Bin Laden 'cut off from al-Qaeda'

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

BBC NEWS | Americas | Bin Laden 'cut off from al-Qaeda'

The CIA says Osama Bin Laden is isolated from the day-to-day operations of al-Qaeda, but that the organisation is still the greatest threat to the US.

CIA director Michael Hayden said the Saudi militant was probably hiding in the tribal area of north-west Pakistan.

Gen Hayden said that Bin Laden was "putting a lot of energy into his own survival" and that his capture remained the US government's top priority.

Wait, first he says Al'Q is the greatest threat to the US, implying focus being mainly on Al'Q..... yet then they say Osama is still their top priority..... So which is it?

But he warned that al-Qaeda continued to grow in Africa and the Middle East.
In a speech to the Atlantic Council on Thursday, Gen Hayden said: "[Bin Laden] is putting a lot of energy into his own survival, a lot of energy into his own security."

"In fact, he appears to be largely isolated from the day-to-day operations of the organisation he nominally heads."

However, Gen Hayden added: "If there is a major strike on this country, it will bear the fingerprints of al-Qaeda."

Wow, fearmongering at its best..... either that or a setup at its best.

"Ohhh.... well if anything happens to the US, it has to be Al-Qaeda.... I just know it"

fk'n loser, didn't you learn anything in the last 8 years about assumptions with no evidence?

The CIA believes progress has been made in curbing al-Qaeda's activities in the Philippines, Indonesia, Saudi Arabia and Iraq.

However, Gen Hayden said other areas were showing an increase in activity, including:

East Africa: "Al-Qaeda is engaging Somali extremists to revitalise operations... al-Qaeda could claim to be re-establishing its operations base in East Africa"

The Maghreb: Attacks have worsened since the merger in 2006 of al-Qaeda and the Algerian militant group, the Salafist Group for Preaching and Combat (GSPC). The GSPC has renamed itself al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb

Yemen: Saw an "unprecedented number of attacks" in 2008, and could become a launch-pad for attacks in Saudi Arabia

Pakistan: Safe haven has allowed al-Qaeda to train a "bench of skilled operatives"
Nevertheless, the CIA chief said the hunt for Bin Laden remained the top priority of the US security forces.

"His death or capture clearly would have a significant impact on the confidence of his followers - both core al-Qaeda and unaffiliated extremists throughout the world," he said.
Gen Hayden was appointed in May 2006 by President George W Bush but it remains to be seen whether he will retain his job when President-elect Barack Obama takes office in January.

Well if all those other places are giving the Al'Q a place to grow and prosper, then why isn't the US sending their war machines there..... you're either with them or against them..... clearly they're against the US for supporting this organization in their lands, so I guess it's time to start leveling out some more countries.

On a side note, the more and more I hear about Osama from US intelligence, the more I start to think he's Santa Claus...... AKA: Doesn't exist or no longer exists.

fubbleskag

noYOUshutup
Sep 10, 2004
Indiana, IN
www.speedofwood.com
On a side note, the more and more I hear about Osama from US intelligence, the more I start to think he's Santa Claus...... AKA: Doesn't exist or no longer exists.
most of the deathpools i'm in have a special clause for if you choose osama and it's determined he actually died in a previous year but his death has been kept secret for whatever reason.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
With all due respect to you sir,

What planet do you hail from?

scratch