Weeping fans and cheering crowds: People's Prince Harry treated like a star in Wales

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Prince Harry was met by thousands of admirers, especially girls, yesterday as he visited Wales.

The younger son of the Prince of Wales, Harry was met by a crowd reminiscent of the ones that greeted The Beatles at the height of Beatlemania in the late 1960s with girls weeping and crying.

Within the UK, it is Wales where the Royals are the most popular.

Harry was visiting Cardiff, the British principality's largest city, to meet workers of a local charity which has links with Lesotho, the tiny African kingdom where the Prince often goes to meet Aids victims...

Weeping fans and cheering crowds: People's Prince Harry treated like a star on a trip to Wales

By Rebecca English
05th June 2008
Daily Mail

It felt like the Beatles were back in town.

Hundreds of hysterical girls strained against crash barriers and burst into tears at the sight of their hero.

In fact the pop star-style welcome was for of Prince Harry, out and about on a rare day of official engagements.

Arriving in Cardiff yesterday morning, the 23-year-old royal looked taken aback as he stepped from his official car, blushing heavily as he heard his name being screamed over and over again.

The People's Prince: Harry holds a baby during his visit to Cardiff

But he gamely waded in, posing for mobile phone photographs, shaking hands and even giving a couple of breathless star-struck teenagers a quick hug.

As he chatted with flag-waving schoolchildren at Cathays High School, 12-year-old Hollie White, 12, from nearby Gabalfa, burst into tears with emotion. 'I was just so excited to see him,' she sobbed. 'I want to see the Queen and Simon Cowell next.'

The third in line to the throne also shared a good-natured joke with fellow red-head Matthew Taylor, 12, laughing: 'Hey, gingers love gingers.'

Harry chose to visit the school because it is twined with Molapo High in Lesotho, a tiny poverty-stricken African kingdom he supports through his charity, 'Sentebale'.

The prince set up the organisation - whose name means Forget Me Not - in his late mother's memory two years ago after being moved by the plight of the country's Aids orphans and chatted knowledgeably with school staff who have visited the stricken country about the problems it faces.

Head teacher Rod Phillips said: 'I was delighted that Harry took the opportunity to meet so many children individually. He seemed very relaxed and confident with them.'

Enlarge
Enlarge
Harry's poses proved a huge hit with the crowd

Afterwards he drove over to the University Hospital of Wales to meet workers from Dolen Cymru, a local charity which also promotes links with the people of Lesotho, of which he is patron.

Here the scenes were equally enthusiastic and while he has never shown any intention of settling down before, the party-loving Prince looked decidedly broody as he took an impromptu walkabout.

After being handed adorable five-month-old Lexi Hailstone, who suffers from a rare chromosomal disorder and has battled meningitis, the 23-year-old cooed: 'Isn't she sweet', before cheekily holding her up to the photographers and joking: 'It's not mine! then adding: 'It's a girl'.

Long-term girlfriend Chelsy Davy wasn't on hand to witness the scene - but perhaps that was no bad thing.

During the morning, Harry couldn't pass a child without bending down to get a closer look, which might have worried the 22-year-old student.

Afterwards baby Lexi's mother Natasha Martin, 19, praised the prince, saying:'He was really lovely, very down to earth. I asked if he wanted a picture and he said, 'Do you want me to hold her?

Like mother, like son: Princess Diana holds a baby in Angola, in a scene which has striking similarities to Harry's visit to Wales

'He seemed worried she was going to start to cry but he was a natural. He looked like he didn't want to give her back."

Harry also joked with a couple of nurses who were carrying a glossy magazine with a picture of his brother, William, on the front posing in his naval uniform. 'Yeah. we have really been ribbing him about that at home,' he laughed.

The prince's Welsh 'away-day' was only the second full day of public engagements that he has ever carried out and also saw him make his first official public speech.

According to royal sources, the prince, who is a who is a Lieutenant in the Blues and Royals, is said to be 'nervous but excited' about his appearance at the 3rd International Conference for organisations supporting development in Lesotho at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff.

One pupil screamed with excitement when she met the Prince ...

... while Holly White burst into tears

Sarah Jones of Dolen Cymru said: 'We are really touched and honoured that Harry wanted to become involved. He is so passionate about Lesotho.'

Later this summer Harry will travel to Lesotho with a team of soldiers from his Blues and Royals regiment on an official deployment to work for his Aids charity. The trip is being funded by the tax payer and by sponsorship from car firm Land Rover,
Harry and his team plan to build care facilities for local children and work on improving local infrastructures.

Harry set up his charity 'Sentebale' - which means Forget Me Not - in his late mother's memory two years ago after being moved by the plight of the country's Aids orphans.

The Prince's links with Lesotho go back to 2004 when he spent several weeks there doing voluntary work during his gap year between school and the Army.

Thrilled: Five-month-old baby Lexi, seen here with mother Natasha Martin, was held by Prince Harry during his visit

dailymail.co.uk

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Prince Harry was met by thousands of admirers, especially girls, yesterday as he visited Wales.

The younger son of the Prince of Wales, Harry was met by a crowd reminiscent of the ones that greeted The Beatles at the height of Beatlemania in the late 1960s with girls weeping and crying.

Within the UK, it is Wales where the Royals are the most popular.

Harry was visiting Cardiff, the British principality's largest city, to meet workers of a local charity which has links with Lesotho, the tiny African kingdom where the Prince often goes to meet Aids victims...

Weeping fans and cheering crowds: People's Prince Harry treated like a star on a trip to Wales

By Rebecca English
05th June 2008
Daily Mail

It felt like the Beatles were back in town.

Hundreds of hysterical girls strained against crash barriers and burst into tears at the sight of their hero.

In fact the pop star-style welcome was for of Prince Harry, out and about on a rare day of official engagements.

Arriving in Cardiff yesterday morning, the 23-year-old royal looked taken aback as he stepped from his official car, blushing heavily as he heard his name being screamed over and over again.

The People's Prince: Harry holds a baby during his visit to Cardiff

But he gamely waded in, posing for mobile phone photographs, shaking hands and even giving a couple of breathless star-struck teenagers a quick hug.

As he chatted with flag-waving schoolchildren at Cathays High School, 12-year-old Hollie White, 12, from nearby Gabalfa, burst into tears with emotion. 'I was just so excited to see him,' she sobbed. 'I want to see the Queen and Simon Cowell next.'

The third in line to the throne also shared a good-natured joke with fellow red-head Matthew Taylor, 12, laughing: 'Hey, gingers love gingers.'

Harry chose to visit the school because it is twined with Molapo High in Lesotho, a tiny poverty-stricken African kingdom he supports through his charity, 'Sentebale'.

The prince set up the organisation - whose name means Forget Me Not - in his late mother's memory two years ago after being moved by the plight of the country's Aids orphans and chatted knowledgeably with school staff who have visited the stricken country about the problems it faces.

Head teacher Rod Phillips said: 'I was delighted that Harry took the opportunity to meet so many children individually. He seemed very relaxed and confident with them.'

Enlarge
Enlarge
Harry's poses proved a huge hit with the crowd

Afterwards he drove over to the University Hospital of Wales to meet workers from Dolen Cymru, a local charity which also promotes links with the people of Lesotho, of which he is patron.

Here the scenes were equally enthusiastic and while he has never shown any intention of settling down before, the party-loving Prince looked decidedly broody as he took an impromptu walkabout.

After being handed adorable five-month-old Lexi Hailstone, who suffers from a rare chromosomal disorder and has battled meningitis, the 23-year-old cooed: 'Isn't she sweet', before cheekily holding her up to the photographers and joking: 'It's not mine! then adding: 'It's a girl'.

Long-term girlfriend Chelsy Davy wasn't on hand to witness the scene - but perhaps that was no bad thing.

During the morning, Harry couldn't pass a child without bending down to get a closer look, which might have worried the 22-year-old student.

Afterwards baby Lexi's mother Natasha Martin, 19, praised the prince, saying:'He was really lovely, very down to earth. I asked if he wanted a picture and he said, 'Do you want me to hold her?

Like mother, like son: Princess Diana holds a baby in Angola, in a scene which has striking similarities to Harry's visit to Wales

'He seemed worried she was going to start to cry but he was a natural. He looked like he didn't want to give her back."

Harry also joked with a couple of nurses who were carrying a glossy magazine with a picture of his brother, William, on the front posing in his naval uniform. 'Yeah. we have really been ribbing him about that at home,' he laughed.

The prince's Welsh 'away-day' was only the second full day of public engagements that he has ever carried out and also saw him make his first official public speech.

According to royal sources, the prince, who is a who is a Lieutenant in the Blues and Royals, is said to be 'nervous but excited' about his appearance at the 3rd International Conference for organisations supporting development in Lesotho at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff.

One pupil screamed with excitement when she met the Prince ...

... while Holly White burst into tears

Sarah Jones of Dolen Cymru said: 'We are really touched and honoured that Harry wanted to become involved. He is so passionate about Lesotho.'

Later this summer Harry will travel to Lesotho with a team of soldiers from his Blues and Royals regiment on an official deployment to work for his Aids charity. The trip is being funded by the tax payer and by sponsorship from car firm Land Rover,
Harry and his team plan to build care facilities for local children and work on improving local infrastructures.

Harry set up his charity 'Sentebale' - which means Forget Me Not - in his late mother's memory two years ago after being moved by the plight of the country's Aids orphans.

The Prince's links with Lesotho go back to 2004 when he spent several weeks there doing voluntary work during his gap year between school and the Army.

Thrilled: Five-month-old baby Lexi, seen here with mother Natasha Martin, was held by Prince Harry during his visit

dailymail.co.uk
Has everyone forgotten about his bro?
:?::?::?: