Drunk Driving Program Goes Too Far?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
A drunk driving campaign in the US stepped up their mock accident program by sending police officers into a class full of students to inform them that two of their classmates had been killed the night before when they were struck by a drunk driver.

Students were left to grieve for a full 2 hours before they were informed that it was all part of the program, and they hadn't in fact lost their friends.

While some defend the actions, others are outraged.

Personally, I think it's deplorable. Especially having lost classmates to car wrecks... the idea that when the school came to inform us, we wouldn't believe them and would instead assume it was some 'play', is sad.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
That is crazy. I'd raise hell over it if it happened locally.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
It gave the kids two hours to experience the pain of a loss - two hours to realize it can happen close to home. I don't support the method, but if it scared someone into staying sober that day, it worked

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Off topic, but I don't understand why people are still stupid enough to drink and drive. We've had decades of public service announcements, education programs, grieving family members talking about their losses, etc. I have no tolerance for the level of stupidity it takes to ignore the obvious fact that drinking and driving isn't a good idea.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
If they have to run fake drunk driving death programs, maybe the problem isn't as bad as they want kids to think.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
It gave the kids two hours to experience the pain of a loss - two hours to realize it can happen close to home. I don't support the method, but if it scared someone into staying sober that day, it worked

The thing is though wolf, why would it stick once the anger hit? "This is what it feels like to lose someone".... but it was a lie that they lost them. It wasn't real. Frankly I think it would trivialize it to them. Like we're trying to desensitize them to the deaths of their friends, and make plays out of the consequences of drinking and driving.

The mock accident scenes do a better job than this, IMO, of driving home the consequences and ramifications.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto

When I first read the topic, my first reaction was that they went too far, but the more I think about it I think lone wolf might have the right reply.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
How would they feel if a parent phoned the police station and school the next morning to say their kid was so distraught over what happened they committed suicide? Give them a couple of hours to stew over it, then send the kid to school.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
How would it trivialize or desensitize kids to anything that TV and videogames already haven't? For two hours, they weren't immortal. For two hours they experienced something kids seldom do any more - vulnerability. We've saftied them away from the real world. Kids aren't stupid enough to not realize the next time, it might be real. That's the job of over-protective and doting parents.

Last edited:

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
I think I'm in agreement with Risus and lone wolf here... it's pretty diabolical, I'll admit that - my gut reaction was one of horror.

But having experienced a small taste of what the world looks like when a ****ty consequence occurs might just prove to be an effective way to plow past the jaded outlook that has invaded our society... particularly our youth.

Some of us are still able to recall seeing something on tv and actually being shocked. Ask any youth under the age of 12 what it would take to shock them. If you're surprised by their answer, you haven't been paying attention. Maybe it takes something experiential to help a kid get it nowadays.

It makes me sad to see that we've had to resort to such tactics to get our kids' attention - but I'm ok with it if it actually makes a few kids stop and think. Maybe it will be one of mine. I like to think they don't need such a harsh reminder, but I don't see it as much different than some of the shock programs that take kids to the morgue to see the crappy consequences of addiction and violence. Who wants their kid to see that either?

Attending a real funeral would so much worse, imo.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
But their friend didn't do anything wrong. The faceless drunk driver did something wrong. What lesson can be learned from a friend being innocent yet getting killed by a stranger? If the cops feel it is necessary to play mindgames, the issue should be about how much trouble their friend has gotten into by doing the DUI and killing someone else. The life altering consequences of doing something stupid is easier to relate to.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
But their friend didn't do anything wrong. The faceless drunk driver did something wrong. What lesson can be learned from a friend being innocent yet getting killed by a stranger? If the cops feel it is necessary to play mindgames, the issue should be about how much trouble their friend has gotten into by doing the DUI and killing someone else. The life altering consequences of doing something stupid is easier to relate to.

I don't know if kids really relate in a comprehensive way to the whole 'getting into trouble' angle... they're immortal after all - and bad things only happen to other people. It's one of the symptoms of adolescence. But this... this removes that last vestige of denial from them. Losing a friend affects them in a real way... and also forces them to acknowledge their own mortality. There's the wake up call. This could stop some kid from getting behind a wheel drunk, or stop a friend from doing so.

I'll bet my last dollar that the parent of a teen that either died or killed someone else due to alcohol and driving would give anything to have had their child experience this on the possibility it might have made the kid choose differently.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The flipside is every new generation has dealt with more 'shock and awe' than the last, and none of it has done much good. Perhaps if we lessened the amount of shock entering their heads they'd be in a better position to think clearly and make appropriate decisions.

I do know, if this happened to my kid I'd give them something to be distraught about in return. I don't send my kid to school to be distraught. If that was goal I'd just leave her at home with her mother. ;)

Reactions: karrie

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Far better to "fake" a catastrophe than let American service-age youngsters see the carnage their governent has participated in creating in Iraq......

While the person choosing to operate a motor vehicle while impaired is unarguably at fault when anything unfortunate happens....who will these moms and dads blame when Johnny and Sally get to see burn victims and amputees that the government that their moms and dads supported....return home from Iraq?

It's a form of conditioning that's accepted as appropriate. Make people feel great sorrow and loss...then say..."Just kidding!"........

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I was a student who played in one of those drinking and driving scenarios back when I was in grade 11. They had makup artists come and make us bloody and disgusting and pulled out two smashed up cars for us to get into to playout an emergency procedure as they hauled us out with jaws of life and all that good stuff. I think I got to play the dead guy if I remember correctly.

In all honesty, it didn't go far enough if you ask me, and the above situation isn't all that shocking to me.... in fact, I promote it.

Nobody seriously died, nobody is going to go and commit suicide because of being lied to, and all they did was play with their minds to activate the emotion button to make something stick in their heads, which needs to be done more often these days.

Hell, parents used to (Dunno if they still do it) go and haul their kids into prison or jail for the night to scared the snot out of them and to be scared of being yelled at by criminals inches away from them as they yelled and screamed at them......

.... It did a kid good to scare some sh*t out of them, and I think that's what's missing in todays kids.... they need to be scared sh*tless of the world.

In response to Kreskin's quote:

"The flipside is every new generation has dealt with more 'shock and awe' than the last, and none of it has done much good. Perhaps if we lessened the amount of shock entering their heads they'd be in a better position to think clearly and make appropriate decisions."

I tend to disagree with that. What you are describing sounds like pampering, censoring and protecting them from the realities of life. If you don't educate them of both the good and the bad in the world, how can you expect them to make appropriate decisions?

That's the problem with today's teenagers and their views on sex. Nobody is teaching them the proper things to know anymore, and they're going around thinking Oral and Anal sex isn't actually sex..... and now the STD's are spiking considderably.... esspecially in the US from a few reports I have come across.

Avoiding the realities of life doesn't help them in the slightest.... it only creates ignorant children who make very poor decisions because they don't know any better or were never taught any better.

You claimed that each generation is subjected to more shock and awe over the last generation..... and to a degree I can agree, but I also disagree as well. Think of all the things our grand parents and parents grew up experiencing during the great wars as children.

Think about what it must have been like for children in Europe during WWII with dead and rotting soldiers and civilians scattered through ruined cities and towns.

What about the drug crazes of the 60's?

How about the Victorian era?

Public Witch Burnings and Guillotines?

I agree that more graphical content is being shown through our medias then ever before.... but when it comes to the actual public displays that used to pass through our societies over the decades/centuries.... I'd say children are more protected from those things then ever before......

Hince also why many might think they're invencible.... that they can drink and drive better then someone else..... that they won't get an STD from giving a blow job, etc..... they are not exposed to the harsh realities the generations past had to go through.... everything is a computer simulation, a movie, TV show, or something on the news in another country..... they don't have a direct connection to loss and consequence and to me, what they did above by faking the deaths of fellow students, is exactly what the doctor ordered.

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
The big problem that I see is when the school comes into your class room to inform you that Sam got drunk and hit an approach with his truck the night before. He was thrown clear out of his vehicle, and was found dead in a field hundreds of meters away.

The class sits and silently stares at the administrator, because you know darn well these programs run all across the US.

The only problem is, it's not the program, and none of the kids are buying it. No one's letting the gravity of the reality that their friend is dead sink in, because they're used to being lied to about these things.