U.S. Senate votes to begin global warming debate

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...0603/senate_warming_080602/20080603?hub=World

WASHINGTON -- The Senate began what is expected to be a weeklong, contentious debate Monday over legislation to combat global warming by mandatory reductions in carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases.

Senators voted 74-14 to proceed to the bill, but immediately it became clear Republican opponents were not going to make it easy. A request by Democrats to begin considering substantive changes in the bill was blocked by GOP opponents until Wednesday at the earliest.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada promised a thorough debate that will probably last through the week, if not longer. He said it's clear that "global warming is real" and Congress must act.

But supporters of the bill acknowledged it will be difficult -- perhaps impossible -- to overcome a certain GOP filibuster threat against the legislation, meaning congressional action on global warming will probably be decided in the next Congress and by the next president.

Many of the GOP senators who voted to debate the issue have said they are opposed to the bill.

The Senate measure, which has wide Democratic and some Republican support, would cap U.S. emissions of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases, cutting them by 18 percent by 2020 and by two-thirds by mid-century. It would specifically target refineries, power plants, factories and transportation for 70 percent reductions and make emissions allowances available to be traded in an open market.

Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., a chief architect of the 500-page bill, said at a news conference the urgency of taking action against climate change cannot be overstated, declaring, "It's about our children, about their children, and about the planet we've inherited."

Emotional Dribble....

Democratic leaders were ready to spend the week, and possibly more, on the legislation. But the tone of the debate emerged in the opening hours.

Republican leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky called it "a giant tax on virtually every aspect of the economy," and accused Democrats of being "laughably out of touch" in taking up the bill when the country is reeling from $4 a gallon gasoline and other high energy costs.

President Bush said at a White House event that the measure amounted to "a huge spending bill fueled by tax increases" and that it "would impose roughly $6 trillion in new costs on the American economy."

White House spokeswoman Dana Perino said Bush would veto the bill as it stands, but said it seems unlikely the legislation will clear the Senate anyway.

The White House maintained the carbon limits would "impose a huge new tax" while demanding "drastic emission cuts that have no chance of being realized and have every chance of hurting our economy."

The bill would raise gasoline taxes by 53 cents a gallon by 2030, said the White House statement, a position ridiculed by the bill's sponsors. "People would be thrilled to have gas prices rise only 2 cents a year," declared Sen. Joe Lieberman, a Connecticut independent and co-sponsor of the legislation.

Alluding to carbon-intensive industries, such as most utility companies, Lieberman acknowledged "real resistance from people who don't want to change" and fear the shift away from fossil fuels. Getting 60 votes to overcome a filibuster is "going to be hard," he said.

Boxer said it was "misinformation and an untruth" to suggest that the climate legislation would impose new taxes or raise gasoline prices. The bill proposes using proceeds from the sale of carbon emission allowances to funnel $800 billion in tax relief, over 40 years, to people facing higher energy costs, she said.

Sen. John Warner, R-Va., whose cosponsorship of the bill has been credited with bringing a scattering of GOP senators on board, also rejected the administration's prediction of economic chaos. "The president has the stick to bring back the throttle" and set new emission timetables if there are serious economic problems, he argued.

"The United States has to lead," Warner said at a press conference.

How can you lead when other countries are already way ahead of you? :-?

The bill's sponsors sought to blunt criticism over costs by including a pollution allowance trading system. The emissions allowances were projected to generate $6.7 trillion in revenue over 40 years.

The money would be used to ease the transition away from fossil fuels by spurring alternative energy technologies such as wind, solar and carbon-free nuclear power.

Environmentalists said the cost of inaction on global warming cannot be ignored.

"These costs (of doing nothing) dwarf the kind of costs that people are talking about from taking serious initiatives to do something about climate change," said Frank Ackerman, a Tufts University economist and co-author of a recent report on the potential economic impacts of global warming. He predicted huge annual economic costs by the end of this century from climate change, including water shortages in the West, rising sea level, increasingly intense hurricanes and even higher energy costs.

Blah blah blah.... cry me a friggin over flowing river from melting glaciers..... Didn't the GW community just push back Global Warming 15 more years because of the current cooling our planet is going under?

Switching over to "greener" fuels and energies is of course a good thing and I support it.... but using "Global Warming" as the excuse only deflates the cause..... because it's a load of green horse sh*t.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Blah blah blah.... cry me a friggin over flowing river from melting glaciers..... Didn't the GW community just push back Global Warming 15 more years because of the current cooling our planet is going under?

No, one study was released with a regional model that suggested some areas are predicted to be cooler for the next 15 years, and the flurry of "see I told you so" erupted on the net, including yourself. That's freaking hilarious. You all can't trust the archives of global models that have passed verification, but they can trust one single regional model that doesn't even pass it's hindcast verification. Their method produced two cooling forecasts during that period, that we know are false.

The funny thing about this is, we'll know whether Keenlyside et. al were right within a few years. Their paper made this claim: the decade for 2000-2010 will be lower or equal to the 1994-2004 decade. In order for that to be true, the next three years will have to be significantly cooler than the previous 7. Right now we're coming out of a strong La Nina and a solar minima, do you really think it's going to get colder? I don't. Not without one major volcanic eruption, in which case their model is no longer an accurate projection, lol.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
This is awesome news! Not only Earth and Mars are heating up but also Jupiter! We have got to do something about our carbon emissions people; it's messing up the entire solar system! I know there is going to be global cooling for the next 15 years or so but we still have to think about our environmental impact on the other planets.

If you don't care about yourselves think about the aliens!

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
We hope; the sun is still blank. (see avatar)

Yup, and that's not even unusual. There's nearly a 30% chance that solar cycles will be longer than 11 years. That's plainly evident in the sunspot data from the last 300 years.

So the question is, why do you have any reason to believe it's suddenly going to stop doing what it has for three centuries now?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
No, one study was released with a regional model that suggested some areas are predicted to be cooler for the next 15 years, and the flurry of "see I told you so" erupted on the net, including yourself.

Yup... I sure did didn't I? And I still stand by it.

That's freaking hilarious. You all can't trust the archives of global models that have passed verification,

What friggin verification? Wait until the date passes and see if they were right? Yeah good verification.... In three years I predict monkies will mutate and become more intelligent then us, build their own rocket ships, say piss off to all of us and fly to Mars to live under their newly developed atmosphere..... but that won't be verified until it happens I guess.

but they can trust one single regional model that doesn't even pass it's hindcast verification. Their method produced two cooling forecasts during that period, that we know are false.

Oh yes, since Hindcasting is so 100% accurate.... Whether or not something passes a Hindcast is irrelevent, since a Hindcast is not absolute either.

Yeah great.... whoopty-do.... so with that logic, if their "Models" were wrong... how the hell can we trust the main GW model is correct? In fact... how the hell are any of us supposed to believe anything they tell us when they seem to not know what they're doing either?

The funny thing about this is, we'll know whether Keenlyside et. al were right within a few years. Their paper made this claim: the decade for 2000-2010 will be lower or equal to the 1994-2004 decade. In order for that to be true, the next three years will have to be significantly cooler than the previous 7. Right now we're coming out of a strong La Nina and a solar minima, do you really think it's going to get colder? I don't. Not without one major volcanic eruption, in which case their model is no longer an accurate projection, lol.

Oh and you don't think a large volcanic eruption won't happen anytime soon? Plenty of massive Earthquakes in the last number of years.... good opportunity for destabalizing some volcanos and then some.

Plus you didn't put into account Hurricanes.... just like everybody else seems to not bother to do.

El Nino/La Nina? Loads of crap invented up right around the same time the global warming concept was made up..... which are also "THEORIES!" ~ They are observations of a small portion of the overall picture of tempratures and such which can explain a few things.... if they predict it right, but is completely useless for a 100% accurate future prediction of what's coming our way.

Once again, weathermen/woman can't frigging get a 5 day forecast right.... using practically the same technology.... how the hell can you put all your trust into some prediction 50 or 100 years away from today?

If you got a brain, you would realise you can't do that, because there are way way too many factors in between then and now that can throw the whole thing out the window.

As I have said countless times before, I am for the change over from fossil fuels to more renewable energy, and to reduce pollution..... but I do not believe in this tripe of Global Warming, because of their already failed examples in the past.

If you want to do some good for the environment, sure, all the power to you.... but the GQ theory only hurts the cause.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
quoting Praxius

Once again, weathermen/woman can't frigging get a 5 day forecast right.... using practically the same technology.... how the hell can you put all your trust into some prediction 50 or 100 years away from today?

If you got a brain, you would realise you can't do that, because there are way way too many factors in between then and now that can throw the whole thing out the window.
Like a lot of global warming deniers, you are confusing climate with weather. Btw, the technology is quite different.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Weather is the mix of events that happen each day in our atmosphere including temperature, rainfall and humidity. Weather is not the same everywhere. Perhaps it is hot, dry and sunny today where you live, but in other parts of the world it is cloudy, raining or even snowing. Everyday, weather events are recorded and predicted by meteorologists worldwide.

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Climate in your place on the globe controls the weather where you live. Climate is the average weather pattern in a place over many years. So, the climate of Antarctica is quite different than the climate of a tropical island. Hot summer days are quite typical of climates in many regions of the world, even without the affects of global warming.[/FONT]

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
"Whether or not Jupiter's climate has changed due to a predicted warming, the cloud activity over the last two and a half years shows dramatically that something unusual has happened."

Mars, too, is being hit by rapid climate change and it is happening so fast that the red planet could lose its southern ice cap, according to scientists.

Scientists from NASA say that Mars has warmed by about 0.5C since the 1970s. This is similar to the warming experienced on Earth over approximately the same period."
- source

You know... common' people, really! It's getting embarrassing to be human. I'm worried the monkeys are going to start pointing and laughing at us.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
This is awesome news! Not only Earth and Mars are heating up but also Jupiter! We have got to do something about our carbon emissions people; it's messing up the entire solar system! I know there is going to be global cooling for the next 15 years or so but we still have to think about our environmental impact on the other planets.

If you don't care about yourselves think about the aliens!

lol... true... logically if all the planets are warming up collectively, then that would lead to the concept that perhaps it's not pollution causing the problem and even if we removed all the pollution in the world (completely impossible, since many forms of pollution are also natural) it still won't stop our warming.... so it's all still a waste of time.

Of course this whole debate of global warming (whichever side you take on the subject) reminds me a lot like the vaccine debates, where if you're not on the GW wagon, then you're a part of the problem and it's your fault everybody suffers..... rrrrrrriiiigght....

oh well. survival of the fittest... if my crushing of styrofoam cups gives you cancer, thems the breaks. :p

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Like a lot of global warming deniers, you are confusing climate with weather. Btw, the technology is quite different.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Weather is the mix of events that happen each day in our atmosphere including temperature, rainfall and humidity. Weather is not the same everywhere. Perhaps it is hot, dry and sunny today where you live, but in other parts of the world it is cloudy, raining or even snowing. Everyday, weather events are recorded and predicted by meteorologists worldwide.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Climate in your place on the globe controls the weather where you live. Climate is the average weather pattern in a place over many years. So, the climate of Antarctica is quite different than the climate of a tropical island. Hot summer days are quite typical of climates in many regions of the world, even without the affects of global warming.[/FONT]

Indeed, I am aware of all this, but you just connected the two as being one in the same, as climate dictates the weather..... therefore if one could accurately determine the Climate, then they should also be able to determine the weather, and since the weather predictions overall suck high horses, one could determine that the predictions on climate are far less accurate.

And although these brain-wigs claim they are following previous records and studies to come to their conclusions of Global Warming, through the large amount of old/new details they provided with their assumptions, they have missed out on some very key factors which can sway the whole thing one way or another.... which is why I don't believe a lick of what they say, because they don't know wtf they're going on about..... and I have explained the main factors they have missed, or avoided (take your pick) countless times in these forums and elsewhere.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Yup... I sure did didn't I? And I still stand by it.

At least you'll actually make predictions, a rarity amongst the "skeptics."

What friggin verification? Wait until the date passes and see if they were right? Yeah good verification.... In three years I predict monkies will mutate and become more intelligent then us, build their own rocket ships, say piss off to all of us and fly to Mars to live under their newly developed atmosphere..... but that won't be verified until it happens I guess.
Verification would be one of the steps that test how accurate, or how much skill the model has. Suppose I take the surface temperature anomalies from January through to June, and find that the temperature is increasing at a linear rate of 0.2 °C per month. I could model that by December 31, it should be 2.4°C warmer than January 1st was of the same year. The model needs a test to ensure it is an accurate simulation of reality, which it obviously isn't.

So if I plan to use a regional model to predict future temperatures, it stands to reason that if I input the starting conditions, and the model is a good simulation, that it should statistically be similar to the observed data following the beginning of the model run.

This model, which uses decadal means, gets two decades wrong out of four in the verification stage. Do you still trust how accurately it can predict future temperatures? I don't. You might as well flip a coin.

Oh yes, since Hindcasting is so 100% accurate.... Whether or not something passes a Hindcast is irrelevent, since a Hindcast is not absolute either.
Hindcast is like I said earlier. If you start with known conditions in 1970, your model should be able to reproduce the years up to right now. If it can't do that, within statistical limits, well then it's not a very useful model for making predictions.

Yeah great.... whoopty-do.... so with that logic, if their "Models" were wrong... how the hell can we trust the main GW model is correct? In fact... how the hell are any of us supposed to believe anything they tell us when they seem to not know what they're doing either?
You could start by actually reading the papers, rather than your favourite source of news and views.

Oh and you don't think a large volcanic eruption won't happen anytime soon? Plenty of massive Earthquakes in the last number of years.... good opportunity for destabalizing some volcanos and then some.
I never said that, I said it would make the model invalid, because the conditions it supposes exist in the future do not. If it did suppose that a volcano could erupt, then it would make different scenarios allowing for that.

Now I refer you to James Hansen, who did make a very good model, with three scenarios. These scenarios were for projected greenhouse emission scenarios(increasing exponential growth, reduced linear growth, and rapid reductions) The scenario that was chosen as most likely Scenario B, has performed very well, within the bounds of statistics, which is what a simulation has to deal with.

His scenarios even included what the likely effects would be of an eruption. His paper was released in 1988, and in 1991 Mount Pinatubo erupted, the second largest eruption of the 20th century. His model with Scenario B gave this result for the temperature change for the period 1984-2006: 0.24 +/- 0.06°C/decade, and the trends in the NASA observational databases are : 0.24 +/- 0.07 °C/decade and 0.21 +/-0.06°C/decade. Pretty freaking close ehh?

http://pubs.giss.nasa.gov/docs/1988/1988_Hansen_etal.pdf

Plus you didn't put into account Hurricanes.... just like everybody else seems to not bother to do.
That makes no sense, why would I include hurricanes? How are hurricanes going to help make it colder?

El Nino/La Nina? Loads of crap invented up right around the same time the global warming concept was made up..... which are also "THEORIES!" ~ They are observations of a small portion of the overall picture of tempratures and such which can explain a few things.... if they predict it right, but is completely useless for a 100% accurate future prediction of what's coming our way.
Bingo, observations. You need observations to validate theories. You think El Nino, and La Nina are made up? They are measured with satelites. The crackpot claim that global warming stopped in 1998 coincides with a very large El Nino. There are even tell tale signs, just like there are tell tale signs that solar cycles are changing.

I suggest, since you don't seem to have a very good grasp of what a scientific theory is, that you read this thread http://forums.canadiancontent.net/science-environment/72493

Because weather events are chaotic and very complex. Climate is a pattern of weather over thirty years and more, where trends can be measured.

Coincidentally, I don't have to put all my trust in model predictions. There's something called observations, and they produce the tell tale signs of greenhouse radiation physics. The fact that the sratosphere is cooling means two things: the Sun is not the driver of our current warming trend(otherwise the stratosphere would be warming), and greenhouse gases are causing it(a side effect of greenhouse gases in the troposphere is they cool the stratosphere).
http://www.atmosphere.mpg.de/enid/20c.html

Sorry, didn't realize I was talking to someone of such stellar brain power. You humble me with your keen observations. Why don't you list some of those factors that you feel would invalidate the model, oh ye with so much grey matter.

As I have said countless times before, I am for the change over from fossil fuels to more renewable energy, and to reduce pollution..... but I do not believe in this tripe of Global Warming, because of their already failed examples in the past.
Strange bedfellows. Do you know where most of this crap you and others here repeat comes from? Industry hacks. The fossil fueled businesses also fight against stronger air quality legislation, like mercury for instance. They use the same tactics in propaganda that they do for climate legislation. It's a well known formula going back to the tobacco days. Whatever, believe what you will. Help them keep their profits while externalizing costs if you like. In any event, they're on the losing team anyways, though they've done a marvelous job of confusing people.

If you want to do some good for the environment, sure, all the power to you.... but the GQ theory only hurts the cause.
I don't read that magazine. I prefer Maxim.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
lol... true... logically if all the planets are warming up collectively, then that would lead to the concept that perhaps it's not pollution causing the problem and even if we removed all the pollution in the world (completely impossible, since many forms of pollution are also natural) it still won't stop our warming.... so it's all still a waste of time.

Of course this whole debate of global warming (whichever side you take on the subject) reminds me a lot like the vaccine debates, where if you're not on the GW wagon, then you're a part of the problem and it's your fault everybody suffers..... rrrrrrriiiigght....

oh well. survival of the fittest... if my crushing of styrofoam cups gives you cancer, thems the breaks. :p

You nailed it!

In a failed state there is no room for descent from common belief. Either you agree or your the problem.

I'm of the opinion that the whole GW debate is being spurred on by a few elites desire to create a new economic bubble. Where once inflation was funneled into housing the hope is that now it can be funneled into green technology.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
That makes no sense, why would I include hurricanes? How are hurricanes going to help make it colder?

^ I'll just quickly pick this out and address the rest later when I have more time. Although I explained this countless times in numerous GW and Environmental threads, I'll do it once more:

1st.... Question: Why do the Global Warming Promoters claim that with warmer climates and oceans the bigger and more powerful hurricanes become?

Answer:

FFS.... sorry to say, just being honest, but the Search Engine on this site blows some very hard chunks.

Crap.... well this is the cloest thing I can find in a rush, so enjoy:

Hurricanes may help cool climate - June 1, 2007
http://news.mongabay.com/2007/0601-hurricanes.html

Tropical cyclones and hurricanes play an important role in the ocean circulation patterns that transport heat and maintain the climate of North America and Europe, report researchers from Purdue University.
"It was thought that hurricanes occurred over too short of a time period and over too small of an area to affect the global system," said Matthew Huber, the Purdue University professor of earth and atmospheric sciences who led the research group. "This research provides evidence that hurricanes play an important role and may be one of the missing pieces in the climate modeling puzzle."

The research also suggests that hurricanes cool the tropics, forming in response to higher temperatures.

"Warm water fuels hurricanes, which have been shown to leave cold water in their wake," said Huber.

A news release from Purdue University follows.

This map illustrates the average cyclone-induced surface cooling of the upper ocean. Matthew Huber, a Purdue professor of earth and atmospheric sciences, and Ryan Sriver, a Purdue graduate student, found evidence that tropical cyclones play an important role in ocean circulation that transports heat and maintains the climate of North America and Europe. Their research suggests that tropical cyclones and hurricanes cool the tropics and act as a thermostat for the area. (Purdue graphic/Huber laboratory)

Video capture from a NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center Scientific Visualization Studio movie of the 2005 Atlantic storm tracks and sea surface temperature:

Tropical Cyclones Have Climate-control Role
Purdue University

Purdue University researchers have found evidence that tropical cyclones and hurricanes play an important role in the ocean circulation patterns that transport heat and maintain the climate of North America and Europe.

These findings support a 2001 theory by Kerry Emanuel, a professor of atmospheric science at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and suggest that there is an additional factor to be included in climate models that may change predictions of future climate scenarios.

"It was thought that hurricanes occurred over too short of a time period and over too small of an area to affect the global system," said Matthew Huber, the Purdue University professor of earth and atmospheric sciences who led the research group. "This research provides evidence that hurricanes play an important role and may be one of the missing pieces in the climate modeling puzzle."

The research also showed that hurricanes cool the tropics, forming in response to higher temperatures and acting as a thermostat for the area, Huber said.

"Warm water fuels hurricanes, which have been shown to leave cold water in their wake," said Huber, who also is a member of the Purdue Climate Change Research Center at Discovery Park.

"I like to say the good news is that hurricanes function like a thermostat for the tropics, and the bad news is that hurricanes function like a thermostat for the tropics. The logical conclusion of this finding, taking into account past research into the impact of rising temperatures on cyclone and hurricane intensity, is that as the world and the tropics warm, there will be an increase in the integrated intensity of hurricanes."

Movies such as "The Day After Tomorrow" brought into the spotlight information about the ocean conveyer belt and its impact on climate. The upper part of the conveyer belt travels from the south to the north, passing through the Pacific Ocean and Indian oceans and past warmer latitudes warming the water brought to North America and Europe, Huber said.

In the tropical oceans, this pattern must be reversed; warm, buoyant water must be mixed downward, and cold, dense water must be mixed upward. This process, called vertical mixing, plays an important role in the conveyer belt's circulation. It was known that this mixing occurred, but the cause was not well-understood, said Ryan Sriver, the paper's lead author and a Purdue graduate student.

"Climate models today use what is called 'background mixing' to solve this problem," he said. "They represent the mixing as an average of the total amount that is needed and apply it over these regions consistently. However, we believe this mixing is not consistent; it is not everywhere all of the time. It is sporadic and happens over a small area for a limited amount of time."

In some areas of the world, such as the equator, there are no cyclones, and no mixing occurs.

"If cyclones were added to models in place of the background mixing, there would be zero mixing at the equator," Huber said. "This is very important because it is well-known that to get El Niño right in a climate model, the background mixing at the equator must be greatly reduced. Our data has a beautiful no-mixing zone right where there should be no mixing."

This explains some of the mystery of the observed temperatures from the distant past during a greenhouse climate. The poles were much warmer than today, about 82 degrees Fahrenheit, but the tropics were not much warmer than the present, he said.

"Using the best, most comprehensive models in existence, we could not obtain results that matched this past climate that we know existed," Huber said. "We knew a basic, fundamental process that cooled the tropics was missing from the models."

The results of the study, being published in the May 31 issue of Nature, are consistent with providing all of the mixing necessary to match what is needed in climate models.

"Our results suggest that this is the missing mixing and it is a vital part of ocean circulation," Huber said.

Steven Jayne, an assistant scientist at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution in Massachusetts, said Huber and Sriver present strong evidence for a cyclone-driven heat pump.

"It is remarkable how closely the amount of mixing generated by the cyclones and the location of this mixing matches what appears to be needed to improve climate models," Jayne said. "People suspected these connections, but no one had done the necessary detailed calculations. It means there may be another feedback loop in the climate system, and that is significant."

Huber and Sriver studied the cooling effects of hurricanes from 1981 to the present using the cold wakes that follow a hurricane.

"These cold wakes can be easily observed," Sriver said. "The typical size is about 200 kilometers across and about 1,000 kilometers long, or about as big as the Eastern Seaboard."

The researchers used surface temperature data during the cold wakes to obtain an estimate of the cooling in the tropics due to cyclones and hurricanes. The data analyzed was provided by the National Center for Atmospheric Research, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. The team then examined the process that leads to this cooling and evaluated the ocean water mixing.

"Multiple studies have shown that tropical cyclones are an excellent source of inertial oscillations, or internal waves that cause mixing in the upper layer of the ocean," Huber said. "It is like putting sugar in a cup of coffee. The sweetened coffee is more dense and will form a layer at the bottom of the cup. It needs to be stirred or agitated somehow to bring the sweet layer up to mix with the rest. The same thing is needed to mix ocean water. Dense water hangs out at bottom unless something stirs it up. Cyclones stir it up in addition to other processes."

Tropical cyclones cause waves below the surface of the ocean that break, just like what can be seen on the beach shore. When the waves break, the top layer of water curls into the bottom layer and water of different densities and temperatures mix, Huber said.

"Warm, fresh water is less dense than cold, salty water, so the cold water sinks, and this drives the conveyer belt," Huber said. "However, cold, salty water rises in the Pacific, and there has been no complete explanation for this. Cyclones and hurricanes appear to pump warm water down and bring cold water to the surface. Mixing down buoyant, warm water lessens the density of the cold water and allows it to rise "

The study did not examine deep ocean mixing, but it is reasonable to speculate that warm water pumped down joins the ocean circulation and becomes a part of the upper limb of the conveyer belt where dense water makes it up to the surface, Huber said.

Huber and Sriver plan to incorporate their findings into a climate model for further testing.

"Current predictions are based on tropical ocean mixing remaining constant or decreasing with warmer temps," Huber said. "This evidence suggests the opposite is true, and upper ocean tropical mixing increases with warmer temperatures. This has major implications for oceanography and climate as a new factor that had not been included in previous predictions."

The National Science Foundation and the Purdue Research Foundation funded this research. The Purdue Cyber Center and the Office of Information Technology at Purdue provided computational resources and support.

Question #2:

Notice how there haven't been many major Hurricanes since that last batch around the time of Katrina? That is because those Hurricanes have reduced the overall ocean tempratures due to their sizes.

The cooler it is, the more Hurricanes there are, but they are not powerful.... but the warmer it gets, the more powerful the Hurricanes become, but there are far less in comparison.

Question #3:

Did you notice that it was quite record breaking in tempratures prior to the Katrina era of Hurricanes, and now afterwards, we haven't had too many major hurricanes? In fact, notice how this past winter was much more closer to what we all grew up used to knowing and we went back to record breaking snow falls, rather then record breaking lack of snow?

This very cold winter we just went through is also why I am predicting an above normal hurricane season, however very few will become any major threat in comparison to recent big ones, and we'll be back to pretty much what we've all been used to about 15 years ago.

Of course the above article is from 2007.... I've been following Hurricanes since I was a wee lad.... way back when I believed the Global Warming issue. I was worried in more and worse hurricanes and I decided to look into them.... and this was one major factor the GW Scientists either didn't know or ignored.

I don't ask many people to trust me on many things, but trust me..... Hurricanes play a much more important role in our enviroments then most thing, even though they can also be quite distructive.

Hurricanes are Nature's Air Conditioner.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Added to previous post:

Although Hurricanes and the Ocean Tempratures are one part of the overall spectrum, the entire global climate is connected, and those changes gradually trickle down through the entire planet.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
If you used the search function you probably found some of my threads on hurricane formation. But you haven't really answered my question. Why would I add hurricanes as something which invalidates the model? Are they increasing in number, decreasing in number, would having an unusual year change the system that much? Sure they move the heat around, they're in the water cycle, but that's not changing enough year to year to make a difference to the Earth's heat budget. If a hurricane moves 1 mJ from off the cost of Africa, to off the coast of North America, the system hasn't lost anything, it's just found somewhere else. Nothing wrong or unexpected with that at all.

If a large volcano erupts, the aerosols will alter the heat budget. The climate system will be changed, chemically, kinda like what we're doing, only opposite direction. Those aerosols will bounce back some of the incoming radiation from the sun back into space. That's why some crackpots want to use aerosols to 'balance' the equation so to speak.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
If you used the search function you probably found some of my threads on hurricane formation. But you haven't really answered my question. Why would I add hurricanes as something which invalidates the model?

For the simple fact of making sure the public is getting the right information and not being fearmongered into thinking the world's about to die from Global Warming. If something factual is added into the "model" and it thus changes the overall outcome as explained in the above link I provided, then that would mean that everything everybody is believing now about Global Warming existing, would simply be false, which is what I am claiming.

Are they increasing in number, decreasing in number, would having an unusual year change the system that much?

Nope, because there are no unusual years in this cycle. The enviroment is reacting to action. Like how when we get too hot, we sweat to cool down, when the earth heats up, it produces bigger hurricanes to absorb the heat and thus cool down the planet overall through gradual processes of this method. Hurricanes are no more increasing or decreasing then they have since the Earth and its atmosphere was created.

Sure they move the heat around, they're in the water cycle,

They don't move heat around, they feed off of heat... when something uses something for fuel, it is expended eventually.... just like when we need more food after so long, or we die.... when a hurricane runs out of warm water and air to fuel it, it dies. (Usually when it passes over large land masses and there is no water, or when it goes too far north)

Which means that the existing warmth within our planet is expelled and converted to cool.... not just by the Hurricane using it as feul, but also there is a decent amount thrusted out into space via the eye of the storm. the only way to build that back up is from the Sun's rays and the Earth's core, or as many believe.... pollution. But regardless of how the heat on our planet is kept warm, there is a counter for it to remain cool..... thus, balance.

but that's not changing enough year to year to make a difference to the Earth's heat budget. If a hurricane moves 1 mJ from off the cost of Africa, to off the coast of North America, the system hasn't lost anything, it's just found somewhere else. Nothing wrong or unexpected with that at all.

Except the fact that Hurricanes do not simply "move" the heat around. If that was the case, then I would agree with you.

If a large volcano erupts, the aerosols will alter the heat budget. The climate system will be changed, chemically, kinda like what we're doing, only opposite direction. Those aerosols will bounce back some of the incoming radiation from the sun back into space. That's why some crackpots want to use aerosols to 'balance' the equation so to speak.

Well I can't say I agree with that either. But as crazy as it sounds, you have to look at the planet as a living being, with it's own methods of regulation.

All the reports I've have seen in regards to Global Warming, they talk about the fear of bigger and worse hurricanes coming our way in the future due to the warmer tempratures, which is true to a degree, but they stop short from the total explination of those. Everybody always looks at the bad things hurricanes and tornados have on our civilizations and our lives, but I rarely see anybody looking into their actual benifits, and the above is one of those main benifits of Hurricanes.

Hurricanes can be quite destructive for humans and other wildlife on the planet, but for the Earth itself, they are very nessicary for it's own survival.

I mean when you think about it objectively, the Earth we know know was created through some very harsh environments we'd never survive over eons, and through that time, it has settled and stabalized (To a degree) to what we now know. Every few thousands of years the earth goes through above normal temprature shifts, and then down to well below normal ones..... this has been recorded and studied from Glacier Cores which tracked back thousands of years of events, and apparently during the time the Roman Empire was falling, the Earth was at an even higher temprature then what we are currently experiencing..... and then they came back to normal. Between today and the last big Ice Age, there was also what they called a "Mini Ice Age" that occured.

Everything we are using, consuming, burning, etc. are all derrived from the Earth and its own resources..... resources which the Earth itself during it's creation, burned and spouted up into it's own atmospere...... what we are doing to the earth isn't anything new to the Earth, and the Earth will adjust and adapt at our expense, regardless if we watch what we're doing or not.

It's not denial that drives my opinion, it's not fear that drives my opinion, it's educated assurance of what our planet is actually capable of doing.

The things I believe we should be doing to improve our enviroment from direct effects, such as acid rain and polluted rivers, etc.... is to address each and everyone of those issues on a case by case basis and find alternative solutions to resolving those problems..... when those problems are solved, the bigger ones will follow suit.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
For the simple fact of making sure the public is getting the right information and not being fearmongered into thinking the world's about to die from Global Warming. If something factual is added into the "model" and it thus changes the overall outcome as explained in the above link I provided, then that would mean that everything everybody is believing now about Global Warming existing, would simply be false, which is what I am claiming.

Of course the world isn't going to die. Some people use that line, it's entirely false of course.

Anyways, as I explained already, hurricanes acting as a thermostat(to use your articles terminology) only move the heat somewhere else. It's the laws of thermodynamics. It doesn't change the amount of heat in the system(Earth), it only moves it somewhere else. On a global model that means zilch, because that energy is still in the system. It is something however, that the regional model you quoted as changing the entire climate communities stance should take into account. Because moving heat from one region to another will have a great effect on regional temperatures. That model as far as I know does not take it into account, rather it focuses on the Meridional Overturning Circulation in the Atlantic, which is included in global models. But their approach is flawed from the start, though an interesting approach. They use the seas surface temperatures to estimate the MOC, a warm Atlantic means a strong MOC, and a cool Atlantic means a weak MOC. Here's where they run into problems. If your model has an Atlantic that is too cold, that means the MOC is too weak. So you can nudge temperatures in the model to better 'approximate the MOC conditions. But doing this(heating water) makes it more buoyant, which in turn weakens the MOC, the opposite of what you want your model to do. It's not realistic to use only the sea surface temperatures to approximate the MOC, because you won't get it right. It's no wonder their hindcast couldn't even get the past conditions right. But that didn't stop all the 'skeptics' from saying AHAH! Told you!
:roll:

Nope, because there are no unusual years in this cycle. The enviroment is reacting to action. Like how when we get too hot, we sweat to cool down, when the earth heats up, it produces bigger hurricanes to absorb the heat and thus cool down the planet overall through gradual processes of this method. Hurricanes are no more increasing or decreasing then they have since the Earth and its atmosphere was created.
That's a flaw right from the start. The formation of hurricanes is more than just dependent on sea surface temperatures alone. It also depends on the cells in the Walker circulation. It depends on things like dust blowing in from the Sahara over the calving zone for Atlantic hurricanes, it depends on upper level winds that can sheer off the top of the developing storm, trade wind inversions that can build a pocket of stable warm air that increases in temperature as you rise in altitude, which makes it difficult for more warm air to rise, as well as thunderstorms.

There are a number of factors involved. That's why the hurricane estimates can be close, but often wrong. See 2006 when warm seas yielded predictions of well above average hurricane season, but it turned out to be a dud.

They don't move heat around, they feed off of heat... when something uses something for fuel, it is expended eventually.... just like when we need more food after so long, or we die.... when a hurricane runs out of warm water and air to fuel it, it dies. (Usually when it passes over large land masses and there is no water, or when it goes too far north)
Yes, they do move heat around. You have to move the heat above the surface for it to cool, then condense into cold clouds. That's moving heat. It's moving heat all along it's path across the Atlantic where it stirs the waters, and removes that heat, or forces it down. Where do you think that warm air goes? Again I refer you to the laws of Thermodynamics.

Which means that the existing warmth within our planet is expelled and converted to cool.... not just by the Hurricane using it as feul, but also there is a decent amount thrusted out into space via the eye of the storm. the only way to build that back up is from the Sun's rays and the Earth's core, or as many believe.... pollution. But regardless of how the heat on our planet is kept warm, there is a counter for it to remain cool..... thus, balance.
You really are clueless. As the warm air rises it cools, that doesn't mean that energy dissappears, that's impossible. That heat is dispersed among the cooler air above the storm. If you drop a hot rock into icy water, that energy doesn't disappear, it warms the cooler water.

Except the fact that Hurricanes do not simply "move" the heat around. If that was the case, then I would agree with you.
They of course move more than heat, it's not "simply" heat that gets moved. Did you even read that article for question 1?

I can quote for you...
Tropical cyclones and hurricanes play an important role in the ocean circulation patterns that transport heat and maintain the climate of North America and Europe, report researchers from Purdue University.
See that? Transport heat. It can't disappear, it can dissipate that heat over larger areas by contact with cooler bodies of water/air, which will warm that water/air. So you get heat removed from areas by the hurricane, but then it's moved elsewhere. If you haven't yet read the laws of Thermodynamics, maybe now would be a good time.

Well I can't say I agree with that either. But as crazy as it sounds, you have to look at the planet as a living being, with it's own methods of regulation.
Right...and when we get an infection and a fever hits us, do we say, oh must be the sun? Not unless you're skipping out on your Risperidol. Most people think it's probably some crap in our bodies that's forcing a response, so we either leave it be(which can be fatal) or we endeavor to identify and eliminate the problem.

All the reports I've have seen in regards to Global Warming, they talk about the fear of bigger and worse hurricanes coming our way in the future due to the warmer tempratures, which is true to a degree, but they stop short from the total explination of those. Everybody always looks at the bad things hurricanes and tornados have on our civilizations and our lives, but I rarely see anybody looking into their actual benifits, and the above is one of those main benifits of Hurricanes.
Hey, I'm no fan of the media. I think most of the time they get it wrong. When they do get something right, that's a good day!

That fellow Emanuel in the article above, he is a hurricane expert. His research shows that the numbers of hurricanes will decrease over time, but the accumulated cyclone energy(how they measure the strength of storms) is going to increase. That shouldn't be too hard for you to swallow. You've repeated the claims above that you need warm waters for stronger storms, which is true. I showed you the kinds of things that are believed to decrease the storm formations. You add those two together, and what you get is fewer storms forming, but those that do are intense.

Hurricanes are one area where there is no conclusive evidence, no 'consensus', but plenty of conjecture. I happen to think Emanuel is right, not because of media reports, but because I read primary documents. You can find his papers on Google Scholar, I'd recommend them in fact if you're interested in hurricanes. Then just follow the references like you follow links on the net. More informative than anything you'll hear or read on CBC, CTV, Global, CNN, NBC, ABC, Fox, etc.

Hurricanes can be quite destructive for humans and other wildlife on the planet, but for the Earth itself, they are very nessicary for it's own survival.
Not really. How would the Earth be destroyed without hurricanes? You could say however that on Earth-like planets, they are a consequence of the situation (circulation, heat gradients, spinning planet, liquid water), but the Earth wouldn't fracture and blow into a trillion pieces if hurricanes suddenly stopped. That's nonsense.

Every few thousands of years the earth goes through above normal temprature shifts, and then down to well below normal ones..... this has been recorded and studied from Glacier Cores which tracked back thousands of years of events, and apparently during the time the Roman Empire was falling, the Earth was at an even higher temprature then what we are currently experiencing..... and then they came back to normal. Between today and the last big Ice Age, there was also what they called a "Mini Ice Age" that occured.
No serious study of climate could have someone think that there isn't natural variation, it's precisely these variations that allow researchers to investigate relationships, like feedback mechanisms(much like a live organism, as you said earlier).

Everything we are using, consuming, burning, etc. are all derrived from the Earth and its own resources..... resources which the Earth itself during it's creation, burned and spouted up into it's own atmospere...... what we are doing to the earth isn't anything new to the Earth, and the Earth will adjust and adapt at our expense, regardless if we watch what we're doing or not.
During those past times when there was 1000's of ppm of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases in our atmosphere, when the earth was scorching, the planet had favourable conditions for some species, mammals not being included. Particularly the Carboniferous period. That explosion of carbon eating organisms is what we're burning. They took it out of the atmosphere, and we're putting it back. It's like moving backwards through time.

What we are doing is new to the Earth. We're aware of what our actions can do. We can wipe out entire eco-systems if we choose to do so. We use more resources than the natural system can account for, we can make chemical fertilizers to replace that lost production, which in turn proliferates organisms in the ocean that consume all the oxygen, called dead zones because they leave nothing behind. The earth has never seen any species like that. We are a brand new source in all of the nutrient cycles, including releasing nutrients that were long ago taken out of the cycle.

It's not denial that drives my opinion, it's not fear that drives my opinion, it's educated assurance of what our planet is actually capable of doing.
Our planet is capable of doing many remarkable things, but not at the drop of a hat. Consider it takes 1000's of years for ocean temperature to catch up to the 'equilibrium' after it's been perturbed. Consider that all those nasty CFC's we manufactured take anywhere from 50 to 1700 years to be removed from the atmosphere.

I'm more concerned with what we're capable of doing, and there's no assurances there.

The things I believe we should be doing to improve our enviroment from direct effects, such as acid rain and polluted rivers, etc.... is to address each and everyone of those issues on a case by case basis and find alternative solutions to resolving those problems..... when those problems are solved, the bigger ones will follow suit.
Like I said, those same companies that pay for shills on climate change, pay for shills on everything else, including pollutants that cause acid rain, mercury which is still belching from coal generating plants, leaving behind contaminated sites that tax payers have to pay to clean up, you name it.

It's not some either-or thing Prax.