Bin Laden's driver convicted by Guantanamo military tribunal

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

In this file sketch by courtroom artist Janet Hamlin, defendant Salim Hamdan watches as FBI agent Craig Donnachie testifies about his interrogations of Hamdan at Hamdan's trial inside the war crimes courthouse at Camp Justice, the legal complex of the U.S. Military Commissions, at the Guantanamo Bay U.S. Naval Base, in Cuba, Thursday. Osama bin Laden's former driver is the first prisoner to face a U.S. war-crimes trial since the Second World War.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/08/06/guantanamo-verdict.html

Osama bin Laden's former driver, Salim Hamdan, was found guilty on a terrorism charge Wednesday in the first verdict to come through the controversial U.S. military tribunal process at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Hamdan, a Yemeni citizen who was captured in Afghanistan in 2001, was convicted of providing material support for terrorism, but acquitted of conspiring with al-Qaeda.

Hamdan, the first Guantanamo Bay prisoner to go on trial, could face life in prison.

Of the base's approximately 265 other prisoners, including Canadian citizen Omar Khadr, the Pentagon says it intends to prosecute about 80.

He was taken to Guantanamo in May 2002.
Identified al-Qaeda safehouses, U.S. authorities say

U.S. authorities have said that Hamdan identified key Islamist leaders, mapped out bin Laden's escape routes and led them to al-Qaeda safehouses after he was captured at a roadblock in southern Afghanistan in November 2001.

Hamdan's defence lawyers argued that he was a low-level employee who did not materially contribute to unlawful militant acts.

The system of military tribunals, introduced under the administration of U.S. President George W. Bush, has come under fire for years from critics who say it is unconstitutional.

In 2006, the U.S. Supreme Court declared the military tribunals illegal and in violation of American and international law.

As a result of that ruling, the Bush administration made changes to the military tribunals, which now have congressional approval.

In June, the top court ruled that foreign suspects held at the high security military jail at Guantanamo Bay have rights under the American Constitution to challenge their detention in U.S. civilian courts.

So they have 265 other prisoners, but only plan on throwing 80 to court..... so are the remaining 176 just going to stay there forever?

Or just until the War on Terrorism is finished.... AKA: Forever.

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia

In this file sketch by courtroom artist Janet Hamlin, defendant Salim Hamdan watches as FBI agent Craig Donnachie testifies about his interrogations of Hamdan at Hamdan's trial inside the war crimes courthouse at Camp Justice, the legal complex of the U.S. Military Commissions, at the Guantanamo Bay U.S. Naval Base, in Cuba, Thursday. Osama bin Laden's former driver is the first prisoner to face a U.S. war-crimes trial since the Second World War.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/08/06/guantanamo-verdict.html

So they have 265 other prisoners, but only plan on throwing 80 to court..... so are the remaining 176 just going to stay there forever?

Or just until the War on Terrorism is finished.... AKA: Forever.

they could be mass suicided....

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
Maybe they're gonna be part of a wacky new reality show "I went insane after being imprisoned indefinitely without even having charges brought against me" or some such thing

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Maybe they're gonna be part of a wacky new reality show "I went insane after being imprisoned indefinitely without even having charges brought against me" or some such thing

They could be trying to make the Running Man game show a reality:

"What are you Dooing! I'm The Govinator!! I already did this crap!"

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
This was a secret trial with secret evidence, so we know few facts.

As far as I can tell this taxi driver never committed any act of violence and will serve a total of 11 years in prison because one of his regular fares was OBL.

What's going on in Gitmo can't be described as a fair and objective due process. Americans should be ashamed.