Toronto police, corrections officers arrested in connection with grow-ops

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2008/07/03/police-busts.html

Two Toronto police officers and three corrections officers were some of the 23 people arrested Thursday on suspicion of being involved with "a very elaborate criminal organization" that grew and sold marijuana and other drugs.

And who said potheads were dumb? Oh wait, they got caught... never mind.

During a news conference Thursday, Toronto police Chief William Blair said an investigation in February into marijuana grow-ops in neighbouring York Region uncovered evidence that linked a Toronto constable to one of the residences under investigation.

Subsequent investigations led to allegations that a second member of the Toronto Police Service and three corrections officers were also involved in the "criminal enterprise, the primary purpose of which was the production and distribution of marijuana, the distribution of other drugs, and the laundering of the proceeds of their criminal enterprise," Blair said.

Of 23 people arrested Thursday, 20 have been charged, including one young offender.

Kevin Bourne and Patrick Lee, who have served with the Toronto police for nine and eight years respectively, are in custody. They are expected to appear in a Newmarket court on Friday.

"The conduct alleged by these two individual officers, and quite frankly also by those corrections officers that are accused in today's investigation, [means] that trust is challenged and we are very disappointed," Blair said.

In addition to the arrests, investigators seized nearly eight kilograms of marijuana and $60,000 in cash during the raids Thursday, as well as three houses and five vehicles.

Superintendent James Ramer said the enterprise was run by "a very elaborate criminal organization" that was allegedly in operation for about two years and sold ecstasy and steroids as well as marijuana.

"It's certainly disappointing to find out that you have two of your own members involved, but it's work that needs to be done. We have to ensure the public trust and public confidence," Ramer said.

The investigation continues.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
It pisses me off when cops get involved in stuff like this.

I don't give a damn what you grow, smoke, or mix up in the kitchen sink.....

but when you are sworn to uphold the law.....

They should get triple the sentence of the non-peace officers.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario

Can't say I disagree. It's probably, and I'm just guessing here, accurate to say these cops are crooks who managed to get themselves into the police force. I suspect they never had any intention of being officers with integrity.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Can't say I disagree. It's probably, and I'm just guessing here, accurate to say these cops are crooks who managed to get themselves into the police force. I suspect they never had any intention of being officers with integrity.

They're out there. Fortunately, bad cops only make up a minority of all who wear the shield. Sadly, it's that smaller percentage who paints a target on all of them - and disillusions a lot of really good cops.

Last edited:

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006

But thats not how it works...

If a crime occurs against a cop the perpetrators get extraharsh sentances, as cops are more important than regular citizens.

If a cop commits a crime, despite being sworn to uphold the law, they tend to get reduced if any sentances, for well, obvious reasons.

There is no human organization that can call itself pure and free of bad influence. The police force is no difference, criminals WILL infiltrate it like any other organization.

I have alot of respect for good cops, but quite frankly there still needs to be less idolization of them, and more skepticism of any officers claims, because more than enough bad cops exist.