Tractor driver shot dead after copycat attack in Jerusalem

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

Israeli security forces secure the site of a tractor attack on Jerusalem's King David Street on Tuesday. The tractor driver was shot dead after he attacked two cars with the vehicle, police said.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/07/22/israel-attack.html

A man rammed a construction vehicle into three cars and a city bus on a busy downtown Jerusalem street Tuesday, before he was shot dead in the second such incident in the area this month.

Four people were injured before a civilian shot and killed the driver, and police are searching for two suspects who fled the scene, police said.

The attack happened several hundred metres from the luxury King David Hotel, where U.S. presidential hopeful Barack Obama is scheduled to stay Tuesday night during a trip to Israel.

Earlier in July, on another busy Jerusalem street five kilometres away, a Palestinian from east Jerusalem plowed a front-end loader into a string of vehicles and pedestrians, killing three and injuring dozens before an off-duty officer shot the assailant dead.

Officials also identified the latest attacker as a Palestinian from east Jerusalem with an Israeli residence permit, and called it a "terror attack," though no group immediately claimed responsibility.

An attorney for the family of the construction worker who perpetrated the July 2 attack later told media the man "went berserk" and acted completely alone.
'Just kept ramming into cars'

Israeli rescue services said one person evacuated had a partially severed leg. Local media also reported that a mother and her baby were among the injured.

Witness Moshe Shimshi said the driver slammed into the side of the bus, then sped away and went for a car. "He didn't yell anything, he just kept ramming into cars," Shimshi said.

The driver then headed for cars waiting at a red light "and rammed into them with all his might," he added.

Officers sealed off all possible escape routes into the predominantly Arab East Jerusalem on Tuesday and were searching for the two suspects, police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said.

Arab residents of East Jerusalem, like other Arab Israelis, have full freedom to work and travel throughout Israel. They have the same blue identity cards issued to all Israeli citizens.

The July 2 attack plus a deadly shooting at a Jerusalem religious school in March renewed debate over the status of Palestinian residents in the largely Arab East Jerusalem since both attackers were Palestinians living and moving freely within the city's confines.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I haven't heard anything about that yet... I was wondering if they did, if this was related in protest.

Then again, there has been plenty of people who have lost many homes and family members from Israeli bulldozers over the years..... chances are many might see this as a way to enact vengance..... but then again, what do I know?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
They will now.

I think the headline should be ARMED CIVILIAN WHACKS EVIL-DOER.

:)

Both times it has been armed civies that stopped these would-be mass murders.

Funny, I thought they just said an off duty officer shot the first guy.

Either way, I'd still rather take my chances with a tractor over a mass population loaded to the teeth with guns who think they can be heros.

And besides, they were tractors, not tanks..... it's not that hard to hop onto a moving one from behind and swing around to kick the sh*t out of the idiot driving from the side..... bam... situation under control, nobody else died, the idiot gets to face trial and jail for his stupid behavior.

But I guess shooting people makes things easier for some. What sort of challenge is that?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Funny, I thought they just said an off duty officer shot the first guy.

Either way, I'd still rather take my chances with a tractor over a mass population loaded to the teeth with guns who think they can be heros.

And besides, they were tractors, not tanks..... it's not that hard to hop onto a moving one from behind and swing around to kick the sh*t out of the idiot driving from the side..... bam... situation under control, nobody else died, the idiot gets to face trial and jail for his stupid behavior.

But I guess shooting people makes things easier for some. What sort of challenge is that?

Ah, both times the guys were IDed as "off-duty soldiers", after first being IDed as civilians.

Cute trick media morons.....everybody in Israel is a soldier.

BTW, despite terrorism and political upheaval, the murder rate in Israel compares well with our own........and people walk the streets carrying automatic weapons.

the jews learned their lesson very well.......never, never allow yourself to be disarmed.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Ah, both times the guys were IDed as "off-duty soldiers", after first being IDed as civilians.

BTW, despite terrorism and political upheaval, the murder rate in Israel compares well with our own........and people walk the streets carrying automatic weapons.

the jews learned their lesson very well.......never, never allow yourself to be disarmed.

Too bad they haven't learned the old lesson of "Don't take over other people's homes." and perhaps they wouldn't need the automatic weapons in the first place.

And yes, everybody in Israel is a soldier.... the lovely manditory draft of it's civilians to be a soldier and be dictated what to do with your life without choice for a number of years.... a glittering becon of democracy they be... where can I sign up?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

Yeah ... but shoot first and ask questions later does not encourage adoration....

(and before the word-twister hits, not necessarily in this case but in so many others)