Iranians suspend death by stoning

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

Iran has some of the highest execution rates in the world

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7543791.stm

Iran's has suspended the punishment of death by stoning, state media say.

A judiciary spokesman said four people sentenced to die by stoning had had their sentences commuted and that all other cases had been put under review.

Lawyers and human rights campaigners have said at least eight women and a man are awaiting the punishment.

Stoning is the penalty for crimes such as adultery under Iranian law, but it is rarely carried out. The last such execution was reportedly last year.

Amnesty International called on Iran in January to abolish what it called a "horrific practice, designed to increase the suffering" of those condemned.

The country's penal code stipulates that before carrying out the punishment, men should be buried up to their waists and women up to their chests. The stones used must be large enough to cause the condemned pain, but not sufficient to kill immediately.

Amnesty also said a disproportionate number of those sentenced to death by stoning were women because they were not treated equally before the law and were particularly vulnerable to unfair trials.

'Under review'
Three people are said to have been stoned for adultery since a moratorium was called in 2002 by the judiciary chief, Ayatollah Mahmoud Hashemi-Shahroudi.

The BBC's Jon Leyne in Tehran says this is because the authorities have been reluctant to completely abolish a penalty they say is endorsed by Islamic law.

Although stoning is not prescribed in the Koran, some Muslim scholars say it is in the traditions of the Prophet Muhammad.

Nevertheless, an Iranian judiciary spokesman said the Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, had commuted the sentences of two people to 10 years in jail. Two others would receive lashes, he said.

"The issued verdicts for all of these cases will not be carried out for now," Alireza Jamshidi said, according to Iranian state media.

"In a few other cases, these people have asked for forgiveness and their request... is under review," he added.
Human rights campaigners recently warned that eight women aged between 27 and 43 were sentenced to death by stoning for convictions including prostitution, incest and adultery. A 50-year-old male music teacher was condemned to a similar fate for having sex with one of his students.

See, they're not so bad.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Wonder what they did to the student who had sex with her teacher, as it seems most
times they blame the woman, when they are raped. What an assanine country, they
are so backward in their laws, which are held up from some prehistoric religious leader
from long ago. It would be nice to see them progress a little, along with their neighbours.

And, Canada is the opposite, as the criminals seem to get more consideration than the victim.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Wonder what they did to the student who had sex with her teacher, as it seems most
are so backward in their laws, which are held up from some prehistoric religious leader
from long ago. It would be nice to see them progress a little, along with their neighbours.

And, Canada is the opposite, as the criminals seem to get more consideration than the victim.

That was quite the turn around comment. You complained about their backwards way of life (Which is kinda obvious, since they're an Islamic Nation, while ours has been founded mostly by Chrisitans) and how they are harsh with their criminal penalties.... then complain about how little we do towards our criminals.

:dontknow:

In all honesty, any nation that doesn't line up with our way of life is of course... backwards. I'm sure they all think the same way about our own.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Just to bring you all down to Western reality...

The United States has the highest documented incarceration rate, and total documented prison population in the world. As of year-end 2006, a record 7.2 million people were behind bars, on probation or on parole. Of the total, 2.2 million were incarcerated. More than 1 in 100 American adults were incarcerated at the start of 2008. The People's Republic of China ranks second with 1.5 million, despite having over four times the population of the US.

;-)

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
That was quite the turn around comment. You complained about their backwards way of life (Which is kinda obvious, since they're an Islamic Nation, while ours has been founded mostly by Chrisitans) and how they are harsh with their criminal penalties.... then complain about how little we do towards our criminals.

:dontknow:

In all honesty, any nation that doesn't line up with our way of life is of course... backwards. I'm sure they all think the same way about our own.
The above is your comment, not mine, too generalized, I don't talk about they all, or we all.

That's right, one extreme to the other, don't agree with either one.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
They're only waiting for the next shipment of stones to arrive.
Missile that is funny,:lol:
The Iranian people should rise and stone to death their fundamentalist extreme clerics. Only then Iran will be a safe place. These political religious losers are not religious at all; they are the scum of an outhouse. They will execute women for smiling at men they don’t know.

Last edited:

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto

Yes, they sure have things ass-backwards over there, don't they...

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The country's penal code stipulates that before carrying out the punishment, men should be buried up to their waists and women up to their chests. The stones used must be large enough to cause the condemned pain, but not sufficient to kill immediately.

What fool wrote that little literary gem. Perhaps they could give each stone thrower a little tape measure to make sure he was throwing the right size stones. I watched a video of a woman being stoned and there was no visible discipline. The stone throwers started throwing from fifteen or twenty feet but soon they were almost on top of her, yelling and screaming and driving rocks into her. A least a few of the executioners were injured by thrown rocks. An insane practice no matter how you look at it.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Just to bring you all down to Western reality...

The United States has the highest documented incarceration rate, and total documented prison population in the world. As of year-end 2006, a record 7.2 million people were behind bars, on probation or on parole. Of the total, 2.2 million were incarcerated. More than 1 in 100 American adults were incarcerated at the start of 2008. The People's Republic of China ranks second with 1.5 million, despite having over four times the population of the US.

;-)

Hey Now! :angryfire:

We're perfect! And our **** don't stink :lol:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
What fool wrote that little literary gem. Perhaps they could give each stone thrower a little tape measure to make sure he was throwing the right size stones. I watched a video of a woman being stoned and there was no visible discipline. The stone throwers started throwing from fifteen or twenty feet but soon they were almost on top of her, yelling and screaming and driving rocks into her. A least a few of the executioners were injured by thrown rocks. An insane practice no matter how you look at it.

yes, and insane is very correct. people who would do things like that in this country would
be given a test to see if they know 'right from wrong', as they are probably crazy in the
head, and that is what they are, they don't have the sense to get rid of laws that were
so over the top, that in todays thinking, completely 'insane'.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
yes, and insane is very correct. people who would do things like that in this country would
be given a test to see if they know 'right from wrong', as they are probably crazy in the
head, and that is what they are, they don't have the sense to get rid of laws that were
so over the top, that in todays thinking, completely 'insane'.

A kinder word would be --- barbaric.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
I've read that stoning has become rare in the last couple of years due to public outcry and revolts. It's up to the people to get rid of this "barbaric" practice. If they would stop behaving like sheep they could change their legal system.

BUT... it is always easy to point the finger at other societies and call them backwards. I would like to know what you call the American torture practices, bringing people to near death and often enough these poor souls die during the procedures. Is there a fitting name for it?

BUT.... since it is the Americans, trying to "save American lives", it is justified and we accept it as a necessity in the "war on terror". (Reminder: The Canadian sheep obediently crossed the US and Israel off the list of torturing countries!) Ba Ba....

Reactions: Praxius

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Yeah, "barbaric" might be a nicer term. A more scientific and descriptive term would be "subhuman". Kind of along the lines of "troglodyte".

Ah, the good ol' "Better then other humans" mentality.... which lives in a society that has revolving doors for sex offenders and pedophiles.... yeah, you got your priorities set straight.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I've read that stoning has become rare in the last couple of years due to public outcry and revolts. It's up to the people to get rid of this "barbaric" practice. If they would stop behaving like sheep they could change their legal system.
Last year a teenaged girl was stoned to death when it was discovered that her boyfriend was a different brand of Muslim. Rare isn't good enough. Extinct would be preferable.

BUT... it is always easy to point the finger at other societies and call them backwards. I would like to know what you call the American torture practices, bringing people to near death and often enough these poor souls die during the procedures. Is there a fitting name for it?

BUT.... since it is the Americans, trying to "save American lives", it is justified and we accept it as a necessity in the "war on terror". (Reminder: The Canadian sheep obediently crossed the US and Israel off the list of torturing countries!) Ba Ba....
The US administration is also "barbaric" in my view. Not that being administration is an excuse for being barbaric, but administrations seem to be a bit different from mobs.
Most of the people I know don't accept this "war on terror". Last I heard, most Americans don't accept it either.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Ah, the good ol' "Better then other humans" mentality.... which lives in a society that has revolving doors for sex offenders and pedophiles.... yeah, you got your priorities set straight.
Actually, I do. I ike to live and let live. As far as I am concerned people can do whatever they want as long as it doesn't negatively affect others. If my neighbor wants to practise antisocial habits, I won't stop him unless it interferes with mine. But I can still voice my opinion about it.
So, you think people SHOULD be able to stone other people? I don't. I consider that a worthwhile priority. But then, as a non-military, non-mob sort of person, any killing of people goes against my grain.