darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Pictou County moose fell from chopper

Department of Natural Resources now reviewing rescue procedures

Last Updated: Friday, October 3, 2008 | 5:28 PM AT Comments51Recommend35

CBC News

It turns out the moose that died Thursday was dropped from a helicopter.
The Nova Scotia Department of Natural Resources initially said the endangered moose likely died of a combination of drugs and stress.
But on Friday,a spokesman for the department admitted the net that held the moose came loose from the cable as the helicopter took off.
"When the moose was first put into a sling for transport, it fell approximately 12 or 15 feet when being lifted by the helicopter," said Dan Davis.
"We wanted to let people know that," he said. "We don't know at this point, but it may have contributed to its death."
Wildlife officers moved in Thursday to relocate the young bull moose after it was spotted roaming near the town of Pictou. They feared the animal might cause a traffic accident.
A spokesman said officers shot the animal with a tranquillizer dart, then hoisted it by helicopter. By the time it was lowered to a waiting trailer, the moose was dead.
Information about the fall wasn't available Thursday afternoon, Davis said, adding the department is now reviewing its procedures.
A veterinarian is examining the moose to determine the cause of death.
The mainland Nova Scotia moose was declared an endangered species in 2003. There are only an estimated 1,000 animals left in isolated areas, a decline of 20 per cent over the past three decades.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Oh my goodness.... shouldn't laugh...

the fall might have contributed to its death? But they're not sure? Really?

LOL. Glad they're bringing in the experts to figure this mystery out. Phew.

Hyack

rampant member
Sep 6, 2008
Sapperton BC
While I fully agree it is tragic to lose any wild animal to an unfortunate accident, or if they are interfering with humans.....in this case all the bears being shot. The thing I really want to know is..........where the hell was Rocky?....

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
oh Beaver - I laughed out loud when I read the title of this thread, but it's not a funny story at all. That poor moose.:-(

But Zan if this be unfunny then nothing is. I was a guest cannibis taster at a house last evening where we barely skirted death by laughter. This does not dishonour the moose but just the opposite.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:angry3:.......""....The mainland Nova Scotia moose was declared an endangered species in 2003. There are only an estimated 1,000 animals left in isolated areas, a decline of 20 per cent over the past three decades.""