One of last remaining 'uncontacted' tribes spotted in Brazil

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

In this photo released by Brazil's indigenous peoples' agency Funai, 'uncontacted' tribesmen react to an overflight by agency officials. Funai warns that illegal logging and mining are putting such communities at risk of disease and cultural annihilation. (Gleison Miranda, Funai/Associated Press)

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/05/30/brazil-tribe.html

Officials in Brazil released photographs Friday of what's believed to be one of the last groups of indigenous people in the world that hasn't had face-to-face contact with outsiders.

Brazil's National Indian Foundation, known as Funai, spotted members of the group during flights over the far western Amazon jungle near the Peruvian border.

The people were sighted in an Ethno-Environmental Protected Area along the Envira River in flights over remote Acre state.

Funai said it photographed "strong and healthy" warriors, six huts and a large planted area. But it was not known to which tribe they belonged, officials said.

"Four distinct isolated peoples exist in this region, whom we have accompanied for 20 years," Funai's Jose Carlos Meirelles Junior said in a statement.

Funai does not make contact with the isolated communities of the Amazon area, and it is supposed to prevent invasions of their land, to ensure total autonomy for the remote groups of indigenous people.

The London-based organization Survival International said indigenous tribes in the area are in danger from illegal logging in Peru, which is driving tribes over the border and could lead to conflict with the estimated 500 uncontacted Indians now living on the Brazilian side.

There are more than 100 "uncontacted" tribes worldwide, most of them in Brazil and Peru, the group said in a statement.

"These pictures are further evidence that uncontacted tribes really do exist," Survival International director Stephen Corry said.

"The world needs to wake up to this, and ensure that their territory is protected in accordance with international law. Otherwise, they will soon be made extinct."

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007

FUBAR

Electoral Member
May 14, 2007
I bet that there are camera crews on the way already, just can't leave things alone can we.........

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
more than 100 uncontacted tribes in the world. Wow.

It makes me wonder, if you were a mother in one of these tribes, trying to raise kids off the land, watching a few of your kids die of disease, injuries... losing them in childbirth... if someone took you and plopped you down in our society, and showed you around, and explained that we had purposely NOT brought you into the current industrial age with us, what your reaction would be?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

It makes me wonder, if you were a mother in one of these tribes, trying to raise kids off the land, watching a few of your kids die of disease, injuries... losing them in childbirth... if someone took you and plopped you down in our society, and showed you around, and explained that we had purposely NOT brought you into the current industrial age with us, what your reaction would be?

Where's that big stew pot?

It's the only life they know. That chopper must have looked like a flying saucer would look to us.

Woof

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007

To me, I imagine their way of life is just acustomed to those trials and tragidies. Sure we may have ways of fixing all kinds of illnesses to prolong our lives, but through all our advancements, we haven't figured it all out and we still suffer from different illnesses and such. In fact, chances are they might suffer from far less illnesses then we do in our cultures, due to the foods we eat, the lifestyles we live and them being isolated from the rest of the world, if an outbreak of some virus or illness occured, chances are, they'd be missed completely.

We're not much father off then they are when you take it down to the core. They're for the most part very healthy, they have families, wars/fights, homes, food, community.... besides technology and our personal beliefs, we're still pretty much the same as they are. They are comfortible and acustomed to their way of life, just as we are, just as people in Iran, Pakistan, China, the US, Canada are all acustomed to their own ways of life.

However if you brought one of them into our "world" alone with nobody else from their tribe, chances are they'll freak the snot out of themselves, have a panic attack and think we're some form of God..... and chances are, we'd exploit that.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I bet that there are camera crews on the way already, just can't leave things alone can we.........

There is a reason why many of those tribes are not contacted by the outside world and that has to do with them not only being very teritorial between their own known tribes and strangers, but most are also cannibals and will kill and eat you.

I remember seeing an old 1970's movie called.... um.... *searches*.... "Cannibal Holocaust"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannibal_Holocaust

"Cannibal Holocaust is well known as an exploitation film because of controversies following its release. After premiering in Italy, the film was seized by a local magistrate, and Deodato was arrested on obscenity charges. He was later accused of making a snuff film because rumors claimed some actors were killed on camera. Although Deodato was later cleared, the film was banned in Italy, the UK, Australia, and several other countries due to graphic gore, sexual violence, and because six animals were killed on camera. Many nations have since revoked the ban; however, the film is still barred in some places around the world. This notoriety notwithstanding, some critics see Cannibal Holocaust as a social commentary about civilized society."

In a nutshell, a group of people decided to head into the rain forests to film these tribes.... they got all uppity with their superiority from coming from a developed country and having technology and they started to set fire to their homes, treat them like animals and pretty well disrespected their entire tribe...... of course shortly afterwards the tribe hunted them down in the woods, raped the girl, killed all of them and ate them.

I can't remember and quickly looking through the wiki link, I can not remember if this was based on a true story or not, but whether or not it's true, it does show how we can sometimes act more savagely then those we claim are savages.

But as mentioned before, there is a very good reason why these tribes have not been contacted, and that is because most people who have been reported going into see these tribes never come back.