Flaherty less than reassured by Obama aides on NAFTA

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Flaherty less than reassured by Obama aides on NAFTA

Alia McMullen, Canwest News Service

Published: Wednesday, November 12, 2008
TORONTO - The Canadian government is prepared to use its status as an "emerging energy superpower" after talks with the incoming U.S. administration failed to "reassure" Canada the North American Free Trade Agreement would remain unchallenged. Canada also seeks to expand ties with other countries to reduce its dependence on U.S. trade, Jim Flaherty, the Finance Minister, said Wednesday.

Speaking to business leaders in Toronto, Flaherty said he had met with the economic advisers to Barack Obama, the U.S. president-elect, and had discussed the emergence of U.S. protectionist rhetoric during the election campaign, including threats to renegotiate NAFTA.

Asked whether he was "reassured" the United States would stick to the current agreement, which was signed by Canada, the United States and Mexico in 1993, Flaherty said, "I don't know I'd go that far."

Obama had raised the issue of abandoning the trade agreement as a means of protecting U.S. jobs, industry and interests amid the onset of difficult economic conditions. Canada has not pushed for renegotiations, but appears ready to go to the table if forced.

"In terms of the American-Canadian relationship, we are an emerging energy superpower," Flaherty said. "If NAFTA were to be reopened . . . we do want to have discussions and conditions on energy security."

He also said it was not in countries' interest to restrict trade at a time when emerging-market economies would drive global growth.

"The emerging economies are going to lead us out of this (economic downturn)," he said. "They're the ones that still have growth. If you look at Brazil, India and China and some of the other emerging economies, they are going to be the engine getting us out of this."

With Canadian living standards highly dependent on trade with other countries, Flaherty said the government wanted to expand its trade network and was furthering negotiations with the European Union with "full force."

"Over time, we don't want to have less trade with the United States, but we want to have more trade with the EU and with other nations," Flaherty said.
Source: Flaherty less than reassured by Obama aides on NAFTA

On Nafta, Harper took a different view than Calderon and Bush, saying that while Canada doesn't want to renegotiate the agreement, the nation would be in a stronger negotiating position than it was two decades ago.

``We are the main source of energy security'' for the U.S., Harper said. ``If one of our partners wants to renegotiate Nafta, then we would be ready for that.''
Canada, the biggest U.S. trading partner, is also the biggest source of U.S. oil. Under Nafta, the U.S. has priority access to Canadian oil.

With his references to energy today, Harper hinted that Canada might attempt to repeal that provision in a renegotiation, allowing countries such as China to tap into its oil reserves, the largest outside the Middle East.

``If we had to look at this kind of an option, we would be in an even stronger position now than we were 20 years ago,'' Harper said.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I'm assuming we have ordered suitable anti-aircraft equipment. Emerging Energy Superpower christ that newspeak has got to go, that freakin oil threatens our very existance, we should pump it east as fast as we can to pave the Maritimes and rebuild the fishery.

sideways--but did I hear today that Mr Flairity borrowed 50 billion in our name from banks to lend to banks so the banks wouldn't have to use theirs.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I'm assuming we have ordered suitable anti-aircraft equipment. Emerging Energy Superpower christ that newspeak has got to go, that freakin oil threatens our very existance, we should pump it east as fast as we can to pave the Maritimes and rebuild the fishery.

sideways--but did I hear today that Mr Flairity borrowed 50 billion in our name from banks to lend to banks so the banks wouldn't have to use theirs.
Yes, they borrowed from the banks to buy mortgages from banks. This way banks could lend more money that the feds could guarantee to repurchase in the future.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I love the buzz words and phrases, like "injecting cash". Most people call that printing money out of thin air.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
A reorganized NAFTA/Auto Pact might spare Oshawa and Oakville from becoming ghost towns and Toronto bedrooms in the next decade and will put lumbermill workers back to work. Lumber, minerals and oil should, for all intents and purposes, be processed here.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
How come we go to jail for hat?

For the same reason why you goto jail if you sell tobacco illegally..... the government wants to maintain a monopoly and they don't get their taxes from our addictions if people buy on the street.

And if everybody started printing their own money, then our economy would probably be not much better then Zimbabwe's, so there's one difference from tobacco.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
A reorganized NAFTA/Auto Pact might spare Oshawa and Oakville from becoming ghost towns and Toronto bedrooms in the next decade and will put lumbermill workers back to work. Lumber, minerals and oil should, for all intents and purposes, be processed here.

Hey lone and good morning,

In my opinion re the auto industry, can't agree. Windsor soon enough will be seeing too many 18 wheelers and rail cars moving equipment out to the American side.
As to the second part of your comment I heartily agree: our resources stay here and should be processed here.

regs,
scratch

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
For the same reason why you goto jail if you sell tobacco illegally..... the government wants to maintain a monopoly and they don't get their taxes from our addictions if people buy on the street.

And if everybody started printing their own money, then our economy would probably be not much better then Zimbabwe's, so there's one difference from tobacco.

Humour. Sad life without it

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

Oh I can well imagine the bottleneck at Windsor. I saw the same thing on Front Street, Sturgeon Falls when Weyerhauser moved the paper mill - and felt it long before when they Free Traded away my hole in the ground. I'm saying if NAFTA is to be re-organized to suit protectionist measures, we can do the same and block the moves. Fair is fair, right? Auto Pact (although technically, it doesn't exist any more, a global agreement does) didn't save the Canadian auto industry. It got us putting together American kits. Where are the McLaughlins? ...Dorts? ...Grahams? - even Canadian marques like Meteor and Beaumont?

Last edited: