Boy, 14, pleads not guilty to murdering gay classmate in California

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/08/08/classmate-slaying.html

A 14-year-old Southern California boy pleaded not guilty Thursday to the slaying of his gay classmate.

Brandon McInerney has been charged with first-degree murder and committing a hate crime. McInerney, who will be tried as an adult, entered his not-guilty plea in Ventura County Superior Court on Thursday.

McInerney is accused of fatally shooting 15-year-old Larry King at their junior high school in Oxnard, north of Los Angeles, on Feb. 12. King sometimes wore makeup and told friends he was gay.

Defence attorney William Quest said in court that the charges are "essentially a death sentence" for McInerney, and that he wants the boy tried on the lesser charge of manslaughter.

McInerney faces 51 years to life without the possibility of parole if convicted.

Good... let it be a death sentence.... his victim sure as hell got one. Throw the book at him.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
As some background, apparently Larry King was making persistent homosexual overtures to Brandon McInerney, including giving him a Valentine's Card. You can never condone violence, in any circumstances, barring self defense. There was an atrocious crime committed here. However, at age 14, in puberty.. when your identity, sexual and social, are so fragile and formative.. being hit upon.. especially when one is desperately trying to forge a masculine, heterosexual and confident gender image for oneself.. can spark intense rage. That is no secret, most if not all young men have experienced that at some point in their youth.. most handle it constructively and dismissively.

It's very unfair that, in all likelihood, Larry King's parents, his school teachers, all that he watches on television told Larry these types of explorations would be handled maturely and deferentially by the targets of his affections, regardless of their orientation. We are after all in era of 'tolerance'. But that is not the world of 14 year old boys. Larry could have been told that it was unacceptable to be making advances period, that most young men would take extreme offense to the assumption that they were homosexual. This obviously didn't happen.

In fact Larry might have been told to wait himself before he definitively defined himself as a homosexual. That gender and role confusion is common in adolescence, that nothing in sexuality is set in stone, or genetically predisposed. That it is all formed of willful development and that what seems like an overwhelming reality at the time might be nothing more than a phase of growing up in retrospect.

BUT that if he finally did make that decision, that he could find like minded individuals that would accept him as such as an adult.

None of this happened, not in his home, not in his school, not in the media, with these tragic results. In my view this was a crime of passion, directed at self image, redirected to Larry. First degree murder, or a hate crime.. to the extent these indicate a cold, planned assault, based on a festering long held prejudice.. that really doesn't seem to apply here. Society itself is getting a lot of its signals mixed up, and passing that on to young people. Brandon committed a crime, but should he be charged as an adult? Was it first degree murder, or a crime of passion, usually assigned a lesser status? The motivations for this offense were very much adolescent in character, and this was a crime of explosive rage.. not stealth, cunning and cold blood.

Last edited:
Reactions: AmberEyes

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Hmm... while I don't agree with you on the issue of genetics and predisposition in regards to homosexuality, there is a certain undeniable jaded logic to what you're discussing coldstream.

I'd be preaching a lot of caution in approaching boys if my son were ever to exhibit signs of homosexuality.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
well, if he were canadian, and was sentenced to ten years, as a youth, he would be out
at 24, if he served his whole sentence, probably not, but he should.

He then, would be a hardened criminal, and would have had many sex acts forced upon him, so, being set free at that time, would put a rather mixed up and scary person back
on the street, but his actions tell us ,that perhaps that's what he would have been anyway, and I think that ten years in jail, would be worse than a death sentence, and the
rest of his life a nightmare also.

So, it's a toss up for me, I don't really care what they do with him, he's buggered, and has
only himself to blame, and the memory of killing someone.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Hmm... while I don't agree with you on the issue of genetics and predisposition in regards to homosexuality, there is a certain undeniable jaded logic to what you're discussing coldstream.

I'd be preaching a lot of caution in approaching boys if my son were ever to exhibit signs of homosexuality.

Well that's sensible karrie, and i'd rather be the purveyor of jaded rather than twisted logic, i suppose. But, fyi, even the 'gay' lobby has given up on the 'gay' gene. This is by Peter Tatchell, one of the foremost homosexual activists in the U.K, who started OutRage, a publication that exposes prominent homosexuals, whether they wanted to be 'outed' or not. :smile:

Peter Tatchell on the 'Gay' Gene

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Well that's sensible karrie, and i'd rather be the purveyor of jaded rather than twisted logic, i suppose. But, fyi, even the 'gay' lobby has given up on the 'gay' gene. This is by Peter Tatchell, one of the foremost homosexual activists in the U.K, who started OutRage, a publication that exposed prominent homosexuals, whether they wanted to be 'outed' or not. :smile:

Peter Tatchell on the 'Gay' Gene

It was really your statement that it's all a matter of willful development that lost me. But, I could really care less to debate it, as you and I have been down this road before.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
It was really your statement that it's all a matter of willful development that lost me. But, I could really care less to debate it, as you and I have been down this road before.

Willful - from dictionary.com (my input in brackets)

volitional. 2. intransigent; contrary, refractory, pigheaded, inflexible, obdurate, adamant. Willful, headstrong, perverse, wayward refer to one who stubbornly insists upon doing as he or she pleases. Willful suggests a stubborn persistence in doing what one wishes, esp. in opposition to those whose wishes or commands ought to be respected or obeyed (like their Creator, or of true natural instinct, or out of any real sense of joy): that willful child who disregarded his parents' advice. One who is headstrong is often foolishly, and sometimes violently, self-willed: reckless and headstrong youths. The perverse person is unreasonably or obstinately intractable or contrary, often with the express intention of being disagreeable: perverse out of sheer spite. Wayward in this sense has the connotation of rash wrongheadedness that gets one into trouble: a reform school for wayward girls (or boys)

But i was more interested in the concept of Free Will (undoubtedly and only a religious notion) which allows for the sovereignty of the conscience and personal volition over base desires of any sort.. to form yourself in a truly graceful image. It is the opposite of a purely deterministic view of the human condition.. and i think more hopeful.

But i think a debate seems rather futile, karrie, it seems neither of us is going to convince each other... and i'm quite happy to have the last word... :)

Last edited:

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
well, if he were canadian, and was sentenced to ten years, as a youth, he would be out
at 24, if he served his whole sentence, probably not, but he should.

He then, would be a hardened criminal, and would have had many sex acts forced upon him, so, being set free at that time, would put a rather mixed up and scary person back
on the street, but his actions tell us ,that perhaps that's what he would have been anyway, and I think that ten years in jail, would be worse than a death sentence, and the
rest of his life a nightmare also.

So, it's a toss up for me, I don't really care what they do with him, he's buggered, and has
only himself to blame, and the memory of killing someone.

I would.. give him (much) less than than10 yrs.. AND.. i would NOT subject him to homosexual rape in prison..

Last edited:

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
http://articles.latimes.com/2008/may/08/local/me-oxnard8
Thursday, May 08, 2008

School blamed in killing of gay student

Attorney for youth facing arraignment on murder charges says officials failed to defuse tensions.
By Catherine Saillant
May 08, 2008 in print edition B-1
As 14-year-old Brandon McInerney prepares to be arraigned today inthe slaying of 15-year-old Lawrence “Larry” King at E.O. Green Junior High School in Oxnard, his lawyer is advancing a defense that at least partly blames school officials for the tragedy.
Educators should have moved aggressively to quell rising tensions between the two boys, which began when King openly flirted with McInerney, said William Quest, the Ventura County assistant public defender representing the eighth-grader.
Instead, administrators were so intent on nurturing King as he explored his sexuality, allowing him to come to school wearing feminine makeup and accessories, that they downplayed the turmoil that his behavior was causing on campus, Quest said in an interview this week.
Verbal confrontations between King and several adolescent boys over King’s self-proclaimed homosexuality had been rising to the point that teachers were “repulsed” by school leaders’ failure to take action, Quest said.
McInerney, he said, felt humiliated and harassed by King’s attentions, and a troubled home life left him emotionally unequipped to handle the situation.
On Feb. 12, McInerney shot King in the back of the head with a handgun as first-period classes were beginning, according to police investigators and students who saw the shooting. McInerney’s inability to see another way to solve his problem is partly the fault of the school system, his attorney said.
“Brandon is not some crazed lunatic,” Quest said. “This was a confluence of tragic events that could have been stopped. If there is partial blame in other places, let’s not throw away Brandon for the rest of his life.”
School officials dispute Quest’s assertions.
McInerney has been held in Juvenile Hall on $700,000 bail since the shooting. Ventura County prosecutors have announced their intent to try him as an adult. The teenager is scheduled to enter a plea at today’s proceedings, but Quest said the arraignment may be postponed until the court decides on his motion to try him as a juvenile.
Under state law, juvenile offenders can be incarcerated until the age of 25 and then must be released. If he is convicted as an adult, McInerney would face 50 years to life, with an additional three years for a special hate-crime allegation.
“We think there will be evidence that the school, with the actions of Larry, didn’t quite know how to deal with it,” Quest said. “There were complaints that Larry’s behavior was causing problems, especially with the boys.”

School Supt. Jerry Dannenberg strongly disagreed with such allegations. “School officials definitely were aware of what was going on, and they were dealing with it appropriately,” Dannenberg said Wednesday. He declined to say what kind of help was offered, and whether it was provided to both students or only to King. As for King’s attire, Dannenberg said administrators are legally restricted from telling public school students what they can wear to school. The only exception is for clothing that creates a “substantial disruption” on campus, such as gang colors and other attire that provokes fights, he said.
King was constitutionally entitled to wear makeup, earrings and high-heeled boots under long-established case law, Dannenberg said.
“The education process was not being hindered,” he said. “Teachers were able to teach. There were not large-scale fights that anyone was aware of. So therefore he was within his rights.”
Dannenberg said the school district would not take a position on whether McInerney should be tried as an adult, calling that a matter for the courts. But Quest said that several teachers and at least 150 students at E.O. Green have signed a petition asking Dist. Atty. Gregory Totten to agree to move the case to the juvenile system.
A coalition of gay- and gender-rights organizations, including many based in California, has also issued a call for McInerney to be tried as a juvenile. McInerney should be held accountable, the coalition said, but in a system that treats juvenile offenders differently from adults – and with the goal of rehabilitation.
“We’ve always held the position that youths should not be tried in adult court,” said Carolyn Laub, executive director of the Gay-Straight Alliance Network, one of 27 groups in the coalition.
“Trying Brandon McInerney as an adult does not serve us in terms of bringing justice to the issue. We need our schools to do a better job preventing violence and create safer school climates.”
Proposition 21, passed overwhelmingly by voters in 2000, gave prosecutors the option of an adult trial for juveniles 14 or older who are charged with murder. Quest says it is unfair and immoral to apply the standard to McInerney, who turned 14 less than three weeks before the shooting.
“You don’t just shut the door, lose the keys and incarcerate him for the rest of his life,” he said. “He has no juvenile record and was a very respectful, decent young man who did something very tragic.”
Tottensaid he was open to further discussion on trying McInerney as an adult.
Prosecutors are looking at all of the evidence and are considering pleas from the community, as well as from McInerney’s family and friends, he said.
Either decision will be unpopular with some people, he noted, but if McInerney is convicted in Juvenile Court, he could be released as early as when he turns 21. “We have to consider the gravity of the crime, and this is someone who essentially executed another student on campus,” he said.
King’s death has drawn widespread attention from gay rights groups and others who see it as evidence that bullying and harassment of homosexual youths on school campuses remains a problem.
A host of laws aims to quell taunts based on sexual and gender orientation, but enforcing them is another matter, said Laub, whose organization represents 660 school-based groups. In April, students at hundreds of schools across the nation took part in a “Day of Silence” to memorialize King’s death and their struggle against discrimination, Laub said.
“Larry’s death has galvanized students and teachers who want to see what they can do so that what happened to him can never happen again,” she said.

I remember this case
It was early in the year and it seemed to me the boy who was being courted or flirted with by King, was inexperienced in how to handle or rebuff the advances and apparently had no resources to turn to without embarrassment or fear.

Perhaps the issue of being suspected as 'gay' himself were confusing him and prevented him from seeking help from the school or his family.

He had access to a weapon which makes me believe his homelife was not necessarily secure - and I doubt at fourteen he had anything sophisticated in his repertoire as to how to handle this situation. Maybe he was afraid he was presenting as a homosexual himself.

I believe because of his lack of sophistication (yes even though he killed), he isn't a predatory killer but a young man in serious mental trouble. Incarceration will certainly add another layer to his disturbance - and the jeering by the gay community branding him as a killer will seal the deal.

The boy's life as it was - is over. He is a man now for whatever good can come of it. I hope some intervention will be practiced but in the crowded situations in California detention centers - there is little help - especially for one so young. There are cases cruelly named "Homosexual hysteria" wherein either those who suddenly realize they are homosexual, or those who are approached by another in a homosexual fashion, become tragically enraged and lose
what little identity a fourteen year old (or younger) may have already built up to assist in self knowledge.

Last edited:

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
He shot a kid in the back of the head as classes were starting. That's not a crime of passion. If he had beaten the kid up, I'd say it's horrible but understandable. What he did was not. His lawyer calls him respectful and decent. My parents taught me that your actions define you. If that's true, I'm scared for what this kid is.

I hate the idea of throwing a child in jail for an adult's sentence. At the same time, I'm the one who will be living with this kid in my backyard and anyone who could murder another child like that may never be safe in society. What happens the next time someone embarasses him?

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California

Isn't that a sad commentary on our society. I know you would, but I hope other parents would also teach their boys that murdering a gay classmate who hit on them was completely unreasonable too.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Isn't that a sad commentary on our society. I know you would, but I hope other parents would also teach their boys that murdering a gay classmate who hit on them was completely unreasonable too.

This would be a normal part taught within the upbringing of your child? I wonder how many people will sit their kids down today and advise them of this......IMPHO

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
At one point the 'homosexual panic' defense was widely accepted in the U.S., and well beyond, as an mitigating factor in the charge and the sentence for violent crimes. But the homosexual lobby and the entire culture of 'tolerance' has turned that upside down. It's now held as an aggravating factor, a 'hate' crime.

In this case, it is not in the behavioural repertoire of a 14 year old boy, to objectively distance himself from something that was taken as a profound insult to the core of his identity.. his manhood.. at a time when every instinct and impulse of his being was desperately attempting to establish it.. all intensified by a turbulent home life.

Larry seemed to be a very foolish, confused and provocative young man, even for a 15 year old. Why didn't his teachers or parents tell him that going to a school full of pubescent boys.. wearing lipstick and making sexual advances to his classmates was like striking a match in powder keg.

I'm not vindicating Brandon. He committed a homicide, and should be charged as such. But saying this involved no distilled rage, well beyond the ability of a troubled 14 year old to vent harmlessly, ignores the facts. Brandon was suspended in a state of apoplexy by the concerted efforts of Larry to seduce him.

He was outraged, justifiably, and it was rankling him for days.. since he got that Valentine's card from Larry. He had no one to turn to. His home life was in turmoil. The teachers at this school would have shunned him as a 'homophobe' if he asked for intervention. They were far too interested in helping Larry 'explore and celebrate' his sexuality... and expected all his classmates to do the same.

Most young men have been there at some stage of their lives, it's something parents and teachers should prepare them to manage, the humiliation and anger that unwanted homosexual overtures can foment. But that didn't happen, either. There was a widespread failure of supervision by adults in this situation from the start. A denial of its gravity and potential consequences.

That's why we have different criterion of penalty for youth crimes. It realizes that much of the judgement and moderating aspects of personality are not fully developed at that age and that a lesser definition of criminality, standard for punishment and a higher prospect for correctional treatment applies.

Unfortunately, our modern paradigm has failed to accept another sad fact.. that homosexuality is a deep seated psychological and spiritual pathology.. that incites morbid dislocation from reality. It is a misery inducing, fantasy ridden and life long affliction. Symptomatic to the condition is a lack of recognition of personal borders, and respect for those of others.

Nothing we do as a society... no affirmations we proclaim, educational programs we institute, hate laws we pass, media conventions we apply will change that. Our basis of 'tolerance' is ill founded, and this fundamental misapprehension of the true character of homosexuality, explodes to the surface on occasion, in tragic, shocking events like this.

Brandon should be charged as a youth, with some form of aggravated manslaughter. A fair sentence would see him released, hopefully rehabilitated and as a contributing, law abiding member of society.. as young man in his early 20's.

Last edited:

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Coldstream

Excellent critique. I would argue the point that all homosexuality presents pathology. There are many very well-adjusted people who prefer same sex partners - we are after all degrees of traits, especially in matters of sexuality.

I find the long distance murder (distance shooting) quite telling in that the object of the affection (Brandon) could not bring himself within close range of this person (Larry) who tore his world apart, adding a dimension to its possibility (homosexual overature) which he may have never considered other than in older people, certainly not something he may have to face and reject.

Some fourteen-year-old boys are very regressed in their thought, especially when there is little in the way of homelife explanation or preparation.

Brandon's world may just become even more fearful locked up in a prison with inmates whose behavior know no boundaries or limits.

I believe the homosexual community need to make an effort to back off on their claims of being ill-used by the people when members of that society have no desire to learn
of their sexuality, especially a boy so young whose life is now in ruins.

No matter his sentence or what occurs in the way of remediation, he has still taken a life.
That remains with him always. I wouldn't be surprised if he is suicidal now or having thoughts of it.

Last edited:

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
At one point the 'homosexual panic' defense was widely accepted in the U.S., and well beyond, as an mitigating factor in the charge and the sentence for violent crimes. But the homosexual lobby and the entire paradigm of 'tolerance' has turned that upside down. It's now being held as a aggravating factor, a 'hate' crime.

In this case, it is not in the behavioural repertoire of a 14 year old boy, to objectively distance himself from something that was taken as a profound insult to the core of his identity.. his manhood.. at a time when every instinct and impulse in his being was desperately attempting to establish it.. all intensified by a troubled home life.

Larry seemed to be a very foolish, confused and poorly disciplined young man even for a 15 year old. Why didn't his teachers or parents tell him that going to a school full of pubescent boys.. wearing lipstick and making sexual advances to his classmates was like sparking a match in powder keg.

I'm not vindicating Brandon. He committed a homicide, and should be charged as such. But saying this involved no distilled rage, well beyond the ability of a troubled 14 year old to vent harmlessly, ignores the facts. Brian was in a suspended state apoplexy by the concerted efforts of Larry to seduce him.

He was outraged, justifiably, and it was rankling in him for days.. since he got that Valentine's card from Larry. He had no one to turn to. His home life was in turmoil. The teachers at this school would have shunned him as a 'homophobe' if he asked for intervention. They were far too interested in helping helping Larry 'explore and celebrate' his sexuality... and expected all his classmates to do the same.

Most young men have been there at some point, it's something parents and teachers should prepare them to manage, the rage that unwanted homosexual overtures can provoke. But that didn't happen, either. There was a widespread failure of supervision by adults of this situation from the start. A denial of its gravity and potential consequences.

That's why we have different criterion of penalty for youth crimes. It realizes that much of the judgement and moderating aspects of personality are not fully developed at that age and that a lesser definition of criminality, standard for punishment and a higher probability of reformation applies.

Unfortunately, our modern paradigm has failed to accept another sad reality.. that homosexuality is a deep psychological pathology.. that incites morbid dislocation from reality. It is a misery inducing, fantasy ridden and life long affliction. That the basis for our 'tolerance' is ill founded, and this fundamental misapprehension of the true nature of homosexuality, explodes to surface on occasion, in shocking events like this.

Larry should be charged as youth, with some form of aggravated manslaughter. A fair sentence would see him released, hopefully treated and as a contributing, law abiding member of society.. as young man in his early 20's.

Very well put. Yet those responsible for recognizing the warning signs of such an encounter failed. Which in today's world is no surprise.
Innocent until proven guilty.
We shall see what happens considering the mitigating circumstances and the "no out" problem.
It is an example, a microcosm if you wish of the world as a whole. No-one, not anywhere cares now and IMO do not see that changing....ever.
....world gone mad....young man's life ruined...another dead...will it stop...can it be corrected.....sorry no dice...
One way or the other he loses and it is not his fault for he is a child, not savvy in the intricacies of this shadowy planet....
Sad.....but that's life today.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
scratch

Is there a hesitancy to place blame on the homosexual community for provoking and frightening this young boy?

I know they are quick to defend their place in our society, but when young kids are
involved, there has to be some common sense applied regardless.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
That's cool, Scratch and Coldstream. :)
I still have a problem with the "innocent until proven guilty" thing, like the Charter of Rights & Freedoms says.
I still yet have to see it put into practise. Fromthe initial point of being stuck in jail after being suspected of a crime, people are treated as if they were guilty until proven innocent of the offense, and even after they have been proven innocent. For instance, after arrest, they are printed and photographed. After they have been shown to be innocent are their prints and pics destroyed? nooooooo So there will always be a smidgeon of guilt attached to them. They are, as the term says, "known to police" (an idiotic term, IMO, because I have 2 close friends and a couple others not so close, who are RCMP, so I am "known" to them lol ).
Anyway, I hope the people in charge of this young fella can straighten his head out a bit. If they can't do that in 5 or 10 years then I doubt they ever will.