'Check me out, I'm proper hench': New dictionary helps parents understand 'teen speak

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A new dictionary has been launched to help parents understand "teen speak".

The dictionary lists words commonly used by British kids today - such as "butters", "clock", "nang" and "on your jays".

The website gotateenager.org.uk hopes that it will bring parents and their children closer...

'Check me out, I'm proper hench': New dictionary helps parents understand 'teen speak'

By Daily Mail Reporter
10th September 2008
Daily Mail

Jargon buster: A new online dictionary is helping parents understand teenage slang

Parents who feel like they speak a different language to their teenage children can now find translations for the latest slang through a new online dictionary.

Charity Parentline Plus has launched a website dedicated to 'teenglish' to help parents stay 'tight' (close) with their children.

The jargon buster was created after months of consultation with teenagers and their parents who could not keep up with the latest slang.

The www.gotateenager.org.uk site aims to help parents learn terms such as 'blud' (friend), 'butters' (ugly), 'crunk' (crazy-drunk), and 'phat' (cool).

Nikola Mann, who helped create the site, said: 'It makes you realise how out of touch you can get when you read some of the words teenagers are using now.

'The jargon buster is light-hearted and fun, but it was actually something parents asked us for when we were designing the site.

'It actually grew out of conversations we were having with parents on our free 24-hour helpline who were struggling to understand their children and they wanted to know what words used by their teenagers actually meant.

'One of the main messages we're trying to get across is that the key to a good relationship between parents and teenagers is communication and the jargon buster is all about improving that.'

The site also hopes to rival social networking tools such as Facebook by giving the parents of teens the chance to chat online.

As well as the more light-hearted jargon buster, the website includes a host of features, from e-learning modules and courses in dealing with drug and alcohol use to an online comic book with storylines and scenarios familiar to many teens.

Topics covered include drugs, sex, bullying, boundaries, health, school, and self-confidence.

The new site also boasts blogs, message boards, stories, a texting service with tips and information, and a live web TV show. The first of four shows will go online on Monday.

Parentline Plus Newcastle area manager Maureen Pearson said: 'Parents of primary school children enjoy a network of support and friendship that is lost when their children make the transition to secondary school.

'Gotateenager.org.uk plugs that gap by creating an online community for parents of teenagers.'

Busting the jargon:
  • Bait - Obvious (eg. 'That's so bait' )
  • Blud - Friend or mate (eg. 'What you up to, blud?')
  • Butters - Ugly (eg. 'That girl is so butters')
  • Clock - Caught out (eg. 'Jason got clocked seeing that girl the other day')
  • Crunk - Crazy drunk (eg. 'Let's get crunk tonight')
  • Dissed - Disrespected (eg. 'He dissed my new trainers')
  • Feds - Police (eg. 'The feds are coming')
  • Flossing - Showing off or teasing with material possessions (eg. 'Look at him over there flossing')
  • Hench - To be strong (eg. 'Check me out, I'm proper hench')
  • Jacked - Stolen (eg. 'My phone got jacked today')
  • Jook - To stab or steal (eg. 'Shall we jook him for that phone')
  • Nang - Brilliant (eg. 'That music is nang')
  • Off the hook - Excellent, wicked (eg. 'That new track is off the hook')
  • On your jays - On your own (eg. 'You can go round Lisa's house on your jays')
  • Phat - Cool, great (eg. 'That new song is phat')
  • Rents - Parents (eg. 'He's going on holiday with his rents')
  • Wasted - Drunk (eg. 'I feel so wasted')
  • Whack - Crazy (eg. 'She is so whack')
dailymail.co.uk