Stephen Hawking accepts post at Ontario institute

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

Professor Stephen Hawking of the University of Cambridge, makes remarks at an event marking the 50th anniversary of NASA, Monday, April 21, 2008.

CTV.ca | Stephen Hawking accepts post at Ontario institute

WATERLOO, Ont. -- Canada's profile in the international physics community got a huge boost Thursday as renowned "superstar" cosmologist Stephen Hawking accepted a research post at the country's "crown jewel" of theoretical physics study.

Hawking will hold the title of distinguished research chair at the prestigious Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Waterloo, Ont. The role will see him make regular visits to the southwestern Ontario city, beginning next summer.

"The appointment marks a new phase in our recruitment that will see leading scientists from around the world establish a second research home at Perimeter Institute," said institute director Neil Turok.

"I am delighted that Stephen has agreed to accept the first of a projected 40 such visiting chairs."

Shelley Page, the president of the Canadian Association of Physicists, said it's an exciting development for the physics community and for the country as a whole to have such a great mind coming to Canada.

"He's one of the few sort of recognized physics superstars," Page said.

"Stephen Hawking is probably one of the most famous contemporary theoretical physicists. He's sort of a household name, which is a feat in and of itself in such an abstract and theoretical discipline."

Having someone like Hawking associated with the Perimeter Institute, which Page called the "crown jewel in our theoretical physics resource portfolio," will serve to increase Canada's standing in the global physics community.

"That will just further help to attract even more prestigious international theorists to work in Canada," she said.

Rumours in the summer that Hawking would be moving to Canada were discounted by his aides at the time.

The famed cosmologist will retire from his prestigious post at Cambridge University next year.

Hawking, 66, is currently Lucasian Professor of Mathematics at the famed British university, a title once held by the great 18th-century physicist Isaac Newton.

He became a scientific celebrity through his theories on black holes and the nature of time, work that he carried on despite becoming paralyzed by motor neurone disease.

His 1988 book "A Brief History of Time" was an international bestseller; "A Briefer History of Time," intended to be more accessible, followed in 2005.

Hawking first earned prominence for his theoretical work on black holes. Disproving the belief that black holes are so dense that nothing could escape their gravitational pull, he showed that black holes leak a tiny bit of light and other types of radiation, now known as Hawking radiation.

The Perimeter Institute is a research centre devoted to theoretical physics that was founded in 1999 by Research In Motion co-CEO Mike Lazaridis.

Well there you go.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
i have always said that Canada would gain the recognition it deserved and Hawkings is a pretty good start.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Now they need to work on getting a top notch supercomputer. UofT is working on a 300+ terraflop (floating point operation) beast, which would move it from the 50 something fastest to the top ten in the world. The fastest in the world is the Roadrunner at the Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico, 1105 terraflops, or 1.105 petaflops, which means 1,105 trillion calculations each second!!!

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
That's great news! He creates a whole new level of interest where ever he goes. Suppose the Discovery Channel and the Ontario Science Centre will get him out to some special event?

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Well should we set up a debate db? I know you would do very well.
rgs
scth

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
If we set up a debate, we have to invite my brother. He completed his Masters thesis on axially symmetric black holes with distorted apparent horizons.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
If we set up a debate, we have to invite my brother. He completed his Masters thesis on axially symmetric black holes with distorted apparent horizons.

I know I'd have a lot to input into the debate, what with my arse alone can have a distorted apparent horizon after I eat a lot of spicy food, the methane expelled alone can void a large area of any known matter due to its toxic traits. :p

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
:pYah, I've heard your stories Prax. You keep messing with your brown star and you will have a black hole, and it won't be symmetrical!:p

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
"What I am going to tell you about is what we teach our physics students in the third or fourth year of graduate school... It is my task to convince you not to turn away because you don't understand it. You see my physics students don't understand it... That is because I don't understand it." Richard Feynman

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
That's an interesting achievement but black holes remain theoretical.

darkbeaver, most of the observations in astronomy remain uncertain and theoretical, so what is your point?

Everything, starting from the masses of the stars, red shift, distances of stars and galaxies from the sun etc., remain conjectural.

However, the existence of black holes has been predicted by astronomy, it presence is integrally woven into the tapestry of Cosmology.

So are black holes theoretical? Sure. But is there very good indication that they do exist? Again, sure.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Jeeez. Perhaps this posting of Hawking's may be a trigger that prods Canada and its provinces into doing some decent research into all manners of things like dumping dependency on oil and many other matters. Gawd forbid that we actually leap ahead of little places like Germany and Portugal in the realm of alternate energy research or something.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
The National research council is ramping up bio-diesel research. The Sandy Cove research station, it used to be a phenomenal aquaculture facility, and it still is, but soon won't be :( Using the algal bright box bioreactors to culture algae for oils.