Teams have found wreckage of Fossett plane: police

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

This image shows a color photocopy provided Wednesday, Oct. 1, 2008 by the Madera County Sheriff's Dept. of the reverse side of three pieces of identification believed to belong to Steve Fossett. They were found by a hiker in a rugged part of eastern California.

Steve Fossett arrives at Kent International Airport in England on Feb. 11, 2006.
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...1001/search_Fossett_081002/20081002?hub=World

Police have confirmed that wreckage found in eastern California is of the plane that adventurer Steve Fossett piloted when he disappeared more than a year ago.

Authorities said the confirmation came around 11 p.m. local time on Wednesday night that there was enough left of the plane to confirm it was Fossett's single-engine Bellanca plane.

At a press conference on Thursday, Madera County sheriff John Anderson said searchers will now walk arm-to-arm walk for about a kilometre-and-a-half around the crash site in their search for human remains.

The search started on Wednesday in a rugged part of eastern California after a hiker found identification documents, some of which were confirmed by the Federal Aviation Administration and local police to match up with the American adventurer.

Preston Morrow was hiking just west of the town of Mammoth Lakes on Monday and said he found Fossett's FAA identity card, a pilot's licence, a third ID and $1,005 cash tangled in a bush off a trail.

Local police authenticated two of the documents, including Fossett's pilot's licence.

Police would not release details of the exact location of the possible wreckage.

First clue in over a year

The IDs were the first sign of Fossett's whereabouts since he vanished after taking off in a borrowed plane from a Nevada ranch owned by hotel magnate Barron Hilton on Sept. 3, 2007.

After a search spanning 32,000 square kilometres, the famed aviator was declared legally dead by a judge in February.

The discovery of Fossett's IDs gave his widow renewed hope.

"I am hopeful that this search will locate the crash site and my husband's remains," Peggy Fossett said in a statement Wednesday. "I am grateful to all of those involved in this effort."

Mammoth Lakes, about 145 kilometres south of the ranch Fossett took off from over a year ago, had not been considered a likely place to find the plane.

Aviators flew over the area but given what searchers knew about sightings of Fossett's plane, his plans for when he had intended to return and the amount of fuel he had in the plane, they concentrated their search north of the town.

I bet he's lying on a beach somewhere with Hitler and Elvis.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
No, that's all fake, planted by the US gov't.

See Fawcett was in on 9/11, so they've had to fake his death.

That explains the crashing of the plane...... BWAAA HAAA HAAA HAAAA......

Prax made a funny.

..... seriously, you readers who are offended.... lighten up.

But it would be interesting to hear if they find a body or not.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
By the look of those papers, I'd guess the critters got him....

The thing that kinda sticks out for me is this:

Preston Morrow was hiking just west of the town of Mammoth Lakes on Monday and said he found Fossett's FAA identity card, a pilot's licence, a third ID and $1,005 cash tangled in a bush off a trail.

Was this very close to the downed plane or a good distance away?

This was just off a trail of course..... why would this identification be so far away from the aircraft or a body?

Not enough details at this time.... but the way it's worded so far, it sounds kinda odd to say the least.

Added:

If the body was away from the plane, as they claim they're doing a search in the area of the crash, then chances are he would have been alive at some point and could have set off a beacon or signal.... if none was available, this trail doesn't seem that far away from civilization.

Even if he was crippled and near death, that doesn't explain how his money and ID's got strung into a bush off a trail.....

.... did he explode?

Turn into a Bush like in Zelda?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
The thing that kinda sticks out for me is this:

Was this very close to the downed plane or a good distance away?

This was just off a trail of course..... why would this identification be so far away from the aircraft or a body?

Not enough details at this time.... but the way it's worded so far, it sounds kinda odd to say the least.

Added:

If the body was away from the plane, as they claim they're doing a search in the area of the crash, then chances are he would have been alive at some point and could have set off a beacon or signal.... if none was available, this trail doesn't seem that far away from civilization.

Even if he was crippled and near death, that doesn't explain how his money and ID's got strung into a bush off a trail.....

.... did he explode?

Turn into a Bush like in Zelda?

News reports say the cash and ID were found a quarter mile from the crash site. That's dragging distance. Critters would scatter stuff ... terrible table manners....

Last edited:

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
He didn't walk away from this crash.

"http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/510257
Searchers found the wreckage of Steve Fossett's plane in California's rugged Sierra Nevada just over a year after the millionaire adventurer vanished on a solo flight, and the craft appears to have hit the mountainside head-on, authorities said Thursday.

Most of the plane's fuselage disintegrated on impact, and the engine was found several hundred feet away at an elevation of 9,700 feet, authorities said.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
If we assume it was a modern Belanca, it could have had a cruising speed of over two hundred mph. Hitting a mountain at that speed would not have left any survivor. They won't find a body. It might even be optimistic to expect to find bones.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
He didn't walk away from this crash.

"http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/510257
Searchers found the wreckage of Steve Fossett's plane in California's rugged Sierra Nevada just over a year after the millionaire adventurer vanished on a solo flight, and the craft appears to have hit the mountainside head-on, authorities said Thursday.

Most of the plane's fuselage disintegrated on impact, and the engine was found several hundred feet away at an elevation of 9,700 feet, authorities said.

I see no evidence there proving he is dead. Anybody can flip an auto pilot on and hop out with a parachute. Or they could just fly it as close as possible and then jump, leaving the auto pilot off.

Sure on a head on crash into a mountain, anybody would die.... but one has to be in the plane in order for that to happen, and since I'm still waiting to hear on a body, I still question his death.

Not because I'm some conspiritist or something, but out of a ligit approach on the given evidence.... I don't know what kind of plans would have been made, what motives there would be.... I simply don't follow the story like many..... but information doesn't add up at this point in time.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
If we assume it was a modern Belanca, it could have had a cruising speed of over two hundred mph. Hitting a mountain at that speed would not have left any survivor. They won't find a body. It might even be optimistic to expect to find bones.

oh, there will be bones. There are always bones. It's amazing what osteologists can piece together from shards.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Praxius, he wasn't wearing a parachute.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/510917
"and why he flew in only a T-shirt and shorts, without a parachute or warm clothing to protect him against the cold desert night if anything went awry."

Flew in only a T-Shirt and Shorts doesn't mean he didn't have one in the plane already.... and if it sounded odd, perhaps it was odd... or went Awry as they say.

if you're planning any flight, one would think you'd prepare for the worst and if you crash in that sort of area, then you'd might want to have some warm clothing.....

the only logical explination why I could see him not doing this, was because he might be getting picked up shortly afterwards.

Just throwing it out there.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Flew in only a T-Shirt and Shorts doesn't mean he didn't have one in the plane already.... and if it sounded odd, perhaps it was odd... or went Awry as they say.

if you're planning any flight, one would think you'd prepare for the worst and if you crash in that sort of area, then you'd might want to have some warm clothing.....

the only logical explination why I could see him not doing this, was because he might be getting picked up shortly afterwards.

Just throwing it out there.

The plane he was flying in was quite small, I highly doubt he would have the phyiscal space needed to slip a parachute on.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I understand they've found some body parts, or at least a few bones and that they will be doing DNA testing to determine who's they are. If they confirm that it is Fossett, it should put an end to the speculation.