Peacekeepers 'abusing children'

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I didn't see anything in the article that stated it was only men doing it (aside from the gang rape). Female predators are notorious for molesting children under their care, in hospitals and orphanages for example, in such slow, methodical, and insidious ways as to rarely be reported. I would assume that aid societies face trouble on those fronts as well. Humans are such flawed things.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
i agree dancing-loon why do they act like this makes me sick and ashamed to be a man when this sorts of behaviour is prevalent

I don't see any reason for you to be sick and ashamed by the actions of others unless you participated or applauded it. The men who act like this are in such a small majority, it saddens me to think that anyone would use them to label and shame an entire gender.

quandary121

Time Out
Apr 20, 2008
lincolnshire
uk.youtube.com
Fair point

I don't see any reason for you to be sick and ashamed by the actions of others unless you participated or applauded it. The men who act like this are in such a small majority, it saddens me to think that anyone would use them to label and shame an entire gender.

Fair point i will adjust my comment then i am sickened by those who commit these offences under the flag of peace or as the ones who are meant to be helping.:angry3:

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
"Save the Children says the most shocking aspect of child sex abuse is that most of it goes unreported... "

I don't mean to ruin anyone's moral outrage but how do you know exactly that abuse has happened if it hasn't been reported? And by "most" I assume the author means that the study done found more abuses than were being reported (which is to be expected) but exactly how much more? It is really impossible to say. I would also question the study that was done simply because what it alleges is so horrific that it is more probable that the study is flawed than accurate. It is very easy to accidentally mess a study up and particularly a study of this kind. Perhaps the innuendos and vagaries work because the narratives setting is Africa and we all know how "they" behave... :roll:

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I don't mean to ruin anyone's moral outrage but how do you know exactly that abuse has happened if it hasn't been reported? I would also question the study that was done simply because what it alleges is so horrific that it is more probable that the study is flawed than accurate. It is very easy to accidentally mess a study up and particularly a study of this kind.

You're not implying that guiding questions asking about molestation might maybe get some flawed answers are you!? 8O

Yeah, I'd pondered on their methods too. But, they went on to say 'small percentage', which would imply that it's at a level in keeping with normal human population, or possibly lower, so they may not have hit far off the mark.

Personally, I think we should be appalled anytime an article discusses the notion that 10 human beings twisted enough to rape another human being, could find one another under normal social circumstances, and act something like this out. The fact that they're peace keepers and such is sort of beside the point.

But that peacekeepers and aid workers are as flawed as the rest of the population... should that really be a surprise? I don't think so.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
But that peacekeepers and aid workers are as flawed as the rest of the population... should that really be a surprise? I don't think so.

I should think they are more so. It is the nature of those that help others to do so because they need help. People always give what they need. It isn't a coincidence that every drug and alcohol councilor is a recovering alcoholic or that every mariage councilor has gone through at least one divorce.

I'm not saying the study isn't accurate but that it could be inaccurate

Remember the big to do we had here in North America about cult abuse of children? Thousands of children were being abused - or so it was thought, because of a study. It turned out to be complete BS. This reminds me of that because the allegations are so severe.

I am always suspicious of "studies" with extreme conclusions.

Last edited:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

Absolutely agree with you 100% Karrie, but the labeling happens, all the time. A few rotten apples...........

:angry3:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I didn't see anything in the article that stated it was only men doing it (aside from the gang rape). Female predators are notorious for molesting children under their care, in hospitals and orphanages for example, in such slow, methodical, and insidious ways as to rarely be reported. I would assume that aid societies face trouble on those fronts as well. Humans are such flawed things.

Not to mention that society is more tolerant of females who sexually abused compared to men. A man sexually abuses a girl and he's cast out like monsterous ogre beast he truly is, thrown in jail for 25 years and eventually beaten to death by other prisoners most likely..... a woman sexually abuses a boy and he's the coolest guy at school while she gets out in less then a year.

It's not just men who act on these types of behavior and the question "What is wrong with men???" is offensive.... what's wrong with men? I don't know.... I guess I'm not one of them since I don't do those things..... cuz I guess that's what all men do. When I do, I'll let you all know.

What this report is showing us is that it's not how screwed up men are in the world, it's showing that these aid groups and peacekeepers are not screened as effectively as they should be and child molesters have found their method of getting their fix by joining these types of organizations, because they put them in a position of trust.... just like a priest, english teachers in asia as we've seen last year in a couple of cases, and so on....

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
dancing-loon;954 What is wrong with men???[/quote said:

That is either not well thought out, or meant to be inflammatory.........

What IS wrong with women??.........makes as much sense.
:-|

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Well this isn't the first time Dancing-Loon has called out men to bash them. She did it once before when talking about men and infidelity in marriage. She said the same thing...

"What is wrong with men."

What Prax has said is true. Their is a double standard when women are caught messing with underage boys. They get off fairly easy. Sure they do go to jail but are not villified as men are.

Reactions: karrie

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
I'd just like to point out that not every therapist involved in drug and alcohol abuse counselling is a rehabilitated substance abuser. I've spent a good deal of my professinal career counselling substance abusers and have never been faced with "cleaning-up" or watching as my future slipped down the crapper....

Generalizations hurt eveyone. Which isn't to say that some generalizations are indeed valid and that a nugget of truth exists in even some of the most distasteful generalizations. Unfortunately (or fortunately one might suggest...) the far greater indidence of sexual abuse is perpetrated by males.