Burma refuses aid from U.S. warships for cyclone victims

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/05/21/burma-us.html

Burma's military regime said Wednesday it wouldn't accept aid for the millions of victims of Cyclone Nargis from U.S. warships, even though American military aircraft have been landing up to five times a day in the storm-battered country, delivering relief supplies.

International aid agencies and foreign governments have been urging the reclusive army generals who run Burma, also known as Myanmar, to accept foreign aid and allow global relief teams into the country ever since the cyclone struck on May 3.

What aid has been allowed in is being delivered solely by Burmese army teams, amid accusations of corruption and favouritism. Very few foreign relief experts have been given visas.

The United Nations estimates that nearly 2.5 million people are destitute after the storm, which left nearly 134,000 dead or missing.

State radio said assistance from U.S. warships "comes with strings attached" that are "not acceptable to the people of Myanmar."

The radio report cited fears that Washington wants to overthrow the Burmese junta, but said airlifted aid from the U.S. was acceptable, without giving an explanation.
Many still cut off

Many of the worst affected areas are still inaccessible by road and aid officials had been hoping that the regime would clear the way for foreign naval vessels to begin landing supplies directly to survivors in the Irrawaddy River Delta.

The junta has been gradually relaxing some of its restrictions on foreign aid, announcing it would allow medical teams from neighbouring southeast Asian countries into the cyclone zone and giving a few visas to some United Nations and other agencies.

UN Secretary General Ban ki-Moon is on his way to Burma to press the generals to allow more access for aid and relief experts.

Before leaving New York Tuesday, he said the UN had received the go-ahead to use helicopters to deliver aid to stranded victims.

"We have received government permission to operate nine WFP [World Food Program] helicopters," Ban said, "which will allow us to reach areas that have so far been inaccessible."

The secretary general said aid efforts in Burma had reached a "critical moment."

"We have a functioning relief program in place," he said, "But so far we have been able to reach only 25 per cent of … people in need."
Ban to meet junta leader

Ban is due to arrive in the country Thursday after meetings in the Thai capital, Bangkok. Arriving there Wednesday, he confirmed that he'd be meeting the junta's top leader, a meeting that Burmese authorities have yet to confirm.

"After going to the affected areas, I will meet with senior government officials, including Senior General Than Shwe," the UN secretary general told journalists.

Ban's letters and telephone calls to Than Shwe have gone unanswered for days, although the junta did announce its approval of the secretary general visit on Monday.

Meanwhile Burma's state media has announced that the junta will set up orphanages for children whose parents died in the cyclone.

The New Light of Myanmar newspaper said orphanages will be opened in several Irrawaddy Delta towns.

The newspaper did not give details of how many children were affected by the storm. UNICEF's representative in Rangoon, Ramesh Shrestha, said the agency believes the number of children left without adult guardians is more than 600 and could rise.

UNICEF was working with Burmese authorities to help unaccompanied children find any surviving relatives, Shrestha said.

UNICEF has estimated that children may account for more than one-third of those killed in the cyclone and has said that those who survived could be at risk of human trafficking and sexual abuse in chaotic refugee camps.

The crowded and makeshift shelters were built by survivors and have forced orphans and separated children to live alongside strangers, often in dark areas with little supervision. There has been one report of the attempted trafficking of a teenage storm survivor in Rangoon, but so far no confirmed reports of sexual abuse, UNICEF said.

Similar concerns were expressed following the tsunami that battered a large portion of Asia in 2004, but little evidence of such problems emerged.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
State radio said assistance from U.S. warships "comes with strings attached" that are "not acceptable to the people of Myanmar."

That's true enough I'm sure.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
50 nations meet in Myanmar to decide on aid

The UN secretary-general flew to Myanmar on Sunday to steer a 50-nation conference that will pledge funds for survivors of Cyclone Nargis after the country's military junta promised to open its doors to critically needed foreign help.

After weeks of stubbornly refusing assistance, Myanmar's ruling generals have told the United Nations they are now willing to allow workers of all nationalities to help survivors of the storm that left about 78,000 people dead and another 56,000 missing.

The ability to assess the situation will be critical in securing pledges from foreign governments, and the junta's about-face was seen as a concession to get more aid when the potential donor nations meet in Rangoon, Myanmar's biggest city.

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said Myanmar's ruling generals had told him that international aid workers will be able “to freely reach the needy people,” a pledge the junta has not publicly acknowledged.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/
---------------------------------------------------------
This is a larger crisis than in China!!
I guess now the Junta has realized they start to look bad and besides, they can't deal with the disaster themselves.
I wonder what sort of strings the US has attached to their aid? Perhaps a military base???

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
While the people of the United States have have demonstrated their preparedness to embrace their corrupt government, and pay the price for deeply flawed leadership, the reputation built by the U.S. for decades is revealed in Burma's response. Thousands of people have recieved aid from the U.S. and found themselve's hostage to their plight. From promises of aid with attachments...military bases and permanent presence in their country to the machinations of a greed driven society that supports slave-shop economics and practices racial prejudice within their own culture (America) to living with (like the rest of the world whether recieving "aid" or not...) the threat of violence and militarism should governments not "toe-the-line" to Yankee interests.

Thousands of people will suffer for the vigilence other national governments must bring to bear on having any kind of dealings with the United States of America. They can't be trusted and the world knows it.

LIke so many other things, America and Americans have lost all respect and even the tolerance of governments which pose no threat to America. Ideology of the "Might is Right" philosophy of America has over the past 100 years shaped the political and economic dynamic of the entire planet. Now this same ideology is recognized as untrustworthy and to be avoided...even if that means thousands of helpless women and children will die as the consequence. A truly great day for America and Americans!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
:roll:

Oh yes, the Burmese Gov't murders thousands by denying aid workers and relief efforts and the US is the bad guy again.

Fuk me, some people need serious therapy!!!

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
You really are one dumb arsehole aren't you Bear!

When a man is beating his spouse do you think it appropriate to slip over to his house and sit and watch while sipping a beer? When a mobster collects "protection money" from local businessess under the "threat" of "potential" circumstances...do you think it's appropriate for the police to turn their back and that people should simply take things into their own hands?

Your blind love for America and the littany of lies and misdirection you've so enthusiastically swallowed for you whole life has left you unable to achieve any objectivity of any kind when it comes to the actions of the United States. I suppose you just don't get it that when a band council is driving around in Mercedes Benz's and the chief lives in a lovely home....while the bulk of the reserve lives on next to nothing ...that that's perfectly acceptable....

While you suck the American teat....you should head south Mr. Apple and hug a few Yanks and move in with them.....

The issue isn't how "bad" America is (although that's relevant) compared to how "bad" the government of Burma is...or isn't, you can't get past your fairy-tale thinking when it comes to America can you!

The issue is that the wealthiest nation on earth while ostensibly offering aid to others has created a situation wherein their overtures are no longer trusted by the world...

Ah what's the point....

Once an asshole always an asshole...

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
You really are one dumb arsehole aren't you Bear!

When a man is beating his spouse do you think it appropriate to slip over to his house and sit and watch while sipping a beer? When a mobster collects "protection money" from local businessess under the "threat" of "potential" circumstances...do you think it's appropriate for the police to turn their back and that people should simply take things into their own hands?

Your blind love for America and the littany of lies and misdirection you've so enthusiastically swallowed for you whole life has left you unable to achieve any objectivity of any kind when it comes to the actions of the United States. I suppose you just don't get it that when a band council is driving around in Mercedes Benz's and the chief lives in a lovely home....while the bulk of the reserve lives on next to nothing ...that that's perfectly acceptable....

While you suck the American teat....you should head south Mr. Apple and hug a few Yanks and move in with them.....

The issue isn't how "bad" America is (although that's relevant) compared to how "bad" the government of Burma is...or isn't, you can't get past your fairy-tale thinking when it comes to America can you!

The issue is that the wealthiest nation on earth while ostensibly offering aid to others has created a situation wherein their overtures are no longer trusted by the world...

Ah what's the point....

Once an asshole always an asshole...
Ya that's it Mikey, I'm an asshole. 2.5 million people suffering, the US is there and ready to give aid. But some paranoid duechebag, just can't get over his flawed ideology long enough to let the rescuers, rescue the people they oppress.

That tells me that the asshole you think I am, are actually running Burma.

But if you think denying aid to the people of Burma on the paranoid ramblings of some piece of shyte dictator Mikey. Maybe you are the asshole, not I.

2.5 million is a pretty big number to bitch about when they die at the hands on Americans, but if the lefts poster boys and cuddling partners do it. It's OK, they're standing on their laurels over the Imperial war machine and the strings that come with being saved.

Ya Mikey...I'm the asshole...:roll:

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Yes you are Bear!

When there was no need for aid of any kind to Burma, where was the United States and what were they doing? They were turning their back on the people of Burma because that nation had nothing to offer American business "interests". While the Yanks erected military bases and built missile installations all over Europe ...wasn't the message given by the United States to everyone...that unless you cow-towed to "our" principles and fed "our" ideological engine....you were personna non gratia..? Hasn't the United States made a practice (for decades) of demonizing other nations and cultures and inculcating fear and disrespect for those who maintained ties with their "enemies"?....And now with America trading with China...well the atrocities of the Chinese Communist regime can simply be over-looked....right!?

You're of the "black and white" genre of thinkers Bear and you immediately go on the defense in the name of protecting the myth of America while ignoring the reality of America. If you don't talk to your neighbors and work to "normalize relations with those around you....,but instead generate hatred and fear and refuse to be seen as available to talking to those folk who don't embrace the same ideals as you...you've established that your interest and your humanity are conditional.

Well golly-gee....now Bush (undoubtedly your greatest hero) is talking about talking to Cuba..... either they need more land to expand Gitmo and want to open business opportunities in Cuba...or they've come to realize they don't live alone on this planet!

You live alone Bear...in that little isolated "I must always be right and everything must be as simple as black and white....or my only option is to rage and scream and pick up my war-axe....!

Don't worry Bear, I won't attempt to offer any ideas that will burden your intellect.... I'll just pretend you have something worthwhile to offer and ignore you....

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Yes you are Bear!
Grow up Mikey. For someone so much older and wiser then I, or so you tell us, you sure debase yourself easily.

When there was no need for aid of any kind to Burma, where was the United States and what were they doing? They were turning their back on the people of Burma because that nation had nothing to offer American business "interests". While the Yanks erected military bases and built missile installations all over Europe ...wasn't the message given by the United States to everyone...that unless you cow-towed to "our" principles and fed "our" ideological engine....you were personna non gratia..? Hasn't the United States made a practice (for decades) of demonizing other nations and cultures and inculcating fear and disrespect for those who maintained ties with their "enemies"?....And now with America trading with China...well the atrocities of the Chinese Communist regime can simply be over-looked....right!?
Wrong, on all accounts.

You're of the "black and white" genre of thinkers Bear and you immediately go on the defense in the name of protecting the myth of America while ignoring the reality of America. If you don't talk to your neighbors and work to "normalize relations with those around you....,but instead generate hatred and fear and refuse to be seen as available to talking to those folk who don't embrace the same ideals as you...you've established that your interest and your humanity are conditional.
Where's the beef Mikey? The rambling sof the Junta don't leave much to the mechanics of credibility. But hey, if you want to believe them over a multi-national aid mission. Sure, you go right ahead with your love of the cruel of the world. What was I saying about the morally bankrupt left...bingo!

Well golly-gee....now Bush (undoubtedly your greatest hero) is talking about talking to Cuba..... either they need more land to expand Gitmo and want to open business opportunities in Cuba...or they've come to realize they don't live alone on this planet!
I do not support Bush, nor the bulk of the US foreign policy. But I suspect you knew that, you just choose to ignore it when it suits you.

But this has what to do with the Junta denying aid to its people?

You live alone Bear...in that little isolated "I must always be right and everything must be as simple as black and white....or my only option is to rage and scream and pick up my war-axe....!
Ya, that's me to a 'T' Mikey...:roll:

Don't worry Bear, I won't attempt to offer any ideas that will burden your intellect.... I'll just pretend you have something worthwhile to offer and ignore you....
If I'm alone in the thought that the well being of 2.5 million people exceed the need of the iron grip of a brutal regime...Then I stand alone and I stand proud.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Fine thought Bear!

You're happy to watch as international diplomacy and national ideologies wreck havoc on a people (not just the government....) because that reinforces your notions about how the world "ought to work"....

You keep feeding yourself these little bits of "I'm OK" and maintain that focus on the minutae of life.

You no doubt have great respect for the actions of America when it comes to Iraq right? An oppressive regime (Saddam Hussein) once an "OK guy"....when America supplied weapons for Iraq's war with Iran...and the slaughter of Kurds could be ignored so long as Iraq was killing Iranians...right?

You live in a conditional and selective bubble of truth Bear.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Fine thought Bear!

You're happy to watch as international diplomacy and national ideologies wreck havoc on a people (not just the government....) because that reinforces your notions about how the world "ought to work"....

You keep feeding yourself these little bits of "I'm OK" and maintain that focus on the minutae of life.

You no doubt have great respect for the actions of America when it comes to Iraq right? An oppressive regime (Saddam Hussein) once an "OK guy"....when America supplied weapons for Iraq's war with Iran...and the slaughter of Kurds could be ignored so long as Iraq was killing Iranians...right?

You live in a conditional and selective bubble of truth Bear.

Yep, that's it Mikey, you got me...

Reactions: EagleSmack

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
No doubt you stand as proud behind America when it was supplying arms to Saddam Hussein when Iraq was killing Iranians....and America found it more convenient to ignore Saddams treatment of the Kurds.... Later of course...Saddam became a "bad-guy" and so your favorite nation bombed the people of Iraq into the stone age....

You have a selective perspective on life Bear, an empathy that's conditional and an over-arching preparedness to choose to narrow your focus until the world as you want it to be...comes into view...

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Taken your fall-back position I see....

Can't argue fact so you throw up the camouflage of sarcasm and "good-natured-rumbling".

In two short posts I poked holes in your vaunted opinion and philosophy of the "rightness" of the American ideal and you go running off to juvenile-ville.....

Tell me Bear have you ever admitted to making a mistake or being wrong about anything?

I doubt it's in your nature.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
No doubt you stand as proud behind America when it was supplying arms to Saddam Hussein when Iraq was killing Iranians....and America found it more convenient to ignore Saddams treatment of the Kurds.... Later of course...Saddam became a "bad-guy" and so your favorite nation bombed the people of Iraq into the stone age....

You have a selective perspective on life Bear, an empathy that's conditional and an over-arching preparedness to choose to narrow your focus until the world as you want it to be...comes into view...
That's you got me pegged Mikey, you da bomb...

Killem all and let Allah sortem out dude. :roll:

Did you forget your pills this morning?

Taken your fall-back position I see....

Can't argue fact so you throw up the camouflage of sarcasm and "good-natured-rumbling".

In two short posts I poked holes in your vaunted opinion and philosophy of the "rightness" of the American ideal and you go running off to juvenile-ville.....

Tell me Bear have you ever admitted to making a mistake or being wrong about anything?

I doubt it's in your nature.
You poked holes in nothing. You exposed your willingness to sacrifice the masses to extort your pound of flesh from the big bad American boogie man, that is all.

If I remember correctly and I do that better then you...I believe it was you that began calling me names way on back...asshole, arsehole and so on.

Not to mention your baseless accusation of supporting the US invasion of Iraq. But that's how you try to win. You just make shyte up about your adversary.

Same old same old Mikey.
;-)

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
The Untied States has stated...either you're with us or you're with the terrorists...

The United States has (for all of my life) propagandized against communism and yet now it is willing to trade (and trade huge) with China.

You seem to think that this kind of selective "reality" is appropriate!

Try not to hurt yourself here Bear....

Do you think there'd be a military regime in any other nation that is far more damaging to the global dynamic than the one in Burma? Think Pakistan here.... And who do you suppose supports the regime in Pakistan Bear? Where do you think the Islamic fundamentalists who've contributed to the current mess come from? Think Pakistan and think Saudi Arabia....

You're happy to keep it simple Bear.....

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

That's true enough I'm sure.

It is bull****...........

Your first hint should have been "state radio"......

BTW, the brutal regime of Burma is backed mainly by their allies in your hero-state......China.

No surprize there.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
2.5 million lives are on the line...yep, I'ld be willing to concede a little to aid my people.

But then again, I'm not a Junta General or one of their supporters, like yourself. And unlike you, I'm capable of separating the tenticals of the beats from one another. That's obviously to complicated for you to do. But simple enough that this old dense Bear grasps it succinctly.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
It is bull****...........

Your first hint should have been "state radio"......
Easy Colpy, he isn't the only one that bought the 'state radio' newsflash. Mikey's got a handle on the whole deal.

The US bad, the Junta good.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
While the people of the United States have have demonstrated their preparedness to embrace their corrupt government, and pay the price for deeply flawed leadership, the reputation built by the U.S. for decades is revealed in Burma's response. Thousands of people have recieved aid from the U.S. and found themselve's hostage to their plight. From promises of aid with attachments...military bases and permanent presence in their country to the machinations of a greed driven society that supports slave-shop economics and practices racial prejudice within their own culture (America) to living with (like the rest of the world whether recieving "aid" or not...) the threat of violence and militarism should governments not "toe-the-line" to Yankee interests.

Thousands of people will suffer for the vigilence other national governments must bring to bear on having any kind of dealings with the United States of America. They can't be trusted and the world knows it.

LIke so many other things, America and Americans have lost all respect and even the tolerance of governments which pose no threat to America. Ideology of the "Might is Right" philosophy of America has over the past 100 years shaped the political and economic dynamic of the entire planet. Now this same ideology is recognized as untrustworthy and to be avoided...even if that means thousands of helpless women and children will die as the consequence. A truly great day for America and Americans!

Mikey, I couldn't even read the entire post.

Complete crap.

Typically, the USA is first up to the plate to help in international disasters....as they were in the Tsunami, as they were in the Chinese earthquake, as they arehere......the size of their military machine leaves them uniquely able todeliver what is needed where........and they typically do it WITHOUT strings attached.

Full stop.

You people are so blinded by your inferiority complex......it is unbelieveable.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Colpy

Is it the people of Burma who are to blame? Is it the people of Iraq who are to blame? Is it the people of Saudi Arabia who are to blame (9/11)? Is it the people of Afghanistan who are to blame? (Taliban from Pakistan...an American supported "ally"....)

The reputation of the United States as a member-nation in the human community has been replaced with mistrust and fear. And who do you suppose owns the lions share of responsibility for that situation?