Obese blamed for the world's ills

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7404268.stm

Obese people are contributing to the world food crisis and climate change, experts say.

The London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine calculated the obese consume 18% more calories than average.

They are also responsible for using more fuel, which has an environmental impact and drives up food prices as transport and agriculture both use oil.

The result is that the poor struggle to afford food and greenhouse gas emissions rise, the Lancet reported.
It comes as the World Health Organization predicts the obese population will double by 2015 to 700m.

In the UK, nearly a quarter of adults are classed obese, twice as many as there were in the 1980s.

The team found that obese people require 1,680 daily calories to sustain normal energy and another 1,280 to maintain daily activities - a fifth more than normal.

The higher consumption of food has a two-fold effect, researchers said.

First of all the increasing demand for food, drives up production.

This means that agricultural processes are using more oil to meet demand, which contributes to the rising cost of fuel.

The cost of fuel is then passed on in the cost of food, making it more difficult for poorer areas to afford it.

Prices

What is more, the researchers said obese people are likely to rely on transport more and put more strain on that transport because of their mass, which again drives up prices and usage.

But the researchers said there was a solution.

Phil Edwards, who co-authored the article, said: "Urban transport policies that promote walking and cycling would reduce food prices by reducing the global demand for oil and promotion of a normal weight.

And they added: "Decreased car use would reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
"Transport and food policy and the importance of sustainable transport must not be overlooked."

But Dr David Haslam, of the National Obesity Forum, said it was "stretching it a bit" to blame the obese in the way.
"Really, it is discriminatory towards obese people. They are an easy target at the moment, but I think the causes of climate change and rising food prices is much more complex."

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Chicken and the egg. Are the obese the cause or the symptom, of a society having an overabundance of resources?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I think the article is just seeking some group to blame, along with the bio-fuels and everything else.

Due to their body mass they put a hamper on public tansportations fuel? So does some skinny college boy with a giant bookbag full of books.... talk about nit picking.

Frig, we've had plenty of fat people in our societies for quite some time now, what do they suggest be done? Force people to only eat a certain amount or a certain type of food each day and have to meet the dictated weight of everybody else?

Who's the ideal weight? What about height to weight?

Is a short fat Asian the same as a tall fat Irishman? Exactly who's standards are we all supposed to go by?

Then if we do go by some standard that we're forced to meet, won't that cause more mental illnesses and such like people being subjected to what's attractive and what's not.... who's normal and who's not? People always trying to watch what they eat, now not just because society deems that attractive or not.... but also now to "Save the World?"

People need to get over it.... that's capitalism and freedom for you. If you got the money and you're hungry, you're going to eat. Why should I have to reduce what I eat on a daily basis just because some poor schmuck in some other country can't afford it or because some guy down the road doesn't know when to stop? Shall we socialize capitalism? Can that even be done?

You know, If I dug really long and hard, I could probably blame all the world's problems on space monkey's from Mars.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
You're right about the "blame-game" as the impetus behind this and many other articles currently clouding the landscape. "Environmentalism driving the cost of food higher because ethanol is evil..." etc.

As long as people have someone to point a finger at...they can ignore their own stupidity.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
You know what occurred to me? For what an obese person uses up in extra resources and calories, they save in not driving back and forth to a gym, running for endless hours on a treadmill (think of the power drain there!), drinking stupid slim quik stuff, and buying dozens of petroleum laden stretchy outfits and foam mats. :lol:.