New biological weapon: the dreaded bottle of breastmilk

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
On CTV news tonight there's a story of a mother who wasn't allowed to carry her baby's breastmilk on board a plane.
I think security measures like this are just inane. The stupidity of people who implement some of these measures just astounds me. This story is even more asinine than the 90+ yr old lady who couldn't bring her knitting on board cuz of her plastic needles.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
This is an old issue here in the US. People are now allowed to bring on a certain amount to feed a baby, but they have to demonstrate it's actually food before getting on the plane. I don't see the real need to bring breast milk on the plane if you're bringing your breasts though... seems a bit redundant.

AmberEyes

Sunshine
Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver Island
I guess you haven't heard that not all women can feed their children at will. Sometimes they need a pump, and sometimes that reserve milk is all they have for their kids.

It's ridiculous that it's not allowed on a plane. It's just milk!

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I guess you haven't heard that not all women can feed their children at will. Sometimes they need a pump, and sometimes that reserve milk is all they have for their kids.

It's ridiculous that it's not allowed on a plane. It's just milk!

I was being a little facetious. I have heard of it, most of the moms I work with can't feed their infants by breast for a LONG time. But, you can always bring a handpump on the plane with you, pump and then feed the little one by bottle. If you aren't producing enough when you pump for a whole feeding then your also going to need formula.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
tracy,
I understand your pov.
But disallowing breast milk on a plane.
What has this planet come to.

regards,
scratch

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Its all fun and games until someone uses that method to bring something in.

Of course part of the issue is, you can't live in a perfectly safe world. You have to accept danger for liberty and prosperity.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
CATSA clearly lays out the rules for travelling with breast milk, just as the TSA does in the US. $10 says this person didn't bother to read the rules. You have to be travelling with the infant to carry on breast milk in Canada and they limit it to what can fit in a 1l bag in 100ml bottles. Otherwise you can just put it in your checked baggage and avoid any hassle. I personally think the rule is a little stupid, but I sympathize with the security people since they don't have any say on the rules. They just have to enforce them. I can relate. I sometimes slack off on being really strict with the rules at work that I think are silly and it almost always comes back to bite me in the butt.

Also, I travel a LOT between the US and Canada and I get so sick of being in the security line behind people who refuse to read the rules before they travel and then waste all of our time arguing with the security folks. I've seen countless people argue about their bottle of water or the perfume they bought or the hair products they want to bring with them. They ALWAYS have the option of putting them with their checked baggage. Call the airline before you travel if you're confused about the rules. Don't think the airport security people will make an exception for you because you aren't special as far as they're concerned. I go home to Canada from LA at least 3 times a year and take 2 or 3 other flights within the US. I've never had a problem getting on a plane because I learn what the rules are before I fly. I did have to throw out some stuff when I flew the day after the new liquid rules went into effect, but I accepted that since I really should have checked into things that morning.

Last edited: