Teens at U.S. high school made pact to get pregnant

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

Gloucester is a city on Cape Ann in Essex County, Massachusetts, in the U.S. It is part of Boston's North Shore and has a population of approximately 30,273.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...0620/pregnancy_pact_080620/20080620?hub=World

Teen girls at a Massachusetts high school may have made a pact to get pregnant and raise their babies together, according to a published report.

The Time Magazine report said that this school year, 17 girls from Gloucester High School became pregnant. The school, which has about 1,200 students, usually has about four pregnancies a year.

School principal Joseph Sullivan told Time that half of the girls confessed to the pact.

Sullivan said that school officials' suspicions were raised when more girls than usual turned up at the school clinic requesting pregnancy tests. Some of the girls "seemed more upset when they weren't pregnant than when they were," said Sullivan.

None of the pregnant girls is over the age of 16. Some of the fathers are students at the same high school. However, Sullivan said that one of the fathers is a believed to be a 24-year-old homeless man.

Oh HOLY HEEEELLLL PEOPLE!!! GROSSS!!!

That's just Skanky!

Gloucester, a small town of 30,000 people located about 50 km north of Boston, is staunchly Catholic. The Time story reported that in the wake of the rash of pregnancies, school health officials wanted to be able to dispense birth control pills to students. However, some parents protested that plan.

The school has an on-site daycare to encourage teen parents to stay in school.

The story is gaining some attention just as teenage pregnancy issues are coming to the fore in popular culture. The recent independent film Juno featured a wise-cracking teen who gets pregnant after having sex with her boyfriend for the first time. And Britney Spears's 17-year-old sister, Jamie-Lynn, gave birth to a baby girl on Thursday morning.

JEeezzzuzzzzz......

So what do you sum this up to? Parenting? The Lack of Sexual Education from schools and parents? Stupidity?

Yeah I can't wait to see how many of these idiots start second guessing having a kid when their V-Holes are being ripped apart by a big bald head with snot and blood shooting everywhere. And if that doesn't give them a wake-up call that they made a very stupid decision for their ages, the fact that the rest of their lives will be devoted to taking care of a child they brought into the world and now missed out on a lot of things they could have been doing in their 20's will.

Not that I'm saying having children at a younger age is a bad thing... but when you're not even hitting 16 years of age and having one because everybody else is doing it, sure isn't the brightest thing you're going to be remembered for.

There's going to be a lot of screwed up parents and even more screwed up kids in the next coming generation..... oh boy, I can't wait......

Last edited:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Additional Information:

Gloucester High School has seen an alarming rise in pregnancies

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7464925.stm

Officials in the US state of Massachusetts are investigating how 17 teenage girls from the same school have become pregnant.

The number is four times as high as the year before at Gloucester High School.

There are reports that some of the girls - none of whom is older than 16 - entered into a pact to have their babies together.

The girls and their families have so far made no comment. Officials are also investigating the ages of the fathers.

Some are believed to be in their twenties and could face the possibility of being charged with having sex with minors.

It is illegal to have sex with anyone younger than 16 in Massachusetts.

Disturbing
Some of the school's own staff believe the sharp increase in the number of pregnancies was no accident.

"Some girls seemed more upset when they weren't pregnant than when they were," Gloucester High School principal Joseph Sullivan told Time magazine.

Local officials say that nearly half of the girls had entered into a bizarre pact to have their babies together.

Dr Elizabeth Guthrie, a paediatric psychiatrist at New York's Columbia University, told the BBC that some girls might be viewing pregnancy as a fast-track to adulthood and independence.

"It may give you an opportunity for unconditional love and attention from the baby," she said.
Local teenager Amanda Ireland, a mother who has just graduated from Gloucester High School, offered a blunt warning to other girls.

"Don't try to get pregnant. People say they know what it's like because they have younger siblings, but they really have no idea," she told the BBC.

David Landry, a researcher at the Guttmacher Institute, a New York-based non-profit group focusing on reproductive issues, said the declining teenage pregnancy rate of recent years appeared to be reversing.

Birth rates for girls aged 15 to 17 rose by 3% in 2006, the first increase since 1991, according to preliminary data released in December by the National Center for Health Statistics.

This trend was highlighted on Thursday when Britney Spears' 17-year-old sister Jamie Lynn, star of a popular television show Zoey 101, gave birth to a baby girl, according to People magazine.

But Mr Landry cautioned against attributing the pact or the worrying statistics to Hollywood. Recent hits have included Juno, in which a teenager gets pregnant and decides to have the baby, and Knocked Up, a comedy about a one-night stand.
"The trend emerged before those movies," he said.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
When my husband and I built our first house, we decided to build a room in the basement that we could rent out. We put ads in at the college, for a room to rent, with a monetary discount on rent in exchange for housekeeping.

We ended up getting a call from family services, instead of a college student, and they asked if they could come over with a client to look at the room. 15 year old 'E' came trundling into our lives, 7 months pregnant, and so excited over how much nicer the place looked than any other option she'd seen, that we simply didn't have the heart to say no.

Through the course of discussing her options, talking about where she might go to school, how she was going to afford this child, she admitted that she'd realized... if she wanted more kids, then was the time to have them. Everything was paid for, all the major hurtles fell to someone else to figure out. She just had to go where she was told, and hold her baby close, and let everyone else figure out the tough stuff.

It's a sad reality, but, it looks like these girls have it figured.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Are they black?

The many fatherless boys in black families

The Globe and Mail, Nov. 26, 2005
November 26, 2005 at 2:24 PM EDT

Who is doing the killing and who is being killed in the wave of reckless public violence that has struck Toronto? Black boys and young men with no fathers in their homes. Yet as politicians at all three levels and black community leaders scramble for answers to the anarchy, no one has dared talk about the crisis of fatherlessness in the black community.
The silence is inexcusable. Growing up without a father present is now the norm for many black children in Canada, particularly those of Jamaican ancestry. Nearly half of all black children under 14 in Canada have just one parent in the home, compared to slightly under one in five of Canadian children as a whole, census figures from 2001 show. Two in three Jamaican-Canadian children in Toronto are being raised by a single parent. The U.S. trend of "radical fatherlessness" -- in which the majority of children in an apartment building, on a street or in a neighbourhood lack fathers -- is hitting Toronto like a tsunami.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Are they black?

Explain to me what fatherless black boys in Toronto being violent, has to do with pregnant girls in another country. That's got to be one of the most ridiculous connections I've seen someone make in a while.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
That's the joys of political correctness. So much sound is lost when you tippy-toe around facts. One will call you down for a blatant observation while another will have seen but said nothing. That IS a really wide brush though....

Last edited:

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
When my husband and I built our first house, we decided to build a room in the basement that we could rent out. We put ads in at the college, for a room to rent, with a monetary discount on rent in exchange for housekeeping.

We ended up getting a call from family services, instead of a college student, and they asked if they could come over with a client to look at the room. 15 year old 'E' came trundling into our lives, 7 months pregnant, and so excited over how much nicer the place looked than any other option she'd seen, that we simply didn't have the heart to say no.

Through the course of discussing her options, talking about where she might go to school, how she was going to afford this child, she admitted that she'd realized... if she wanted more kids, then was the time to have them. Everything was paid for, all the major hurtles fell to someone else to figure out. She just had to go where she was told, and hold her baby close, and let everyone else figure out the tough stuff.

It's a sad reality, but, it looks like these girls have it figured.

That's not always the case, though. They can end up in the street if the circumstances fall that way. I am not saying in the particular case mentioned in the OP, but it can happen elsewhere.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
It used to be security.... The old Mothers Allowance thing was better than welfare and easier than being rejected by every place that wasn't hiring (if they were of working ethic) I have no idea how things are in Massachusetts, but I can't imagine the State wanting to pick up the tab any more than Ontario does now.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
It used to be security.... The old Mothers Allowance thing was better than welfare and easier than being rejected by every place that wasn't hiring (if they were of working ethic) I have no idea how things are in Massachusetts, but I can't imagine the State wanting to pick up the tab any more than Ontario does now.

They are getting rid of the "Baby Bonus"?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Didn't the old "baby bonus" thing fade into a child tax credit long ago? I've been out of the money end of kids for a long time so it's out of my league.

I also am not sure. The youngest of my siblings will be turning 20 in August, so I am not the person to ask.:lol::lol:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Another problem with these fools getting pregnant early, is that the last report on this I seen back on Friday, claimed many of them were probably thinking they a new baby would be like having a little brother or sister in the family and with unconditional love etc etc.....

Yet the big problem isn't just for those girls, it's their parents, as not only do they still have to raise their daughters, but whenever something happens with their babies, who do you think they're going to run to? Mommy and Daddy, and thus they'll not only be taking care of their own daughters, but their grandkids too.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
...but whenever something happens with their babies, who do you think they're going to run to? Mommy and Daddy, and thus they'll not only be taking care of their own daughters, but their grandkids too.

Absolutely. Girls that age, no matter how well meaning, don't have the tools in their emotional repertoire to deal with a colicky baby. We had many a night where hubby and I had to get up to help calm both E's baby, and her, because a colicky night had been too hard on both. I can remember hubby sitting in the chair, sleeping while rocking the baby, while this poor 16 yr old girl collapsed in exhaustion and fell asleep on the couch.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
On that same report I saw on Friday, they said that the majority of teenagers who get pregnant in high school never complete high school, and their children are usually far more worse off when they grow up.

Exactly, and their children are much more likely to become teen parents themselves... It's truly sad. I wish all children were intended and born to people mature enough to raise them well. I see too many born to people who will have a heck of a time raising them either because they are so immature (not just in chronological age) or they don't have the resources they need. People seem to think that loving a child is all that matters, but they ignore the practicality of how they will actually raise that child. I've been working with babies for 6 years or so and the longer I do it, the more respect I have for parents who are able to do it well!

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Exactly, and their children are much more likely to become teen parents themselves... It's truly sad. I wish all children were intended and born to people mature enough to raise them well. I see too many born to people who will have a heck of a time raising them either because they are so immature (not just in chronological age) or they don't have the resources they need. People seem to think that loving a child is all that matters, but they ignore the practicality of how they will actually raise that child. I've been working with babies for 6 years or so and the longer I do it, the more respect I have for parents who are able to do it well!

See, although I feel I'm getting around the age where I would feel comfortible having a child, I am in no rush to do so. I feel the longer I have to relfect on my own life and how I am, and the longer I have to try and get my life situated in a secure fashion (Financial and Relationship-wise) the better off, or the better chance I may have for my child to be raised as properly as possible, as I see it.

In other words, I am taking the time to deal with myself and the problems I may have in my life, so that I can better deal with my child's when the time comes.

One of the things that always seemed odd to me were the couples who wern't nessicarily planning on having a child but do, and their response is "Well it just sorta happened, we wern't planning for it." ~ And for those people I just want to give them a good hard bitch-slap up side the head.

It doesn't just sorta happen..... if you are having sex, you best accept the fact that there is a chance that that one time you do or anytime you do have sex, could be the time you or your girlfriend/wife become pregnant, and if you are willing to have sex, you best be prepared to accept any consequences for those actions. If you planned on having sex, then you plan to create the chance of pregnancy, regardless if you use protection or not.

It can and will happen when it's going to happen, and if you don't want to have a baby with the person you're having sex with, or you don't think they'd be a good parent, then wtf are you sleeping with them in the first place, giving them the chance to be one and forever be a part of your life hence forth?

Some people are willing to sleep around with as many people as they can, or just for pleasure..... to them, so be it. But when you practice that lifestyle, you best educate yourself on the possible situations which may arise from that sort of lifestyle.... be that STD's, Pregnancy, or anything else under the sun.

You make the decision to have sex, and when you do, you can't bitch and cry to your parents that you're going to have a kid..... you have nobody else to blame but yourself for your own actions.

If you want to have sex galore and sleep around with everybody you see for pleasure, then fine.... reduce your chances of screwing up some kids life by getting your tubes tied or your testies severed and store your eggs or sperm somewhere where you can use them when you are ready. Don't let some child be brought into the world with your problems that you can't hack..... they're the one's who will suffer the most.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Just a technical problem with that rant: you would be hardpressed to find a doctor who will surgically sterilize you when you're young and haven't had kids. A friend of mine is turning 35 this year and her doc still won't do it. A 15 year old isn't mature enough to make a lot of those decisions properly. I would be very interested in seeing how the fathers are dealt with. Will the state actually go after them for child support?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Just a technical problem with that rant: you would be hardpressed to find a doctor who will surgically sterilize you when you're young and haven't had kids. A friend of mine is turning 35 this year and her doc still won't do it.

My husband was almost 30, with two little kids, and even then they were reluctant. The only reason they agreed was my wonderful combo of pseudotumor cerebri, and fibromyalgia. If I had been healthy, they wouldn't have let him make that choice so young.