Baby killer given life sentence

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

BBC NEWS | UK | England | South Yorkshire | Baby killer given life sentence

A father who murdered his baby daughter by snapping her spine will spend at least 22 years in prison.

James Howson, 25, was given a life sentence at Leeds Crown Court for the murder of 16-month-old Amy at their home in Doncaster, South Yorkshire.

He was convicted of murder on Tuesday after a jury heard he held Amy over his knee and broke her back in two.

Amy's mother Tina Hunt, 26, was given a 12-month suspended sentence after admitting child cruelty.

Sentencing Howson, the judge, Mrs Justice Cox, said: "This was, in my view, a chilling and brutal attack."

"The bone was completely dislocated, resulting in spinal shock, rapid unconsciousness - mercifully - and to death."

'Truly horrific'

During the trial Howson blamed Ms Hunt, saying she may have been responsible for Amy's death.

But the judge said: "The jury was satisfied, on the clearest of evidence, that it was you who deliberately inflicted truly horrific injuries upon your defenceless little daughter, Amy, from which she died within a few hours."
The judge also detailed other occasions in the weeks leading up to the murder in December last year when Howson "cruelly and deliberately assaulted Amy", leaving her with multiple fractures to her arms and legs.

The court heard how Howson had a troubled history and had been violent towards women when he was young, yet he had no previous convictions.

Howson showed no emotion as he was led from the dock.

The judge said to him: "I have not seen the slightest evidence of remorse from you for what you did."

Hunt's 12-month sentence was suspended for two years.

She admitted the child cruelty charge on the basis that she did nothing to alert the authorities to her daughter's plight.

But the judge said: "Your level of culpability falls at the lowest end of the scale", after hearing how Howson completely dominated her and was often violent.

She said Hunt was also in the lowest 1% band of intelligence.

Outside court Amy's grandfather, Colin Hunt, said: "Life should mean life but what can you say? That's justice for you."

"Twenty-two years is all right but it won't bring Amy back, will it?"

"I have 16 grandchildren. They are all beautiful and he's taken one away. I idolise them."
"I'm very angry. If I could have done something I would have. She was my granddaughter."

Too bad they couldn't execute.... but at least the judge ripped the sh*t out of him and sentenced him to life.... I guess there's only so much you can do.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
Well, if British prisoners have the same sort of "code" that they have in the US, baby killers and child rapists aren't too highly regarded. I suspect that after word gets out to the other inmates about what he did, he'll be wishing they had the death penalty there...

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Nice to see that the other person who is suppose to protect this child held somewhat accountable.

What a monster this sad sack of flesh is. I loathe to even use the word human in the same sentence.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Nice to see that the other person who is suppose to protect this child held somewhat accountable.

What a monster this sad sack of flesh is. I loathe to even use the word human in the same sentence.

I totally agree with you , but why not life without parole. Well once he is in prison he will pay for his action. Even the prisoners have lines that one does not cross.

scratch

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Calling him a scumbag is a insult to other scumbags. Words can't adequately describe how revolting that sad sack of **** is.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
but why not life without parole. Well once he is in prison he will pay for his action. Even the prisoners have lines that one does not cross

I'm all for life in prison being life. I'm also all for the mother actually serving time too. She is suppose to protect her baby.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
I'm all for life in prison being life. I'm also all for the mother actually serving time too. She is suppose to protect her baby.

Twila,

Will we ever get this straight?

Justice is not was it once was.

A century ago this would have been taken care of quickly, not that I am condoning action such as this but the system is broken and can never be fixed. So IMO the people have to take action regardless of the current `law ???`.

Vigilantism, I do not know but action is needed.

scratch

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Will we ever get this straight?

Probably not. When the rights of one trumps the rights of many...or when sympathy is given as though it were the same as empathy...

He will serve a hellish sentence in prison, this I know. But even if the mother had been given time, she'd have been given all kinds of sympathy and excuses why she isn't responsible for her actions...

Maybe one day women will realize we are responsible for our actions, our inactions, and our choices...then we'll truely be equal and we'll see the strength we have.