedent, yadda yadda. But I can't feel bad for the guy, he's a monster and he's literally getting exactly what he did to someone else.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Too bad that blindness might interfere with his ability to pay her a larger sum of money over the course of his lifetime.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Hammurabi would be proud. An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Too bad that blindness might interfere with his ability to pay her a larger sum of money over the course of his lifetime.

Seeing as she requested the blinding, I don't think she cares. Besides, think of how easy it is to dodge court payments to women in Canada, its probably not any better there.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
What would have been his punishment in Canada?
Two outcomes an obscure woman with little social status, a very visible woman with strong ties to the Justice community
Two outcomes, one of guilty the other not guilty but the justice community is several million richer when all costs are factored in.
In one he would walk, how much time for the other? What about civil suits?