Racist Scottish tourist attraction bans English tourists and smashes English items

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A racist, anti-English tourist attraction in Scotland has caused outrage after it banned English visitors and encouraged people from other countries cto bring with them typically English objects to destroy.

English tourists are allowed into the event but only if they sign a scroll swearing allegiance to Scotland.

All this is for the Scots to get "revenge" on the English over the Battle of Falkirk - which took place way back in 1298.

The battle was a decisive English victory.

Imagine the uproar amongst the Scots if a similar tourist attraction in England banned Scots and encouraged visitors to bring Scottish objects with them to destroy?

One man, the Convener of the Society of William Wallace, said that it was all "tongue-in-cheek." But when England fans, during the World Cup in 2006 in Germany chanted things such as "Ten German Bombers" and "My Grandad killed Your Grandad" (for something that happened a mere 60 years ago rather than 700 years ago) in the middle of a German city, would he also have considered that a bit of tongue in cheek fun?

Scottish tourist attraction bans English visitors in revenge for 1298 battle

A popular Scottish tourist attraction provoked outrage by banning English visitors and destroying 'English' items such as bone china and the works of Shakespeare.

By Simon Johnson
22 Jul 2008
Daily Mail

A march in 2005 to mark the the Seven Hundredth Anniversary of the Murder of William Wallace Photo: ABBIE TRAYLER-SMITH

The Edinburgh Dungeon said the one-day event is in revenge for the Battle of Falkirk, fought 710 years ago July 21st, at which more than 2,000 Scots were slaughtered by the Auld Enemy.

English visitors will only be allowed entry if they sign a scroll swearing allegiance to Scotland, while those from other countries will be encouraged to bring in items deemed 'typically English’ to be smashed.

The attraction, which is visited by 200,000 people per year insisted the measures were a fitting tribute to the Scots soldiers who were killed and their leader, William Wallace.

But it faces a growing backlash from English tourists appalled that they were being singled out for something that happened so long ago.

Victoria Price, 26, from Manchester, currently holidaying in Edinburgh, said: “I was planning to visit the Dungeon because I had heard it was fun. But I wouldn’t give them my money now.

“The Battle of Falkirk was more than 700 years ago for Heaven’s sake. It should be put in the past, but it seems some people find that very hard.”

King Edward I, known as the Hammer of the Scots, decided to crush them in revenge for Wallace’s victory at Stirling Bridge in 1297 and assembled a massive army of more than 20,000 men.

In the battle, on July 22 1298, Wallace’s army of only around 6,000 men was destroyed by Edward’s longbows, although at the cost of almost 2,000 English casualties.

The attraction has a feature about Wallace, in which a ghost of the legendary Scots leader urges Scots to fight on against the invading “tyrannical” English.

Played by John Smeaton, one of the heroes who prevented last year’s terror attack at Glasgow Airport, he tells how thousands of Scottish soldiers were massacred.

Ian Scouller, the Dungeon’s manager, said: “People, not just from Scotland but from all over the world, said we should do something to commemorate that battle and get a bit of revenge.

“One visitor said we should mark the day by banning the English. We welcome more than 600 visitors every day. Many of them are English, and I expect we will take a hit in the pocket.”

But he claimed that Wallace and the Scots soldiers who fell that day would approve, adding: “The only way the English will be allowed in is if they sign a scroll pledging allegiance to Scotland - the kind of thing Edward I routinely did to Scots.”

Mr Scouller, a Glaswegian, also detailed another way for Scots to “gain revenge”.

He said: “People are invited to bring scones, tea bags, English literature, fine bone china or anything else typically English. We plan to smash them with a sword like the one Wallace carried.”

David Ross, Convener of the Society of William Wallace, described the ban on English visitors as “comical” and praised the Dungeon for marking the battle.

He added: “I’m sure it is meant tongue in cheek, but the English did far worse things to the Scots in Wallace’s time.”

The Edinburgh Dungeon is one of Edinburgh’s five most popular tourist attractions and is part of a chain, with other branches in London, York, Hamburg and Amsterdam.

In addition to its Wallace feature, exhibits include a torture chamber with thumb-screws, flesh tearers and head crushers, once used in Scotland to punish criminals.

Visitors also hear tales of some of Scotland’s most macabre criminals including notorious body snatchers Burke and Hare and cannibal Sawney Bean.

READERS' COMMENTS

"I remember England fans in 2006 getting slammed because some of the brian dead among them were singing "Ten German Bombers" and "My Grandad killed Your Grandad" in the middle of a German city.

Was that a bit of tongue in cheek fun? Or racist stupidity?

As for English being a nationality rather than a race, the same goes for Scottish, Welsh, German, Spanish, French, Italians, etc, so lets not play semantics.

I think its wrong to tar all Scots with the same brush here. But lets not brush this off as a joke, its about as boring and vile as the anti German antics of some of the English.
Scott."

Scott

"As a Northern Irishman, who has recently served in war with fellow soldiers from all over the UK and beyond, I feel a great cultural and historical link with Scotland (after all we did conquer the country and give it it's name in the Dark Ages). However this article fills me with disgust. Having lived through the senseless hatred and violence of the current phase of 'The Troubles', it beggars belief that anyone would actively promote this kind of racist sectarianism in a relatively peaceful country.

Shame on the organisers, and shame on the police if they do not enforce the law and put a stop to this Scottish equivalent of 'Krystal-Nacht' "

Col

"I'm a pragmatist.

"Jacobite allies ? I see Scottish regiments singing " God Save The Queen. "

Scottish oil ? Isn't it in International waters ?"

Ssrarsfields ghos

"My mother is scottish and I've told her I wish she was dead. This article just goes to prove how evil and disgusting scottish people are."

Jus
"Brilliant idea.... perhaps the Holocaust museum will follow the lead and ban all Germans for one day a year (you know just for revenge)...."

Robin Parsons

"Ive got a good idea, lets stop giving them english money!!!"

English till I die

"We all know the Scots spread hatred for the English across the world, but they are so openly nasty, and proud of it, that I feel greatly angered. What kind of people would spread hatred for my young, innocent children?

What can we do to stop this? How many more centuries will the Scots spread their rot and filth?

"I feel sickened by our neighbours. They make me vomit with their nasty, evil racist behavious."

- helen Wright

"Grow up you miserable toe-rags, the world moves on. It's about time you lot did."

- Keith Simmonds

"Speaks volumes of the mentality of many, but not all, Scots.

Give them home rule immediately and ship their fellow Jocks in Westminster back, pronto."

- Gordon Pergrove

"This is so typical of the Scots"

- william wallace was a big jessie

"I suggest that all Scottish people working/living in England be asked to swear an oath of allegiance to England. If they refuse, boot them back to Scotterland."

home rule for england

"Shame on Scotland."

tina

"Scottish education - paid for by English tax-payers."

Patrick Harris

"Time we dumped Gordon Brown (Oh yeah, another Scot) back up in Scotland where he belongs."

- Alfred

"I understand that their diet of deep fried Mars bars and sour grapes has reduced life expectancy to less than that of third world countries as it is.

I hope the weather is nice for you little shindig ~ not to sunny so that your little ginger heeds don't get too inflamed.

Toodle pip, porridge monkeys."

Viscount Humphrey III

telegraph.co.uk

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Unless "English" has become a race, it isn't racist. It's bigotry perhaps... but if it's the worst thing that they do, I don't think it's that bad. I don't get why people in that part of the world are concerned about things that happened centuries ago.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Unless "English" has become a race, it isn't racist. It's bigotry perhaps... but if it's the worst thing that they do, I don't think it's that bad. I don't get why people in that part of the world are concerned about things that happened centuries ago.

Don't you people speak English???? Tracy said the rest quite well. Besides, it all sounds like humour anyhow. Of course, having staunchly British grandparents, I know all about the British sense of humour, It's funny when THEY do it....

Last edited:

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Since when are the English not a race? What exactly are these racial lines here?

Are Germans a race? They thought so, they also thought the English were a race.

If its not racism to discriminate on the English on some imaginary technicality then its not technically racist to discriminate against Jewish people, the Irish, Muslims etc.

How the English are not a seperate race from the Scottish I do not know.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Racist has to be about the most abused word in the English language. It gets used as dramatic emphasis and substitute for the word discriminatory - which just has too many syllables to be hissed out in passionate rage....

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Racist has to be about the most abused word in the English language. It gets used as dramatic emphasis and substitute for the word discriminatory - which just has too many syllables to be hissed out in passionate rage....

yet this is racist. The problem isn't the abuse of the word, its that people tend to view people of different races as all one and the same.

Hutus and Tutsis can tell themselves apart, to many people they are just black.

Like wise its easy to tell a Scot and an Englishman apart (well, as easy as it is to tell any two races apart, I mean, "The Rock" Dwayne Johnson is black but most assume he's white)

Even in the responses to the article they have English people commenting on Gingers.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
yet this is racist. The problem isn't the abuse of the word, its that people tend to view people of different races as all one and the same.

Hutus and Tutsis can tell themselves apart, to many people they are just black.

Like wise its easy to tell a Scot and an Englishman apart (well, as easy as it is to tell any two races apart, I mean, "The Rock" Dwayne Johnson is black but most assume he's white)

Even in the responses to the article they have English people commenting on Gingers.

I suggest you purchase a dictionary. Race is a physical thing. Anything else is just a difference - in nationality, hair colour, language, town, living condition.... One just has to think one is better than the other.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
I suggest you purchase a dictionary. Race is a physical thing. Anything else is just a difference - in nationality, hair colour, language, town, living condition.... One just has to think one is better than the other.

Oh, hair colour isn't a physical thing, but skin colour is?

What exactly are "physical things" if not things like hair, eye, skin colour, bone structure, hair type, facial features...

Those are all physical things. Hair colour is very much an indicator of Race and a very good indicator of genetic ancestry.

Scots and English are different races with vastly different ancestries over the last few thousand years

RACE:
5. Biology
a. An interbreeding, usually geographically isolated population of organisms differing from other populations of the same species in the frequency of hereditary traits. A race that has been given formal taxonomic recognition is known as a subspecies.

Hereditary traits include things like hair and eye colour.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
"English" is a language, a cultural group, a nationality, an ethnicity.... they have been mixed with many different groups over the years. It isn't a race. When the census asks for your race, they are asking if you are white, black, asian, etc. So... if you hate English people, you are a bigot. If you hate white people, then you're a racist.

Race is really a social construct anyways, there is no true scientific evidence that races are actually very different from eachother. All you can really say about humans is we tend to look like those whose ancestors lived nearer to ours more than those whose ancestors come from far away.

Last edited:

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Scots and English are different races with vastly different ancestries over the last few thousand years.

Line up a bunch of Scottish people with English people and you won't be able to pick them apart reliably because they've evolved together on a pretty small island. Contrast that by lining up people who are Asian with people who are African. There's the difference.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Contrast that by lining up people who are Asian with people who are African

Depending on which part of Asia they come from you may not be able to tell the difference until they start to speak...

Last edited:

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Line up a bunch of Scottish people with English people and you won't be able to pick them apart reliably because they've evolved together on a pretty small island. Contrast that by lining up people who are Asian with people who are African. There's the difference.

Contrast that with people from different parts of Asia, or different parts of Africa. Races are more Subtle than the ones you let on, which is a unique perspective of North America.

Ie, from Lone Wolfs Article:

By 30,000 years ago the divergent evolutionary branching or dividing of the human species had produced five main lines or subspecies which are still extant -- the Congoid of West Africa; the Capoid of East and South Africa (later replaced in East Africa by the Congoid); the Australoid of India, Burma, Malaya, Indonesia, New Guinea and Australia; the Mongoloid of East Asia (later expanding to the southwest into Burma, Malaya and Indonesia, largely replacing the indigenous Australoids) and the Caucasoid of Europe, North Africa and West Asia (partly replacing the Mongoloids in the Americas after A.D. 1492 and the Australoids in Australia after A.D. 1788). These subspecies branched or divided in turn into separate races, and these races branched in their turn into subraces, as part of the continuing process of divergent evolution.

The very article he mentions lists over 20.

Also, "Easily visible" depends on what you are looking for. If you cover peoples skin, its alot harder to tell the difference between some European and African races then it is between two different African or two different European races.

Skin colour and eye shape are not the only physical differences that define race, in some races they aren't even criteria.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Well you can go with some pretty obvious ones, scotts have more Gaelic blood in them, and heavier norse influence.

Lighter hair and lighter skin are more common. Certain other hereditary features are more common.