Mugabe food talks trip 'obscene'

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7430421.stm

The presence of Zimbabwe's President Robert Mugabe at a United Nations food summit in Rome is "obscene", Australia's foreign minister has said.

"This is the person who has presided over the starvation of his people," said Stephen Smith.

State television said Mr Mugabe was accompanied by his wife and senior government officials on the trip.
Mr Mugabe and his ministers are usually subject to a European Union travel ban - but he is able to attend UN forums.

It is Mr Mugabe's first visit to Europe since the opposition Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) won a majority in parliamentary elections in March.

He faces a presidential run-off on 27 June against MDC leader Morgan Tsvangirai.

Mr Mugabe's supporters have been accused of attacking MDC activists, leaving at least 50 dead.

The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) summit starts on Tuesday and reports say Mr Mugabe is expected to stay in Italy until Friday.

Food aid

The EU, US and UK are all strongly critical of Mr Mugabe's human rights record, as well as his management of the economy.

"This is the person who has used food aid in a politically motivated way," said Mr Smith, who is due to attend the summit.
"So Robert Mugabe turning up to a conference dealing with food security or food issues is, in my view, frankly obscene."

A spokesman for UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown said Mr Mugabe's presence was "unfortunate... given what he has done in relation to contributing to difficulties on food supply in Zimbabwe".

Zimbabwe used to be a net food exporter but now suffers from chronic food shortages.
Inflation is running at an annual rate of 165,000% and just one in five adults has a regular job.

Last year Mr Brown boycotted an EU-Africa summit because Mr Mugabe had been invited to attend.

Mr Mugabe routinely dismisses criticism of him as evidence of Western racism.

He will be given the opportunity to address the summit.

He caused a stir at a similar summit in Rome in 2005 when he denounced the then UK Prime Minister Tony Blair and US President George W Bush.

He described them as "unholy men" at the meeting in Rome - to the applause of some delegates.

He also said the West was "foisting food" on the Zimbabwean people.

In Zimbabwe, at least 70 people have been arrested following attacks on ruling party supporters, according to the state-owned Herald newspaper.

The MDC blames the ruling Zanu-PF for the violence but this is denied by allies of Mr Mugabe.

A senior Zimbabwean opposition politician, Arthur Mutambara, was arrested on Saturday over a written attack on Mr Mugabe.
Mr Mutambara recently pledged to work with Mr Tsvangirai to defeat President Mugabe in the run-off elections.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Tracy

Believe me I echo your disgust? offense? at the Mugabe situation but I'd far rather have people talking than killing each other.... Although a moron like George Bush invades another nation and kills thousands on a lie and exaggeration...he's given the podium at the U.N. to talk about aid relief to Africa.... So even though some of these rascals have less than stellar credentials the opportunity to diplomatically deal with many diverse situations is in my opinion prefereable to armed conflict.

From Darfur to Zimbabwe, revolutionaries and terrorists have highjacked aid sent to help a starving people and I wonder why these conditions don't merit greater dialogue at and in the United Nations.....

If we seriously want to live together in peace...we have to exhaust all alternatives available before we escalate to the next stage.

The United Nations...undercut and plagued with corruption is the only place that talk can take place before aircraft and tanks start rolling.

I prefer peace and when either a man with too much power and influenced by greed and self-interest ahead of the welfare of the citizens of his nation brings suffering to thousands that man and that nation should be the target of sanctions from the body of the U.N. The United States and Israel have been manipulating this institution for decades and when it can be seen that manipulation is possible and a practical alternative to living up to the notion of law and principle, the gates are flung wide for any treacherous nabob to usurp and tear-down the system.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Tracy

Believe me I echo your disgust? offense? at the Mugabe situation but I'd far rather have people talking than killing each other.... Although a moron like George Bush invades another nation and kills thousands on a lie and exaggeration...he's given the podium at the U.N. to talk about aid relief to Africa.... So even though some of these rascals have less than stellar credentials the opportunity to diplomatically deal with many diverse situations is in my opinion prefereable to armed conflict.

From Darfur to Zimbabwe, revolutionaries and terrorists have highjacked aid sent to help a starving people and I wonder why these conditions don't merit greater dialogue at and in the United Nations.....

If we seriously want to live together in peace...we have to exhaust all alternatives available before we escalate to the next stage.

The United Nations...undercut and plagued with corruption is the only place that talk can take place before aircraft and tanks start rolling.

I prefer peace and when either a man with too much power and influenced by greed and self-interest ahead of the welfare of the citizens of his nation brings suffering to thousands that man and that nation should be the target of sanctions from the body of the U.N. The United States and Israel have been manipulating this institution for decades and when it can be seen that manipulation is possible and a practical alternative to living up to the notion of law and principle, the gates are flung wide for any treacherous nabob to usurp and tear-down the system.
U.N.----contradiction in terms, right Mikey?

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Tracy

I'm not saying armed conflict is the answer or suggesting disbanding the UN, though I would like to point out that talking with Mugabe doesn't prevent any killing. Starvation is as deadly as a bullet. I just find it funny that we're supposed to pretend Mugabe is anything but what he really is. Few people would suggest ignoring Bush's faults (rightfully so), but when people point out Mugabe's faults he just cries racism. It is the height of irony to have a man who caused famine at a conference of this nature.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
[FONT=Verdana,Arial]Mugabe’s Biggest Sin
Anglo-American and Chinese interests clash over Zimbabwe’s strategic mineral wealth[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial] F. William Engdahl[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial]July 30, 2008

Robert Mugabe, the President of Zimbabwe, presides over one of the world’s richest minerals treasures, the Great Dyke region, which cuts a geological swath across the entire land from northeast to southwest. The real background to the pious concerns of the Bush Administration for human rights in Zimbabwe in the past several years is not Mugabe’s possible election fraud or his expropriation of white settler farms. It is the fact that Mr. Mugabe has been quietly doing business, a lot of it, with the one country which has virtually unlimited need of strategic raw materials Zimbabwe can provide—China. Mugabe’s Zimbabwe is, along with Sudan, on the central stage of the new war over control of strategic minerals of Africa between Washington and Beijing, with Moscow playing a supporting role in the drama. The stakes are huge.[/FONT]
Zimbabwe’s President, Robert Mugabe is a very very bad man. This we all know from reading the newspapers or hearing the pronouncements of George W. Bush, earlier Britain’s Tony Blair and more recently Gordon Brown. In their eyes he has sinned badly. They charge that he is a dictator; that he has expropriated, often with violence, the farms of whites as part of land reform; they claim he rigged his re-election by vote fraud and violence; that he has ruined the economy of Zimbabwe.
Whether Robert Mugabe deserves to be in Washington’s honor roll of villains alongside Fidel Castro, Saddam Hussein, Milosevic, Ahmadinejad, and Adolf Hitler, however, it is not the reason Washington and London have made Zimbabwe regime change priority number one for their Africa policy.
What his sin is seems to have more to do with his attempts to get out from under Anglo-American neo-colonial serfdom dependency and to pursue a national economic development independent of the International Monetary Fund and World Bank. His real sin seems to be the fact that he has turned to the one nation that offers his government credits and soft loans for economic development with no strings attached—The Peoples’ Republic of China.
W

http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/