Canada to reaffirm sovereignty over High Arctic waters at conference

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/05/27/higharctic-conference.html

Canada is committed to defending and protecting its sovereignty in the waters of the High Arctic as it begins the process of mapping the northern territory with other nations, says the federal minister of natural resources.

Gary Lunn is travelling to Ilulissat, Greenland, on Tuesday to discuss Canada's claim to the northern seabed with officials from Denmark, Norway, the United States and Russia, who are also looking to secure their piece of the Arctic pie.

"There's a lot of co-operation between countries that is happening, but it's important that we have strong presence on the world stage," said Lunn.

The three-day conference is expected to discuss rules, dictated by the UN Law of the Sea Convention, on dividing jurisdiction over the High Arctic waters, one of the most rapidly changing parts of the world due to climate change.

As the ice continues to melt, countries with continental shelves on the Arctic Ocean are increasingly concerned over who controls the territory and its resources.

"It's critically important that it's under our sovereign control so that we set the parameters for the environment and that we make the decisions whether or not even to allow exploration," Lunn said Monday.

Under the UN law, signed by Canada in 2003, the five northern countries may be able to extend their sovereignty beyond the usual 200-nautical-mile limit recognized in international law if the seabed is an extension of the continental shelf.

Canada's claim includes a swath of ocean floor stretching to the North Pole that would be the equivalent in size to the three Prairie provinces combined. Canada has until 2013 to submit its claim on the area, which stretches from the Yukon to the eastern Arctic.

The area in question wouldn't be subject to any sort of overlapping claim with other countries, Lunn said. Canada's territorial disputes in the Arctic, such as the location of the boundary between the Yukon and Alaska and the control of the Northwest Passage, aren't expected to be major topics at the conference.
Firms already after oil, gas reserves

The High Arctic seabed is coveted for its potential oil and gas reserves, not just along the coast of Beaufort Sea but at the North Pole. Estimates put about 25 per cent of the world's remaining oil and gas reserves beneath the Arctic's ocean floor.

Energy firms have already begun exploring the waters off Greenland, while large deposits of gas are known to exist off the islands of the Canadian archipelago, as well as the coasts of the Northwest Territories and Alaska.

Inhospitable conditions, including extreme cold and six months of darkness every year, make the Far North a difficult place for exploration.

"There's an interest in those resources, but more immediate in the area is the fact that there will be more international shipping over the top of the world as the ice starts to melt," the CBC's Margo McDiarmid reported Tuesday from Ottawa.

The nautical journey from China to New York, for example, is 7,000 kilometres shorter if travelled across the Arctic waters over the top of the world rather than through the Panama Canal.

As new passages are established by melting ice, Canada will be increasingly open to international traffic across and around its borders.

"The fear is that there will be more international shipping, more cruise ships, and there needs to be some kind of control, especially for Canada for those ships travelling through its waters," McDiarmid said.

Lunn emphasized that boundaries in the High Arctic must be defined by science, but would not speculate on the possible outcomes of the conference, saying only "we want to reaffirm our commitment on the world stage."

The conference is also expected to address co-operation between the five countries on maritime safety, environmental protection and search and rescue.

I can never understand their mentality.... "Oh... the ice is melting up there and opening up all kinds of new paths to travel due to climate change.... perhaps due to pollution, so let's send a crap load more ships north and start building more oil refineries and add more population up there, increase the pollution even more, and then open the ice even further...."

Smooth move ex-laxes.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
So....Praxius and Lester:

Am I to take it from your posts that you would prefer us to abandon our claim to our Arctic territory and leave the shipping lanes and natural resources to the tender mercies of the Danes, the Russians, and (gasp!) the Americans?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007

Am I to take it from your posts that you would prefer us to abandon our claim to our Arctic territory and leave the shipping lanes and natural resources to the tender mercies of the Danes, the Russians, and (gasp!) the Americans?

I didn't even respond to anything of the above, but my answer is no. But we don't need to allow everybody under the sun to travel through the Artic to keep our claim either.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
That is a lot of ocean/ice up there. The Danes and the Russians already planted their flags which shows their views on Canadian sovreignty in that area.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
That is a lot of ocean/ice up there. The Danes and the Russians already planted their flags which shows their views on Canadian sovreignty in that area.

The Russian flag was planted at the North Pole - which is NOT in Canadian waters. The Danish flag was placed on an inconsequential rock in the middle of Nares Strait (which WAS a choke point for Boomers in a bygone era)

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The Russian flag was planted at the North Pole - which is NOT in Canadian waters. The Danish flag was placed on an inconsequential rock in the middle of Nares Strait (which WAS a choke point for Boomers in a bygone era)

What is the legal limit as to what a country can claim? For example...If Canada did lay claim would it be unique for a country to claim as much oceanic territory?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
What is the legal limit as to what a country can claim? For example...If Canada did lay claim would it be unique for a country to claim as much oceanic territory?

Legally, I understand it to be 20 km (12miles) from the low water shoreline of the closest land mass or equidistant between soverign territories. Russia claims Lomonosov Ridge to be part of their continental shelf (which is an area I don't understand) therefore part of their territory. If truth be known, that would give Denmark an equal claim because the ridge re-emerges from under the Arctic Ocean as Greenland.

Last edited:

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta

I should have put a <sigh> in there, just lamenting the fact that not to long ago there were places on this planet untouched by humans. But I agree with you we'd be stupid not to lay claim to it.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I agree with the claiming of the area since we'd have to suffer most of what will occur up there compared to most.... but the thing I don't care much for is the amount of talking they're doing of industrializing the whole area for more oil and trade routes.

People are already complaining about how the ice caps are melting and they're freaking about the world's distruction due to it.... yet the above seems to be such a perfect idea? Just another reason why I feel the whole global warming thing is bullsh*t, because the the giant pile of contradictions of actions compared to talk and "Studies" and then the above..... if everybody was so freaky-deeky about the climate, then why is mining, trading and digging for oil up there seem like such a brilliant idea?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
So far, there's been an unpredictable sheet of ice over it. Once the exploration's done and the tube's in the pool, they can line the seabed with pipe. As the cost of a barrel of oil rises and open seas call - it's viable.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
So far, there's been an unpredictable sheet of ice over it. Once the exploration's done and the tube's in the pool, they can line the seabed with pipe. As the cost of a barrel of oil rises and open seas call - it's viable.

Let's not forget a large part of oil being high is the destruction of oil wells in the Gulf of Mexico. The prediction is 2012 for oil to begin the decline again.

Where would that leave the Arctic coupled with the possibility of the Arctic regaining ice coverage?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Let's not forget a large part of oil being high is the destruction of oil wells in the Gulf of Mexico. The prediction is 2012 for oil to begin the decline again.

Where would that leave the Arctic coupled with the possibility of the Arctic regaining ice coverage?

Once oil is running, the pumping station doesn't have to be onsite. The Arctic can freeze over again. Surface ice won't disturb pipes on the seafloor. Open water just makes it viable to float drilling rigs in.