Iraq War hero has VC tattooed on his back

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
British soldier, Johnson Beharry, was awarded a Victoria Cross on 27th April 2005 by the Queen. He was given the awarded after putting his own life in danger to rescue 30 colleagues in two ambushes in Iraq.

Now he has a giant tattoo of the VC on his back...

Pain ... Beharry got tattoo in five sittings

Tattoo agony worse than being blown up

By VIRGINIA WHEELER
The Sun
5th June 2008

WAR hero Johnson Beharry had his Victoria Cross tattooed on his back – and says it hurt more than being blown up.

The brave driver, 28, was awarded Britain’s top military gong after saving 30 comrades’ lives in two ambushes.

He suffered horrific head injuries in a blast inches from his face – but said the five visits to his local tattooist were WORSE.

Lance Corporal Beharry said: “Having this tattoo done was the worst pain I have experienced in my life. I suffered more for this than being in the blast.

Hero ... with VC

“I just had to grit my teeth and think of the British Army.”

L/Cpl Beharry is the first living soldier to get the VC in 40 years. He says he got the tattoo so he “never has to take it off”.

As the design was finished yesterday after six months of sessions, the Grenada-born soldier said: “At last I feel the medal is part of me.”

Tattooist David Groves, 28, of High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, said: “It was a dream job for me.”

Beharry was awarded the VC in March 2005 – ten months after a rocket-propelled grenade blast.

It sent bone splinters into his brain and his eyes filled with blood – but he still drove eight comrades from the First Battalion, Princess of Wales’ Royal Regiment to safety.

A month earlier Beharry braved bullets to drive troops out of another ambush in Al-Amarah, Iraq

thesun.co.uk