Man jumps from plane with no parachute

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Man jumps from plane with no parachute, dies

Duanesburg, N.Y. (AP) --

A 29-year-old man leaped out of a plane at 10,000 feet with a camera but no parachute Saturday. His body was found next to a house with a damaged roof, police said.
Sloan Carafello of Schenectady, who was observing on the flight, followed an instructor, student and videographer out the door, wearing no skydiving gear, officials said.
Police said they did not suspect foul play but would not elaborate.
Robert Rawlins, pilot and owner of the Duanesburg Skydiving Club, said he was flying the single-engine plane and had begun to close the door when Carafello jumped.
His body was found next to a house west of Albany.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I heard a bit more about this on the news over the weekend.... they claimed he was only supposed to be filming the whole thing from within the airplane, was not supposed to jump, which is why he had no cute.

So either the guy had a very bad attention span, or he was deaf.

I bet he got a great shot of himself smacking into the house.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Oh my gawd. That poor man. I can just see exactly what happened... I call it muscle memory, but I'm sure that's not the right term in this case... the tendency for our brains and bodies to grab the most recent memory file and apply it to our situation, even if it doesn't apply at that moment.

We were just discussing it the other day, how it's supposedly even changed the way that police training is performed, due to instances where seemingly innocent training practices (running through a course and disarming a 'suspect', then handing the gun back to them to start over again), have resulted in major whoopses in real life scenarios when officers kick into autopilot (running after a real suspect, disarming him, only to hand the gun back once it's all said and done).

If you're someone who is used to jumping out of that plane, and you're busy concentrating on filming, your body and subconscious could easily take over the tasks it thinks you're not paying enough attention to, and perform them for you.

The poor pilot and other jumpers... what a sickening feeling that would be.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Back in the sixties when we still had an Airborne Division, the RCAF were involved in a NATO exercise with our Airborne division. During the operation, one of the Airborne guys had his main chute fail on what was a fairly low drop. He had to get rid of the main chute and deploy his auxiliary chute. He just barely got the auxiliary chute open and had enough height for about two swings before he hit the ground. Fortunately, he only broke a leg

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I can't even comment on it intelligently, I can only visualize 'him' falling and hitting the
ground, it makes me feel. well, I can't even describe 'that'.:-(