Hezbollah activating sleeper cells in Canada: report

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I was trying to find this yesterday when I first heard about it, but I guess the internet isn't as fast as I am.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/06/19/hezbollah-canada.html

The militant group Hezbollah has activated suspected "sleeper cells" in Canada and is poised to launch attacks against "Jewish targets" beyond the Middle East, according to a report.

ABC News is reporting that, according to intelligence officials, suspected Hezbollah operatives have conducted recent surveillance on the Israeli embassy in Ottawa and several synagogues in Toronto. Hezbollah is being helped by Iran's elite Revolutionary Group, the officials said.

But they also told ABC News there is no credible information on a specific target.

Hezbollah is apparently seeking revenge for the February assassination of one of its military commanders, Imad Mugniyah, in a car-bombing in Damascus, the officials said.

The group's leaders blame Israel. The allegation is denied by Israeli officials.

The officials said that U.S., British and Canadian intelligence agencies picked up information about a possible attack days after Mugniyah's funeral. As many as 20 suspected Hezbollah members have been under surveillance after as many as four suspected "sleeper cells" were activated, the officials told the news network.

As well, they reported that a known Hezbollah weapons expert was followed to Canada, where he was seen at a firing range in the Toronto area.

But Michel Juneau-Katsuya, a former intelligence officer for CSIS, told CBC News that Hezbollah, which has lots of political and financial support in Canada, would alienate its supporters by launching attacks.

He also said it's very rare for Hezbollah to launch attacks outside of the Middle East.

"If we simply go by historical trend, that would be going against their usual practice," he said.

Bernie Farber, CEO of the Canadian Jewish Congress, told the Canadian Press that there has been "chatter out there" since the assassination of the Hezbollah leader, but Canadian authorities have said there's nothing to lead them to believe there's any truth to it.

"They've known about this alleged threat for a while, they've investigated it, and they've told me categorically that while the chatter is out there, and it has been for a while, there is nothing to lead them to believe that there's anything imminent or that in fact the chatter is real," Farber said.

The thing that gets me is that it originally came from an American News Agency about Canadian Security..... I'll let you guys connect the dots.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
One has to wonder if America and the Mossad will be as willing to declare their terrorist cells "sleeping" in Canada.... Israel has no qualms using Canadian passports to slip through security.....

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Yeah kick thier arses. That's one country I ain't going to miss, the whineing would fall off by 85.6% planet wide. I'm so tired of hearing about thier imaginary problems.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I don't think anything will come of this, the report was, I believe, pretty well down played by the intelligence services.

Of course, there was once a Jewish Community Centre in Buenos Aries as well.

One thing fer sure, should Hezbollah blow up a Jewish school in Montreal, the smoke will not have cleared before the lefties are accusing the Mossad and US intelligence........

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Yeah kick thier arses. That's one country I ain't going to miss, the whineing would fall off by 85.6% planet wide. I'm so tired of hearing about thier imaginary problems.

Oh ... I don't want then wiped out by any means. I would like Isreal to realize it is part of a world community - no better or no worse and certainly not the biggest part.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I don't think anything will come of this, the report was, I believe, pretty well down played by the intelligence services.

Of course, there was once a Jewish Community Centre in Buenos Aries as well.

One thing fer sure, should Hezbollah blow up a Jewish school in Montreal, the smoke will not have cleared before the lefties are accusing the Mossad and US intelligence........

...and who will the twisties be blaming?

Woof!

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
...and who will the twisties be blaming?

Woof!

The twisties?????????????? I don't understand.

Remember, HeZbollah already blew up the Jewish Centre in Argentina that I refered to......they are not above this kind of act..........would you like to see Israel punished by Canadian Jews getting blown into little bits?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
The twisties?????????????? I don't understand.

Remember, HeZbollah already blew up the Jewish Centre in Argentina that I refered to......they are not above this kind of act..........would you like to see Israel punished by Canadian Jews getting blown into little bits?

I mean the guys who are going to blame without investigation (like someone smacking Iraq for what someone hiding in Afghanistan was alleged to have done) I would like to see them all keep their wars at home - and use their own national identities to conduct them.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I mean the guys who are going to blame without investigation (like someone smacking Iraq for what someone hiding in Afghanistan was alleged to have done) I would like to see them all keep their wars at home - and use their own national identities to conduct them.

Well, can't argue with that.