china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
[SIZE=+1]Titanic survivor to sell off mementoes to pay medical fees[/SIZE]
China National News
Friday 17th October, 2008
(IANS)

The last remaining survivor of the Titanic in Britain has said she is forced to sell mementoes from the ill-fated cruise liner to pay for her nursing home fees, reports said.

Millvina Dean, 96, is hoping to raise more than 3,000 pounds ($5,200) from selling a suitcase full of clothes given to her family by the people of New York when they arrived in America after their rescue.

Dean is also putting up for auction rare prints of the Titanic which have been signed by the artists along with compensation letters sent to her mother by the Titanic Relief Fund.

Dean was a two-month-old baby when the ship sank after hitting an iceberg in 1912.

She moved into a private nursing home in Ashurst, in the southern English county of Hampshire, two years ago after breaking her hip, which meant she could no longer live in her own home.

'I am selling it all now because I have to pay these nursing home fees and am selling anything that I think might fetch some money,' she told the Southern Daily Echo newspaper. The items will be auctioned Saturday

Reactions: dancing-loon

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
[SIZE=+1]Titanic survivor to sell off mementoes to pay medical fees[/SIZE]
China National News
Friday 17th October, 2008
(IANS)

The last remaining survivor of the Titanic in Britain has said she is forced to sell mementoes from the ill-fated cruise liner to pay for her nursing home fees, reports said.

Millvina Dean, 96, is hoping to raise more than 3,000 pounds ($5,200) from selling a suitcase full of clothes given to her family by the people of New York when they arrived in America after their rescue.

Dean is also putting up for auction rare prints of the Titanic which have been signed by the artists along with compensation letters sent to her mother by the Titanic Relief Fund.

Dean was a two-month-old baby when the ship sank after hitting an iceberg in 1912.

She moved into a private nursing home in Ashurst, in the southern English county of Hampshire, two years ago after breaking her hip, which meant she could no longer live in her own home.

'I am selling it all now because I have to pay these nursing home fees and am selling anything that I think might fetch some money,' she told the Southern Daily Echo newspaper. The items will be auctioned Saturday

That is truly sad for the lady in question, but I thought that anything relating to the Titanic and its possessions could not be sold as they were considered to be the property of the state or `the historic` site it was declared to be.

I am not fully clear on this and any more precise info would help.

Regards,
scratch

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I believe what you're referring to didn't apply to people who survived scratch. You can't just take someone's personal stuff away from them.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
I believe what you're referring to didn't apply to people who survived scratch. You can't just take someone's personal stuff away from them.

I've watched a lot about the tragedy of the Titanic. But as per law I am not sure.
I trust your statement to be true.

Regards,
scratch