Bush to face huge anti-war demonstration in Italy

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

U.S. President George W. Bush, left, meets with Italian President Giorgio Napolitano at Quirinale Palace in Rome, Italy on Thursday, June 12, 2008. (AP / Evan Vucci)

A demonstrator shouts slogans on a street cordoned off by police leading to the U.S. embassy in Rome, during an anti-Bush protest on Wednesday, June 11, 2008. (AP Photo/Andrew Medichini)

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080612/bush_italy_080612/20080612?hub=World

ROME -- President Bush can look forward to a hearty welcome from his old friend, the charismatic Italian Premier Silvio Berlusconi, and Pope Benedict XVI during his visit to Rome. That's not what was found on the streets, however, where anti-Bush sentiment over the war in Iraq still lingers.

Anti-war activists and hundreds of other demonstrators marched through the Italian capital on Wednesday as Bush arrived for a visit that was to include meetings with Berlusconi on Thursday and the pope on Friday.

The president, as usual, kept about his business. His encountered scant signs of protest on his motorcade route on Thursday.

At the elegant hillside Villa Aurelia, part of the American Academy in Rome, Bush met with Italian entrepreneurs and encouraged young people to come get the "firsthand truth about America." He disputed what he called misinformation and propaganda about the United States.

"We're a compassionate, open country that cares about people ... We love the entrepreneurial spirit," Bush said.

*snickers* BWAAAA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA..... *Hack cough gag*

Security is extremely tight for Bush's two-day stay in Rome. Commercial flights have been banned over the city. Dozens of buses and trams have been rerouted. Thousands of policemen have been deployed as part of a plan to monitor any further protests, though Wednesday's march drew far fewer demonstrators than previous visits by Bush.

Slovenia and Germany, the first two stops on Bush's trip, were devoid of demonstrators. That was evidence that trans-Atlantic relations, fractured over the U.S.-led invasion in Iraq, are on the mend, that European leaders have moved beyond their anger over the war. The Rome protests are evidence that the Italian public still opposes the Bush administration.

Unlike other European leaders, such as former German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder and former French President Jacques Chirac, Berlusconi supported Bush on Iraq from the start. The 71-year-old media mogul defied domestic opposition and dispatched about 3,000 troops to Iraq after the fall of Iraqi President Saddam Hussein.

Those troops came home, and Berlusconi, recently elected to his third stint in power since 1994, has pledged not to send any back.

More than 2,000 Italian troops, however, are deployed as part of the NATO-led mission in Afghanistan.

Italy, along with Germany, France and Spain, have restricted their troops to less dangerous areas in northern Afghanistan. That has caused a rift because other NATO members are deployed in the more violent regions of the nation. The Italian government is reviewing the restrictions and Berlusconi's office said the premier would talk to Bush about that when they meet.

Bush's wife, first lady Laura Bush, on Wednesday pledged $10.2 billion on behalf of the United States to Afghanistan's reconstruction. She spoke at an international donors conference in Paris, where the president himself will be headed on Friday.

Berlusconi and Bush also were expected to discuss Italy's interest in joining with the five permanent members of the UN Security Council plus Germany that are making a diplomatic push to get Iran to give up what the West believes is an effort to develop nuclear weapons. That might seem unusual for Italy, which recently surpassed Germany as Iran's largest trading partner.

But to show Italy's strong opposition to Iran's suspected nuclear ambitions, Berlusconi and his government refused to meet with Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, who was in Rome for a UN-sponsored food summit.

Bush will meet with the pope on Friday before departing to Paris to continue his farewell European tour. It will be Bush's third meeting with Benedict. The two last met in April at the White House in Washington.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I don't like Bush's policies. I don't like Bush's war. But I certainly don't feel it's my place to call for the impeachment of someone else's president. That kind of blows me away.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I don't like Bush's policies. I don't like Bush's war. But I certainly don't feel it's my place to call for the impeachment of someone else's president. That kind of blows me away.

I think that's more of a message towards the people of the US.... whom seem to just be content to wait it out till the next election and hope for the best and that there might actually be some change... and then forget about everything that has just occured in the last number of years and brush it under the carpet as if they never did anything wrong..... like they never do anything wrong.

But that's just how I see it.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Why should we not be surprised by this? He is a liar and war criminal. The entire world should protest his war, except the yankees are to stupid to realize it.