Protesters vow action over kangaroo cull

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080520/kangaroo_cull_080520/20080520?hub=World

CANBERRA, Australia -- An animal rights activist threatened "direct action" to stop the killing of 400 kangaroos because of overpopulation in Australia's capital after two protesters unsuccessfully tried to disrupt the cull Tuesday.

The slaughter that began Monday at an abandoned military site in suburban Canberra has divided Australians on the merits of a mass killing of an iconic animal featured in Australia's coat of arms.

About 600 kangaroos live at the site, and scientists say their growing population threatens their own survival, as well as that of endangered native species of reptiles and insects.

Sound familiar any?

"It was the day Australia's national emblem was relegated to cold storage," Sydney's The Daily Telegraph reported Tuesday, describing kangaroo carcasses being packed into portable refrigerators to be buried later.

Wildlife Protection Association of Australia president Pat O'Brien said Tuesday he and other protesters planned to intervene overnight Tuesday or Wednesday if the killing continued.

"It's an inhumane blood bath and we've got some direct action planned," O'Brien said outside the eight-foot high wire fence that surrounds the 320-acre site. He declined to elaborate.

Federal Environment Minister Peter Garrett described the cull Tuesday as a "regrettable last option," but said it was necessary.

Two protesters broke into the site Tuesday and "frightened and agitated" a "small number of kangaroos" that had been sedated as part of fertility experiments, defense spokesman Brigadier Andrew Nikolic said in a statement.

Defense officials refused to comment Tuesday on how many kangaroos had so far been killed in a cull that is expected to take two to three weeks.

Michael Linke, of the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, said Tuesday his organization was monitoring the cull and inspectors at the site Monday found animal welfare standards were met.

"A lot of people have been saying that the kangaroos have been a little bit stressed and there's some concern about the tranquilizing phase," Linke told Australian Broadcasting Corp. radio.

But he said moving the kangaroos from the site would have also caused tremendous stress. "It's the only option" for the Defense Ministry, Linke said of the cull.

Defense last week dismissed the live transportation option as too expensive at $3.3 million -- or $8,200 per animal.

O'Brien said his association -- whose patrons are the family of the late "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin -- was appealing for public donations to fund the relocation of the surviving kangaroos. He dismissed Defense's cost estimate as "ridiculous," but did not have his own estimate.

And I was talking to my gf from down under and the K.Roos are pretty well in the same boat as the Seals here in Canada.... too many for their own population to maintain itself, pose risks to the survival of surrounding species, etc.... and they have to be culled..... oh... and they're cute.... go figure there'd be protestors.

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
>>And I was talking to my gf from down under and the K.Roos are pretty well in the same boat as the Seals here in Canada.... too many for their own population to maintain itself, pose risks to the survival of surrounding species, etc.... and they have to be culled..... oh... and they're cute.... go figure there'd be protestors.<<

The above could also be said about humans. The kangaroo is one of the few species that wont breed if there is insufficient food around, unlike humans..........

Canaduh

Derailing Threads
Mar 7, 2008
Southwest WA
>>And I was talking to my gf from down under and the K.Roos are pretty well in the same boat as the Seals here in Canada.... too many for their own population to maintain itself, pose risks to the survival of surrounding species, etc.... and they have to be culled..... oh... and they're cute.... go figure there'd be protestors.<<

The above could also be said about humans. The kangaroo is one of the few species that wont breed if there is insufficient food around, unlike humans..........

I lived in Australia for 19 years and kangaroo are little more than target practice for me. Its exactly the same as seals in canada, too many seals = depletion of nature food = mass starvation. Its funny how protesters rally against culling roo's yet water buffalo/camels and wild horses are shot en mass in many parts of Australia, let me tell you nothing beats driving thru paddock's in the back of a pickup with a rifle and shooting roo's.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
SENSFAN

Good on ya, mate

I used to read in the Nat'l Geographic, probably long time ago now that some actually made a living by shooting roos at night, from trucks.dinkdinkSeemed fair to me, overhead would be low; good outdoor employment, not cold.

THAT SHOULD READ FAIR DINKUM.................JEEBUS!!! NOT DINK DINK........LOL

Believe they were used for pet/human food. Quite a tough way to earn a buck, shoot, lift, gut, skin, transport. Probably heavier than our white tail deer; and some would say the same should be done with them..........From almost gone in the 1970's to nightime danger now.

Anyway, question is, do they still do that now? If so, something could "jar" an elbow, and deflect the crosshairs to between the eyes of a protester. ...................not that I would ever suggest such a thing. Would be a terrible accident. Think of their loved ones.

:roll:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Sounds familiar in another way too. We had a similar problem with Canada Geese.

Yepper, eh1eh, that is ongoing, along with cormorants, (now there's a can of worms).........Truly worthy of doing some research and reading.............Totally destructive bird being protected by "wildlife terrorists" IMHO, and the govt. doing squat.......:lol:

At some time, ya gotta say, "piss on it, I don't care", and walk away. Either that or have a stroke or get jailed...........or both. Not worth the effort.

:angry3:

Canaduh

Derailing Threads
Mar 7, 2008
Southwest WA
SENSFAN

Good on ya, mate

I used to read in the Nat'l Geographic, probably long time ago now that some actually made a living by shooting roos at night, from trucks.dinkdinkSeemed fair to me, overhead would be low; good outdoor employment, not cold.

THAT SHOULD READ FAIR DINKUM.................JEEBUS!!! NOT DINK DINK........LOL

Believe they were used for pet/human food. Quite a tough way to earn a buck, shoot, lift, gut, skin, transport. Probably heavier than our white tail deer; and some would say the same should be done with them..........From almost gone in the 1970's to nightime danger now.

Anyway, question is, do they still do that now? If so, something could "jar" an elbow, and deflect the crosshairs to between the eyes of a protester. ...................not that I would ever suggest such a thing. Would be a terrible accident. Think of their loved ones.

:roll:
Yep.. I got too kill things, dogs got the meat. Win win situation.

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
I lived in Australia for 19 years and kangaroo are little more than target practice for me. Its exactly the same as seals in canada, too many seals = depletion of nature food = mass starvation. Its funny how protesters rally against culling roo's yet
water buffalo/camels and wild horses
are shot en mass in many parts of Australia, let me tell you nothing beats driving thru paddock's in the back of a pickup with a rifle and shooting roo's.

water buffalo/camels and horses are introduced species whereas the kangaroo is a native........ I lived in australian for 26yrs...the last 7 were spent raising orphaned wildlife, mainly wallabies, pademelons, the odd 'roo, flying foxes etc. The more I learned about animals the less I liked humans..............

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
water buffalo/camels and horses are introduced species whereas the kangaroo is a native........ I lived in australian for 26yrs...the last 7 were spent raising orphaned wildlife, mainly wallabies, pademelons, the odd 'roo, flying foxes etc. The more I learned about animals the less I liked humans..............

Yeah, that tends to happen..... you sorta lose any sympathy for our species.... well as a collective, not individually.