US Sugar not so sweet...

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Sugar Workers, Given Shares Instead of Pension, Wonder Why Price Is So Low

CLEWISTON, Fla. — Thousands of workers at U.S. Sugar thought they were getting a good deal when the company shelved their pension plan and gave them stock for their retirement instead. They had a heady sense of controlling their own destiny as they became the company’s biggest shareholders, Vic McCorvey, a former farm manager there, said.

“It was always stressed to me, as manager of that 20,000-acre farm, that the better you do, the higher your stock will be and the more retirement you could get,” Mr. McCorvey said. “That’s why I worked six and seven days a week, 14 hours a day,” slogging through wet and buggy cane fields, doing whatever it took.

Now that many U.S. Sugar workers are reaching retirement age, though, the company has been cashing them out of the retirement plan at a much lower price than they could have received. Unknown to them, an outside investor was offering to buy the company — and their shares — for far more. Long-time employees say they have lost out on tens of thousands of dollars each and millions of dollars as a group, while insiders of the company came out ahead.

Some former U.S. Sugar employees have since filed a lawsuit accusing company insiders of cheating them out of money due to them. Throughout, the worker-owners have been shut out of information about the company’s finances and unable to challenge management’s moves or vote because their shares are held through a retirement plan, not directly.

Read the whole scoop on this rip-off scheme:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/29/bu...hp&oref=slogin
------------------------------------------
Capitalism successfully found a way of making some extra bucks off the backs of the workers. I wonder how the US courts will deal with this.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Doesn't suprise me.... get as much work out of your workers as much as possible while making sure you pay them as little as possible.... or in this case, completely rip their futures away from them for the name of a buck.

As soon as I read the line about trading in their pensions for shares, I knew someone was about to get screwed over royally.... and I guess they did.

It's rip off season for the rich people over the little people.... take heed, as they know the economy is going to turn into green sh*t due to their own actions and so they're going to nickle and dime their way all the way through it, regardless of how many people they make suffer and become homeless with no future securities.... they'll be too rich and secure in their high security compounds with their money, away from all the angry people they screwed over to actually give a rats ass what they did to their own people and their own country.

It's everybody for themselves, all for the mighty dollar..... capitalism at it's best. I feel sorry for those workers, they got royally d*cked over.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
It's everybody for themselves, all for the mighty dollar..... capitalism at it's best. I feel sorry for those workers, they got royally d*cked over.
That seems to be the name of the game! Little people should never trust the proposals of their bosses. In this case they should have hired a lawyer to scrutinize the deal first and point out the flaws in it.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Sugar is going out of business!! Read this fantastic turn of events:

Florida Buying Big Sugar Tract for Everglades

LOXAHATCHEE, Fla. — The dream of a restored Everglades, with water flowing from Lake Okeechobee to Florida Bay, moved a giant step closer to reality on Tuesday when the nation’s largest sugarcane producer agreed to sell all of its assets to the state and go out of business.

Under the proposed deal, Florida will pay $1.75 billion for United States Sugar, which would have six years to continue farming before turning over 187,000 acres north of Everglades National Park, along with two sugar refineries, 200 miles of railroad and other assets.
It would be Florida’s biggest land acquisition ever, and the magnitude and location of the purchase left environmentalists and state officials giddy.

The fate of the company’s 1,900 workers also remains in question and some former company executives have suggested that the state is overpaying, bailing out a company burdened with debt, a troubled new sugar mill and a lawsuit from former employees who said they were bilked out of retirement money.

Company officials said the deal would amount to $350 a share, after taxes and other obligations were paid, a premium over two previous offers of $293 per share that the company had dismissed as inadequate.

The company will face some hurdles. The lawsuit involving former employees will not disappear but will probably include fewer plaintiffs, said Curtis Miner, one of the workers’ lawyers. Some, like Randy Smith, 57, who cashed out last year at $194 a share after 25 years with the company, said Tuesday’s deal only proved that he did not receive his fair share.
“I got ripped off pretty good,” he said.

Those most affected though will be current workers, and they could decide whether the purchase goes through. United States Sugar took its stock off the public market in 1983 to create an employee stock ownership plan, so technically the company is owned by the workers.

Mr. Buker tried to respond. He said it was a good deal, that wage earners would receive a year’s pay as severance; that salaried workers would get two years. And he said that the company had no choice but to sell because the state had the upper hand, and could have pushed them off the land with laws, rather than with $1.7 billion dollars.

Read the whole story here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/25/us/25everglades.html?hp
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm happy for the crocodiles that live in the Everglades!:lol:

What I wonder is, will sugar prices go up shortly, because of a shortage due to the closure of this gigantic plant? We might have to consume a little less which would be a good thing!!;-)

I don't quite understand the difference between a wage earner and a salaried worker. One is unionized and the other not?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I don't quite understand the difference between a wage earner and a salaried worker. One is unionized and the other not?

wage means paid by the hour, salary means paid by the year. Salary is usually paid to higherups, who are hired to oversee a job (such as a manage the plant), rather than to log hours and turn out a product (such as pick sugar cane).

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
No one cried foul when the United States raped Hati...because Big Sugar wanted in...

Why should anyone care now?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
That seems to be the name of the game! Little people should never trust the proposals of their bosses. In this case they should have hired a lawyer to scrutinize the deal first and point out the flaws in it.

The lawyer would have screwed them as fast if they wern't lucky enough to find one like Gopher. They are quite rare I understand.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Dancing_Loon

Do you use sugar?
Yes, that's why I'm so sweet!!! Can't you tell??;-);-)

I married a health fanatic!:lol: And consequently I became one, too!! We used only honey. I can remember an instance where I had to figure out how much honey we would use in a year... we were moving away from our honey supplier. So, I said I need about 300 pounds to keep us six sweet for a year. At the time the honey cost less than 20 cents/pound!! (1966)

A funny incident: My four little girls wanted to be just like the neighbor's kids, suck on a lolly pop! They found some nut pickers, wooden sticks etc.in the kitchen drawers, and poked a date on the end. Then they sat themselves very ostensibly on the curb and sucked on their dates... for all the world to see they had a lolly pop!:lol:

Now, that I have been on my own for quite a while I have modified my lifestyle. I do eat some meat and fish again!!! I do use sugar in baking and when making jams and other sweet preserves.

Back home we used to eat a lot of rhubarb-"Gruetze" = Rhubarb cooked and thickened with sago or tapioca, and of course, sweetened with sugar. I just cooked myself a potful the other day. I eat it with Half & Half 10% milk!! Sinful, I know. Since last year I discovered in our little IGA Organic Sugar!! $2.49 a pound. That's the only sugar I use now, besides a little honey in my herb tea.

A month ago I even made myself some dandelion syrup!! I used organic sugar, and did it ever turn out good! Yum!

You don't eat sugar, Mikey? Or why the question?

P.S.
Something I just remember, and would like to pass along in case some individual can learn from it.
When I was pregnant with my first child I started getting hay fever every year from about the tenth of August into the first frost in October. I suffered unrelentingly for 25 years!!!! Then I read quite incidentally that honey can cause in some people a hay fever-like allergy, because of the particular acid inherent in honey, and sensitive kidneys. I stopped using honey, and haven't had hay fever since, which is 23 years now!!

Perhaps it all started when I was a child, and we had honey bees, and did our own extracting. I remember the first time the honey flowed I would hold my finger under the thick stream, then twirl it... and into my mouth!! I had too much of the sweet stuff and got so sick, I couldn't go to school the next day!!!

Time to go outside.... see how my garden is doing!;-);-)