Burma comic charged over aid runs

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7547484.stm

One of Burma's most popular comedians has been charged with several offences, after he defied the military by giving aid to the victims of Cyclone Nargis.

Zarganar faces charges including creating public unrest and unlawful association for his activities during the disaster, his relatives said.

He appeared at a special court in Rangoon's notorious Insein Jail.

The move came one day before Burmese dissidents plan to mark 20 years since nationwide pro-democracy protests.

Six weeks of rallies - which became know as the 8/8/88 protests - were eventually brutally suppressed by the military.

At least 3,000 civilians were killed as the military tightened its grip on power.

'Lost hope'

Many Burmese who have fled the nation plan to hold protests to commemorate those who died.
But there is unlikely to be much dissent in Burma itself.

"I've totally lost hope that change will come through mass protests," Min Aung, a dissident in Rangoon, told the Associated Press.

"It's difficult to organise protests now because most of the leaders are in jail or in hiding."

Meanwhile, US President George W Bush and his wife, Laura, both delivered speeches criticising the Burmese junta.

Speaking in Thailand, the president called for an "end to tyranny", while Mrs Bush appealed for reform to allow thousands of dissidents to return home.

Critical interviews

Zarganar appeared at the special court along with three others.

He fell foul of the regime when he began delivering aid to victims of Cyclone Nargis in June.

The generals had insisted that all aid be delivered by the military - but there were widespread reports that badly needed supplies were being siphoned off by soldiers.

Zarganar also gave media interviews criticising the response to the catastrophe.
The Irrawaddy, a magazine run by Burmese dissidents, reported that the authorities raided his home on 4 June and seized a computer and about $1,000 (£514) collected for victims of the cyclone.

And people complain about China's human rights.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Let me ask this.

Should the international community comdem the actions in Burma and offer aid to those trying to make changes?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Let me ask this.

Should the international community comdem the actions in Burma and offer aid to those trying to make changes?

Condemming them apparently didn't do anything, as they already did that.

As they explained in the report, the last democratic rally they had in Burma, a crap load of people were killed and imprisoned by the military.... just by the description of their enforcement of authority, although they are smaller in size compared to China, they seem a lot more brutal..... and at least China has allowed other nations to come in and help during the earthquake incident with a lot less restrictions then Burma.

Trying to offer aid to others in the country trying to make changes doesn't seem very possible due to the iron grip the military has on the country. The only way to give anybody a chance in that country would be to invade with a forign force to topple the military.... but even I don't agree with that approach.

I'm not saying China is angelic, but with the Military arresting and charging this guy for simply trying to help his fellow people seems very excessive to me.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Just answer the question, it's a simple yes or no.

Should the international community speak out against the human rights violations in Burma?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Just answer the question, it's a simple yes or no.

Should the international community speak out against the human rights violations in Burma?

I can not answer with a simple yes or no, because the question is irrelevent.... the international community already did speak out countless times.... so there is no "Should" as it was already done.

What do you expect will happen by repeating themselves yet again?

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
I can not answer with a simple yes or no, because the question is irrelevent.... the international community already did speak out countless times.... so there is no "Should" as it was already done.

What do you expect will happen by repeating themselves yet again?

Sematics and nothing more. If you don't have the balls to answer just say so it's getting quite pathetic.