Britain Adopts Islamic Law

B00Mer
www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,422661,00.html (external - login to view)

Britain Adopts Islamic Law

Islamic law has been officially adopted in Britain, with sharia courts given powers to rule on Muslim civil cases.

The government has quietly sanctioned the powers for sharia judges to rule on cases ranging from divorce and financial disputes to those involving domestic violence.

Rulings issued by a network of five sharia courts are enforceable with the full power of the judicial system, through county courts or the country's High Court, a part of its Supreme Court system.

Previously, the rulings of sharia courts in Britain could not be enforced, and depended on voluntary compliance among Muslims.

Politicians and church leaders expressed concerns that this could mark the beginnings of a “parallel legal system” based on sharia for some British Muslims.

Dominic Grieve, the shadow home secretary, said: “If it is true that these tribunals are passing binding decisions in the areas of family and criminal law, I would like to know which courts are enforcing them because I would consider such action unlawful. British law is absolute and must remain so.”

B00Mer
Canada is next on this list....

wallyj
The islamification continues. There is a youtube video called "This is not islam" which details the progressive deterioration of rights and civility as the population of islamic adherents grow. This was also the central theme of Mark Steyn's book "America Alone". If you read the fox link on the above story you may pick up on the fact that women are losing their rights and men are getting off with a slap on the wrist for domestic violence. Is this the rewards for being tolerant? Of course,it is voluntary,just like praying 5 times a day every day is voluntary,and participating in arranged marriages is voluntary. It is time for democracies to wake up and snip this abberation called the 'religion of peace' in the bud,just like they do with womens genitalia,which is voluntary,of course.

wallyj
Correction ,the title of the youtube is "what islam is not". Try this link,

httpwwwyoutubecomwatchv8789NMWZ9EI

, it is about 8 minutes long but is worth the watch. I know some will automatically dismiss it,but maybe watch it first and then check out the figures and facts before you criticize....Psst,don't tell quandary about this.

Kreskin
Quote:

Rulings issued by a network of five sharia courts are enforceable with the full power of the judicial system, through county courts or the country's High Court, a part of its Supreme Court system.

Enforceable by who's authority? Did they change their constitution?

If it is true why doesn't Dominic Grieve, (the shadow home secretary - who and whatever that is), know about it except by rumor? Sounds like a fishy story.
Last edited by Kreskin; Sep 15th, 2008 at 11:45 PM..

lone wolf
Britain does well to accept the United States is no longer a colony. I doubt very much if it's going to allow Common Law to step aside.

gerryh
The morons are alive and well........ here's a little bit more on the subject from the London Times, the newspaper that "fox news" decided to take only a portion of the article from.

Quote:

Sheikh Faiz-ul-Aqtab Siddiqi, whose Muslim Arbitration Tribunal runs the courts, said he had taken advantage of a clause in the Arbitration Act 1996.
Under the act, the sharia courts are classified as arbitration tribunals. The rulings of arbitration tribunals are binding in law, provided that both parties in the dispute agree to give it the power to rule on their case.
Siddiqi said: “We realised that under the Arbitration Act we can make rulings which can be enforced by county and high courts. The act allows disputes to be resolved using alternatives like tribunals. This method is called alternative dispute resolution, which for Muslims is what the sharia courts are.”

Gee....sounds alot like what we allow here in Canada for Natives.......

wallyj
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

The morons are alive and well........ here's a little bit more on the subject from the London Times, the newspaper that "fox news" decided to take only a portion of the article from.

And that is working out real well.isn't it? The difference also is that natives are still held accountable by our justice system off the reserve. Last I checked the islamists don't have any reserves,though they do concentrate in the ghettoes and force out the infidels through numbers and violence.

gerryh
Just for fun....why don't you do a little research on what alternative dispute tribunals are and are not allowed to rule on.....when you actually know what you're talking about....then come back..... in the mean time.....read my sig and take it to heart.

Scott Free
This is to be expected in a democracy that fills up with religionists.

karrie
When addressing civil issues, they need to be addressed in a way that is culturally relevant to the people involved. If two people having a dispute decide to take it to a Sharia civil court, all the more power to them. It sure beats the alternatives of trying to fight it out in house doesn't it?

The bonus of course is that civil courts don't get to override the other laws, or most importantly, human rights.

gerryh
to give everyone an idea as to the range of ADT's availablein England, try this.

www.google.ca/search?hl=en&sa...&start=10&sa=N (external - login to view)

hermanntrude
seems like a short and understated article for what basically seems to be a revolution in the UK

I would expect more detail and more outrage if this was as big as it make out. I suspect this is a colossal journalistic exaggeration

Unforgiven
Big deal. If two people agree to allow someone make a ruling in their civil matters in accordance with some religious observation, they have the freedom to suffer the results too.

wallyj

Just for fun....why don't you do a little research on what alternative dispute tribunals are and are not allowed to rule on.....when you actually know what you're talking about....then come back..... in the mean time.....read my sig and take it to heart.

Sure,and then we will discuss your strawman argument further. In the meantime,if you haven't already,check out the video I posted....

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by wallyjView Post

Sure,and then we will discuss your strawman argument further. In the meantime,if you haven't already,check out the video I posted....

Your video is no longer available.......and I have not presented any "straw man argument". You, on the other hand have shown your obvious ignorance when it comes to ADT's. Something England has had for over 10 years.

Risus
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

Enforceable by who's authority? Did they change their constitution?

If it is true why doesn't Dominic Grieve, (the shadow home secretary - who and whatever that is), know about it except by rumor? Sounds like a fishy story.

Something doesn't smell right about the whole thing. As he said, the law is absolute.

gerryh
and ADT's do NOT circumvent the laws.

Andem

Except that the bilateral treaties were ratified as an alternative to a continuation of hostilities and a feeling of British guilt. The muslims in Europe are not only not welcome, but the politicians are giving into demands that the majority does not condone.

Correction ,the title of the youtube is "what islam is not". Try this link,

httpwwwyoutubecomwatchv8789NMWZ9EI

, it is about 8 minutes long but is worth the watch. I know some will automatically dismiss it,but maybe watch it first and then check out the figures and facts before you criticize....Psst,don't tell quandary about this.

A great video to illustrate real world examples, repeated time and again in countries across Europe. Canadians have not seen this yet, but according to the video, it'll be perhaps less than a decade away from now.

And that is working out real well.isn't it? The difference also is that natives are still held accountable by our justice system off the reserve. Last I checked the islamists don't have any reserves,though they do concentrate in the ghettoes and force out the infidels through numbers and violence.

Ditto.

Andem
Browsing from wallyj's original video, I came across

httpwwwyoutubecomwatchvPVSZFOiKEEE

<-- Some important notes about Sharia law described on this video.

gerryh
and what does any of that have to do with Muslims being allowed to set up an Alternative dispute Tribunal based on their religeous laws? A tribunal that is within the existing framwork of English law. No laws have been changed to allow this. BOTH patries must agree to use the tribunal and agree that the rulling of the tribunal is binding. BOTH parties still have the option of appealing the tribunals rullings if they contravene existing English laws.

So what's the problem?

DurkaDurka
So what is the point of a religious tribunal then if it has to conform to English law? I think one law for all is suiting.

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurkaView Post

So what is the point of a religious tribunal then if it has to conform to English law? I think one law for all is suiting.

that doesn't really apply to a lot of civil law though... there aren't the same sort of set laws in a lot of civil law that there are in criminal.

lone wolf
The tribunal makes sense to try for resolution BEFORE it goes to the Courts. Arbitration is a process we've had in Canada for years.

Multi culturalism isn't working. It sounded pretty - and if everyone left their stupid wars and superstitions at home when they chose to leave, it might have worked. Eventually it becomes segregation ... and we know how popular that is. There are some things we can learn from the Americans....

ottawabill
what a load of liberal crap!! like somehow we are better societies when we bend over to other cultures...

No wonder other countries wonder what Canadian culture is..we are constant on this front.

DurkaDurka
Religious tribunals were banned here in Ontario a few years ago, thankfully.

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurkaView Post

Religious tribunals were banned here in Ontario a few years ago, thankfully.

Because we do consider ourselves a multicultural country, I don't see a need here personally. Perhaps a Muslim would disagree with me, but, when it comes to civil issues, our courts already take culture into account.

ottawabill
I don't consider this a multicultural country..I consider this Canada with lots of cultures...

It was only banned in ontario after McGuinty tried to inact it and ran up against many roadblocks..he took the political route, switched sides and banned them.

gerryh
The "religeous" tribunals were only banned in Ontario after the Muslim population tried to set up one for themselves. They were fine untill then. The problem stemmed from the racist and biggoted a$$holes trying to stop Muslims only. They WERE fine with the others. The Government had no choice but to ban them ALL if they were going to ban any.

Zzarchov
I'd like to point out that using the Sharia courts is not some new thing.

If all parties volunteer we can use any dispute resolution method we want and have it enforceable in civil court through a contract.
I could let someone use the Jedi Code, Star Fleet Regulations or the Sacred Rules of the No-Homers (they are allowed one) to solve our disputes.

My only worry is the undue influence that Muslims (especially women) may feel to be compelled into accepting Sharia justice, even though it is less equitable and they may or may not believe in it.