Iran 'not seeking' nuclear arms

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7432916.stm

Iran's supreme leader has insisted it will continue its nuclear activities for civilian purposes only and will not manufacture nuclear weapons.

"No wise nation would be interested in making a nuclear weapon today. They are against rational thought," said Ayatollah Ali Khamenei in a speech.

The comments come a day after the UN's atomic watchdog urged from Iran "full disclosure" about its atomic work.
Its report said alleged research into warheads was "of serious concern".

Some western powers accuse Iran of seeking to develop nuclear arms.

Iran has always denied such charges but has refused to suspend some nuclear work which could have military application, prompting three rounds of sanctions imposed by the UN.

"[Iran] is after peacefully using nuclear energy for the purposes of daily life and it will follow this path," Mr Khamenei said in the speech to mark the 19th anniversary of the death of the leader of the Islamic revolution, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini.

"Contrary to what the enemy wishes, it will reach it [nuclear energy] with full strength," he added.

The speech also poured criticism on the US administration, saying President George W Bush and his advisers acted like "the mentally ill".

"Sometimes they threaten, sometimes they order assassinations... and sometimes they ask for help - it's like mad people staggering to and fro," he said.

HA HA HA HA HA.... oh geez.... *wipes tear from eye*.... who says they don't have a sense of humor? lmao.....

European Union foreign policy chief Javier Solana is planning to travel to Tehran soon to submit a new package of incentives for Iran to stop its most sensitive nuclear work.

Iran has said its nuclear activities, including uranium enrichment, is sanctioned under the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty of which it is a signatory.

International Atomic Energy Agency is currently holding a week-long board of directors meeting.
On Monday the agency announced that Syria was to allow its inspectors to visit the country to investigate allegations that it was building a nuclear reactor.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
An elitist monopoly on technology is incompatible with a worldwide free market economic system. It's just a fact.

The Americans know this which makes their complaints against Iran ludicrous. It is also why the Americans have single handedly kept the world under nuclear threat and proliferated these terrible weapons.

No, it's very simple: The USA wants hegemony in the ME and Iran threatens that. It's called imperialism.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
An elitist monopoly on technology is incompatible with a worldwide free market economic system. It's just a fact.

The Americans know this which makes their complaints against Iran ludicrous. It is also why the Americans have single handedly kept the world under nuclear threat and proliferated these terrible weapons.

No, it's very simple: The USA wants hegemony in the ME and Iran threatens that. It's called imperialism.

It's sorta funny that they fought so hard to get away from imperialism, just so they could later on take their own shot at it.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
It's sorta funny that they fought so hard to get away from imperialism, just so they could later on take their own shot at it.

I agree. I think there is a misperception about imperialism in North America. We don't seem to understand just how spurred on imperialism was by economic need and how it was morally justifiable (to the imperialists anyway). The impression I get is that people think imperialism was motivated by some diabolical desire to take over the world but in reality it was motivated by bubble economics which is very easily masked behind good intentions.