Steve Fonyo in trouble again

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Regional / British Columbia

Thursday, September 11, 2008
B.C. man who raised millions for cancer research to serve 30 days in jail
THE CANADIAN PRESS
SURREY, B.C. - Steve Fonyo is going to jail.
The one-legged runner, who raised $13 million for cancer research during a cross-Canada marathon that ended in 1985, has been sentenced to 30 days to be served on weekends.

[FONT=arial,sans-serif]
[/FONT]

He was in a courtroom in Surrey, B.C., Wednesday to plead guilty to two counts of driving while prohibited.
The conviction is his seventh for the same offence.
Heading into court, Fonyo told reporters that he took the chance of driving, he was caught and now he is ready to "suffer the consequences."

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]Shop Dell Canada for great deals.[/FONT]
The Order of Canada recipient lost his leg to bone cancer and began his 14-month "Journey for Lives" after being inspired by Terry Fox's unfinished Marathon of Hope.

I've always wondered if Fonyo had trouble living up to the image of Terry Fox. Fox never completed his Marathon but got most of the attention.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I guess the world is starting to lose patience with Steve Fonyo. This may have been the 7th time he's been charged with this offense but he was let off without a charge at least a dozen times, as well as numerous charges of driving while intoxicated. I've never thought Fonyo was any genius and this indicates his problems are much more serious. I hope a bit of jail time will help but I doubt it.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
His sentence is too low. Who cares what he has done in the past, sentence him as with everyone else and none of this weekend BS. Maybe then he will learn...

jenn

Electoral Member
Jan 13, 2008
AGAIN....and the 7th time... he hasn't learned.. and 30 days isn't going to teach him anything.... he will get out in what... 15.....