Vancouver hammer attacks

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Vancouver hammer attacks

VANCOUVER - A 31-year-old man with a history of mental illness has been charged with aggravated assault after nine people on Davie Street were struck in the head with a hammer Sunday night, the same day as the city's gay pride parade.

Khalid Alzghoul was charged Monday with 17 offences, including nine counts of assault with a weapon. He was remanded in custody and will likely make another appearance in court today.

Vancouver police spokeswoman Const. Jana McGuinness said the incident began around 10:20 p.m. when a man left the Tutti convenience store on Davie without paying for his items.

After leaving the store, the man headed to the Majestic Restaurant and Lounge on Davie, where he struck a man in the head with a ball-peen hammer, knocking him unconscious.

He then hit a doorman and three patrons with the hammer, before hitting one more person as he left the restaurant.

Police allege the man then went to Characters Restaurant, just down the street, where he hit two other women in the head.

A man who was with the two women chased the suspect and tackled him to the ground.

He was then also struck in the head with the hammer, said McGuinness.

Davie is in the heart of Vancouver's gay community.

McGuinness said police are investigating whether the attack was a hate crime.

"We're not sure what the motivation was," she said. "It's so random and so violent and so bizarre."

She said witnesses reported the attacker was ranting following his attacks, but didn't know if he said anything anti-gay.

"He was ranting about a lot of things and what exactly he was saying I have yet to confirm with investigators," she said.

Police arrested Alzghoul at the scene and seized an imitation firearm, two knives and a hammer.

In addition to nine counts of assault with a weapon, Alzghoul has been charged with three counts of assault causing bodily harm, one count of uttering threats, one count of using an imitation firearm and one count of theft under $5,000.

Of the nine victims, six were treated in hospital for injuries sustained in the attacks. Two remained in hospital overnight for observation of more serious head injuries. None of the injuries is considered life threatening.

Source

Gee, I feel a lot safer knowing we have all these retarded gun laws. Too bad someone couldn't have shot his @$$. Mind you only criminals have guns; where are the criminals when you need them?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Too bad someone couldn't have shot his ass? Mentally ill, and no life threatening injuries, yet, you think the appropriate reaction is to kill him dead on the spot? Not, perhaps, to tackle him and give him a taste of his own medicine? It sounds like it happened the way it should have to me.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Too bad someone couldn't have shot his ass? Mentally ill, and no life threatening injuries, yet, you think the appropriate reaction is to kill him dead on the spot? Not, perhaps, to tackle him and give him a taste of his own medicine? It sounds like it happened the way it should have to me.

Yeah.... even though there's a chance that some of the victims might have some perm. damage to their noggins for the future, they're still alive, the guy was caught alive, and now he can face justice. I don't see any justification for gunning the guy down on the street, as all he had a was a hammer..... and if you can't take someone down who's only got a hammer without resorting to a firearm, then there's something wrong.

He got tackled, the guy who tackled him got hit with the hammer.... that's to be expected.... keep fighting the scum.... but there's no justification for killing him.

Of course, I'm always a backer of Eye-for-an-Eye rule, as Karrie mentioned, crack him in the head a few times and see how he likes it..... of course, he's already got mental issues, so I'm not sure if that'd be a good or bad thing.

With any luck, this guy will be locked away in a mental ward for the rest of his life, esspecially if he's got a history already.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Yeah.... even though there's a chance that some of the victims might have some perm. damage to their noggins for the future, they're still alive, the guy was caught alive, and now he can face justice. I don't see any justification for gunning the guy down on the street, as all he had a was a hammer..... and if you can't take someone down who's only got a hammer without resorting to a firearm, then there's something wrong.

He got tackled, the guy who tackled him got hit with the hammer.... that's to be expected.... keep fighting the scum.... but there's no justification for killing him.

Of course, I'm always a backer of Eye-for-an-Eye rule, as Karrie mentioned, crack him in the head a few times and see how he likes it..... of course, he's already got mental issues, so I'm not sure if that'd be a good or bad thing.

With any luck, this guy will be locked away in a mental ward for the rest of his life, esspecially if he's got a history already.

Prax,
Psychological disorder...okay....but today they are called disabled and do not get locked away......therapy is considered more appropriate.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Prax,
Psychological disorder...okay....but today they are called disabled and do not get locked away......therapy is considered more appropriate.

I have a friend who's locked away for the rest of his life for much less. When it comes to psychiatric problems, our system does actually seem to have some strength to keep people locked up.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Forget about building new prisons! this country needs many new mental hospitals..the kind where the patients are straitjacketed 24/7!

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC

That's right. Someone should have shot him dead. Someone should have shot the psycho on the bus dead too. According to your posts, later on, apparently you keep company with psychos, maybe that's why you would like to see them handled with kid gloves?

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Forget about building new prisons! this country needs many new mental hospitals..the kind where the patients are straitjacketed 24/7!

You mean like concentration camps? Get the real scum off the street sort of thing?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
That's right. Someone should have shot him dead. Someone should have shot the psycho on the bus dead too. According to your posts, later on, apparently you keep company with psychos, maybe that's why you would like to see them handled with kid gloves?

lol... oh, wow, ouch. You making judgement calls against the mental illness of my friends stings so Scott... please, someone... make it stop. lol.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
lol... oh, wow, ouch. You making judgement calls against the mental illness of my friends stings so Scott... please, someone... make it stop. lol.

I'm just wondering why you think it's so great someone got to run around with a hammer bonking people on the head giving them brain damage. One possibility is that you relate to the perpetrator more than to the victim. I was speculating on that possibility - yes. Now I suspect it's more true than I first imagined.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'm just wondering why you think it's so great someone got to run around with a hammer bonking people on the head, giving them brain damage. One possibility is that you relate to the perpetrator more than to the victim.

I think it's great? Welcome to the absurd Scott. How are things out in left field? The daisies you've picked are lovely. It's so nice to see you getting some sun.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
I think it's great? Welcome to the absurd Scott. How are things out in left field? The daisies you've picked are lovely. It's so nice to see you getting some sun.

You should go visit the hammer victims and tell them "it turned out the way it should have."

Then tell me who lives in la la land.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
You should go visit the hammer victims and tell them "it turned out the way it should have."

Then tell me who lives in la la land.

So you're assuming that because they were injured, that they would want to see a mentally ill man shot dead, rather than tackled and subsequently arrested? Really... that's a pretty big leap. A massive leap frankly.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
So you're assuming that because they were injured, that they would want to see a mentally ill man shot dead, rather than tackled and subsequently arrested? Really... that's a pretty big leap. A massive leap frankly.

And you think they wouldn't.

But that isn't the issue. You think it is reasonable that a man should be able to destroy nine different lives because he is having an episode. That him being eventually tackled and taken alive is a better solution than his dying so that eight other people could still keep their normal lives.

If he had tried to hammer a cop in the head he would have been shot dead. It is too bad non of the victims had that option. But then we don't live in a free country so our options are limited.

Yes the man should have been killed and I only wish someone had been able to do it to save the other people.

Perhaps you don't understand what being hit in the head with a hammer does to someone? I'm pretty sure you wear a bicycle helmet right? Maybe you should try and put your self in the victims shoes instead of the perpetrators and think about how nine people have to live with brain injuries.

Yes, it would be preferable those eight additional people could carry on their lives and the retard (mentally ill) person be shot dead. Yes, yes, yes and a million times yes - that would be better.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
And you think they wouldn't.

But that isn't the issue. You think it is reasonable that a man should be able to destroy nine different lives because he is having an episode. That him being eventually tackled and taken alive is a better solution than his dying so that eight other people could still keep their normal lives.

If he had tried to hammer a cop in the head he would have been shot dead. It is too bad non of the victims had that option.

Yes the man should have been killed and I only wish someone had been able to do it to save the other people.

Perhaps you don't understand what being hit in the head with a hammer does to someone? I'm pretty sure you wear a bicycle helmet right? Maybe you should try and put your self in the victims shoes instead of the perpetrators and think about how nine people have to live with brain injuries.

Yes, it would be preferable those nine people could carry on their lives and the retard (mentally ill) person be shot dead. Yes, yes, yes and a million times yes - that would be better.

I never made any ridiculous assumption as to what the victims would want... that would be moronic Scott. Nine different victims means nine different people, nine different outlooks, and nine different opinions. I said what MY opinion was... that a mentally ill person wielding a hammer as a weapon didn't deserve to be shot.

And don't you come in and start lecturing me about needing to be more sympathetic to the victims Scott... you have no right to EVER lecture me about sympathy for victims after your performance and wise cracks about Tim McLean.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
I never made any ridiculous assumption as to what the victims would want... that would be moronic Scott. Nine different victims means nine different people, nine different outlooks, and nine different opinions. I said what MY opinion was... that a mentally ill person wielding a hammer as a weapon didn't deserve to be shot.

And don't you come in and start lecturing me about needing to be more sympathetic to the victims Scott... you have no right to EVER lecture me about sympathy for victims after your performance and wise cracks about Tim McLean.

I was just following the conversation. I gave my opinion like you gave yours.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I was just following the conversation. I gave my opinion like you gave yours.

No... I asked questions... you accused me of keeping company with psychos... you then decided that I thought that loose mental patients wreaking havoc are a good thing, intentionally skewing what I'd said... there's a difference there Scott. But I'm sure you don't see it, as usual.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
No... I asked questions... you accused me of keeping company with psychos...

You said you did:

"I have a friend who's locked away for the rest of his life for much less."

I don't think you understand my meaning. I have known many psychos in my life. I am well aware of who and what psychos are like. I was raised being baby sat by heroin addicts. A man that baby sat me when I was ten spent years in prison for rape and stalking women.

You know a psycho - big deal. I have known hundreds.

I don't like them. I don't call them friends. Maybe it takes knowing hundreds before you realize they aren't worth a single normal life, but believe you me, they aren't.

you then decided that I thought that loose mental patients wreaking havoc are a good thing,

You said you thought it had worked out like it should. That means you thought it ended in a good way.

intentionally skewing what I'd said... there's a difference there Scott. But I'm sure you don't see it, as usual.

I wasn't skewing what you said. I was only responding to what you said. I'm not sure you see that difference - as usual.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
You know a psycho - big deal. I have known hundreds.

No Scott, I don't know a psycho... there's your main mistake. You may have been raised around psychos, but no, I don't call a psycho friend. I know a mentally ill man who's been locked up for life for doing much less than this man did. That is not the same as knowing a psycho. You're jumping to ignorant assumptions based on your own sad tales.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
No Scott, I don't know a psycho... there's your main mistake. You may have been raised around psychos, but no, I don't call a psycho friend. I know a mentally ill man who's been locked up for life for doing much less than this man did. That is not the same as knowing a psycho. You're jumping to ignorant assumptions based on your own sad tales.

Any psycho is mentally ill, they all are, and they may well be retarded but they just might not be. It is impossible to know for sure without watching them closely to see them slip up and let their intelligence slip out. I'm not saying they try and hide it, though some do, but that social misfits often look retarded. I have known a few brilliant psychos that were diagnosed as retarded by professionals. I don't care how much training someone has telling the difference between slow and sociopath can be very difficult; a challenge most people aren't up to.

My tale isn't sad. If I had been on that Grey Hound with the knife guy or in Vancouver with the hammer guy I would have been able to solve the problem with only the psycho getting his. That isn't sad. I feel damn good about that. I see people who have had a "happy story" and they look like they live in a cloud to me. I wouldn't want to live in a place that out of touch with reality.