Hundreds of Taliban killed in Afghan battle: Kandahar governor

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/06/19/canada-taliban.html

Canadian and Afghan soldiers are still hunting for Taliban insurgents holed up in the orchards and fruit groves surrounding Kandahar, but the major battle has come to an end, a Canadian military official said Thursday.

Brig.-Gen. Denis Thompson wouldn't comment on the number of casualties in Wednesday's military operation, but local governor Asadullah Khalid said hundreds of Taliban insurgents were killed and wounded in the fighting.

At least two Afghan soldiers died; there was no mention of any Canadian casualties and no word on the number of civilians killed.

The Afghan National Army led the operation under Canada's guidance, moving into the rural Arghandab region after reports emerged that hundreds of Taliban fighters were gathering there and preparing for possible attacks.

Local officials and residents said upward of 650 insurgents were in the area and had seized villages, bombed bridges and planted landmines in preparation for an attack on the city of Kandahar, just 15 kilometres away.

NATO, which is leading the foreign mission in Afghanistan, downplayed the Taliban's capabilities, saying there were far fewer than 650 fighters and the city was never truly under threat.
Residents will be compensated: Thompson

Khalid, the Kandahar provincial governor, said that residents of Arghandab who fled their homes in the hours before Wednesday's battle may be able to return within three days. The time frame will be crucial for most residents, who run fruit farms in the area and are at the height of harvest season.

Thompson said people whose homes were destroyed in the battle will be compensated.
He stressed that the military will need to maintain a strong presence in Arghandab to ensure that the Taliban does not move back into the area. Thompson said humanitarian projects will also be crucial.

Wednesday's battle came after a bold attack last Friday on Kandahar's prison, during which insurgents managed to set free 400 suspected Taliban militants.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Canadian military officials are highly unreliable sources of information as is CBC. It's more than a little convienient to have a nice victory right after the prison break so this report is crap as usual.
Residents will be compensated that means a lot of goats and buildings got smucked by the US airfarce. Leadership in this country sucks the empire and the media is a corrupt collection of liars and posers.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Canadian military officials are highly unreliable sources of information as is CBC. It's more than a little convienient to have a nice victory right after the prison break so this report is crap as usual.

By all means, if you have any better sources of information that refute the above information, dish it out to us.... if not, then quit yer whining.

Residents will be compensated that means a lot of goats and buildings got smucked by the US airfarce. Leadership in this country sucks the empire and the media is a corrupt collection of liars and posers.

Yeah, thanks for that factual analysis.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Got any pictures of them dead terrorists I mean insurgents, no , that's because there aren't any, and Colpy reminded us there are no captives or wounded either so the article is propaganda pure and simple. I'll have to punish you with a bad rep point Praxius. whine whinewhinewhinewhine

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Got any pictures of them dead terrorists I mean insurgents, no , that's because there aren't any, and Colpy reminded us there are no captives or wounded either so the article is propaganda pure and simple. I'll have to punish you with a bad rep point Praxius. whine whinewhinewhinewhine

Oooo.... Nooooo ..... Not a bad rep! Whatever shall I do with myself now?

Have you any pictures or information to prove your side of the argument? No. All there is is your unfoundless assumptions with nothing to back them up.... thanks for disproving your point and proving my point though. While you go on some baseless rant, I've at least provided some accepted information, regardless if you think it's propaganda or not. And you can't claim it's propaganda unless you have something to refute it or prove it to be skewed or otherwise false.

Sorry, you also got your information wrong, as there's a big difference between the Taliban and the Insurgence in Iraq..... Insurgence in Iraq are the people of Iraq who don't want the US in their country, the Taliban were the ones occupying Afghanistan until they were pushed out, and the majority of Afghans don't want them back. And the fact that the majority of the Taliban are coming from over Pakistan's border, it's more of a re-invasion then it is an insurgency.

If it was an insurgency and the Taliban had nowhere else to go besides inside Afghanistan, then this wouldn't have taken as long as it has.

Last edited: