Pictured: The dramatic moment a footballer is hit by a rocket fired by opposition

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Sectarianism between Catholics and Protestants reared its ugly head in Britain again last night after Catholic thugs threw a lighted firework at a footballer in Belfast.

Cliftonville, which is supported mainly by Catholics, played Linfield, which is supported mainly by Protestants. After the match in the County Antrim Shield, which Cliftonville won 2-1, Cliftonville fans threw at rocket at Linfield's Conor Hagan.

Luckily, Hagan wasn't badly injured.

Fireworks are in plentiful supply as Northern Ireland, and the rest of the UK, celebrates Guy Fawkes Night tonight which, ironically, is a night we celebrate a plot by Catholic terrorists to blow up King James I and Parliament in 1605.

Pictured: The dramatic moment a footballer is hit by a rocket fired by opposition supporters

By Daily Mail Reporter
05th November 2008
Daily Mail

A football player was hit by a firework launched by opposition fans moments after the whistle was blown at the end of a cup final match last night.

Conor Hagan fell to the ground after being struck in the back by the rocket before it exploded.

His team Linfield had just suffered a 2-1 defeat by sectarian rivals Cliftonville in the County Antrim Shield final at Windsor Park in Belfast.

Attack: Conor Hagan is hit by a firework after losing the County Antrim Shield

Fall: The Linfield player, 26, plunges to the ground after the strike in Belfast

Shock: Hagan lies on his back after the rocket bounced off him and exploded

The attack, which sparked riots afterwards, came as players for Cliftonville, a largely Catholic-supported side, had missiles thrown at them by fans of the losing side, which is typically followed by protestants in the divided city.

Hagan, 26, was tended by team medics and members of both sides before being able to regain his feet.

'I was lying on the ground disgusted with the result and didn’t see the firework coming,' he told the Belfast Telegraph.

‘It hit me on the back when it went off and it was more the bang that scared me and I was in shock for few seconds.

Chris Scannell rushes to Hagen's aid moments after the incident

Hagen lies motionless has paramedics rush to his aid

Hagen is helped up by paramedics and club doctors

‘It could have been a lot worse so I am relieved that I am not injured.’

The attack came as many people in the province - like the rest of the UK – prepared to celebrate Bonfire Night tonight.

Fireworks have been on sale at major supermarkets for weeks in preparation for the event.
Afterwards, police were called to riots between fans of the two sides in the Newtownards Road area of East Belfast.

Linfield manager David Jeffrey said: ‘The last thing that I want to do is inflame the situation.

‘I don’t want to talk about one idiot, but it has got to be condemned outright.’

Cliftonville coach Eddie Patterson, who was the subject of a death threat before the Irish Cup semi-final last season, also condemned the incident.

‘I don’t even want to highlight it that much - it only gives these people publicity. It has no place in football.

‘Some of my own players had missiles thrown at them, but I would rather talk about the Linfield fans who applauded us off the pitch. That’s what football’s about.’

Rocket man: Conor Hagen walks from the field after being struck by the firework

Riots: Protestant and Catholic fans clashed in East Belfast after the incident

dailymail.co.uk

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
How stupid. He could have been seriously hurt(or even killed if it went off in his face)! And all over a football game. The ones that do that aren't fans, they're nothing but worthless punks with nothing else to do but ruin other people's evening.:roll:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Shadow, you should check out the hooligans from Poland. They'll beat and maim for their teams.