Nude painting fetches $33.6m @ auction

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Freud work sets new world record

Sue Tilley posed for Freud over a four-year period in the early 1990s

A life-sized Lucian Freud painting of a sleeping, naked woman has set a new world record price for a work by a living artist.
The 1995 portrait, titled Benefits Supervisor Sleeping, sold for $33.6m (£17.2m) at Christie's in New York.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7398949.stm
-----------------------------------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I'm going to start painting again. Please someone explain it to me. Is it the colour? Is it the light and the colour? Is it the texture or is it the detail on the dust balls under the coach, what is it?

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
I'm going to start painting again. Please someone explain it to me. Is it the colour? Is it the light and the colour? Is it the texture or is it the detail on the dust balls under the coach, what is it?
It's the rolls on the couch!:p

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

Perhaps it's the realism? The frank honesty? The lack of apology on her part for existing which, these days, is lacking in most overweight women?

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Perhaps it's the realism? The frank honesty? The lack of apology on her part for existing which, these days, is lacking in most overweight women?
I hope she got at least a couple of millions for her frank honesty.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

The subjects attributes are not in the least putting the bug up me plumbing, the price is revolting opulence dropped like a soiled hanky, a real sign of these times and of things to come.

What makes you think she's overweight Karrie?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
From what I saw in the news about this last night, the reason why this painting was picked and got the high price it did, was moreso for the level of detail the artist put into the painting itself, not exactly for what the painting was about or meaning.

It's certainly not something I'd pay that much for, let alone put up on the wall in my living room, but to each their own.