Aussie straps in beer, not child

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7397867.stm

A car driver in Australia has been fined for strapping down his beer rather than his young child.

Police said they were "shocked and appalled" when they pulled over the car south of Alice Springs in Australia's Northern Territory.

They said the 30-can pack of beer was strapped down between two adults in the back, with the five-year-old child unrestrained on the floor.

The driver was handed a fine of A$750 (US$709; £362).

The fine was for failing to ensure a child was wearing a seatbelt as well as driving an unregistered and uninsured vehicle.

'Blank' look
The car was pulled over on the Ross Highway last Friday.

Constable Wayne Burnett said: "I haven't ever seen something like this before."

"This is the first time that the beer has taken priority over a child... The child was sitting in the lump in the centre, unrestrained."

When Constable Burnett handed over the fine he said the driver "just looked at me blankly".

"He didn't get it," Constable Burnett said.

"I asked him about the fact the child was unrestrained and the beer was, and he said he didn't know anything about it."
Superintendent Sean Parnell of Alice Springs police said the incident was a "timely reminder" to ensure "all passengers are secured".

Why were they shocked? It's Australia.... much like Canada.... Beers' and important part of life for many.

GreenGreta

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2005
Lala Land
Broken bones heal. Broken beer bottles don't.

That is the funniest sh*t I've read in a long time... Thanks!

I would have strapped the kid to the beer, then strapped them both in. Couldn't someone have held the child, I mean beer, on their lap at least? Why didn't they just leave the kid home alone while they picked up the beer? Why isn't a 30 pack of beer between 3 adults more shocking than the kid without a seatbelt?

"shocked and appalled" Seriously? With all the crap happening in the world right now, this shocks and appalls Australia? Too funny. Must be a nice rainbowy place to live if this is so damned shocking. Australians should read the world news if they want to be shocked and appalled. Jeepers!

Reactions: Andem

Canaduh

Derailing Threads
Mar 7, 2008
Southwest WA
I was born and lived in australia for 19 years.... trust me not breaking or a dropping a beer is far more important than a child. To Greengreta I asked some of my friends in Melbourne and this story wasnt on either the morning news or midday news, so it looks like canada is more shocked about something that happened in a completely different country.

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
being an Aussie I can appreciate the ummmm irony in the headline....only a $750 buck fine for all that!!!!?????? What is the cost of driving an un-insured vehicle here in Canada?
It would've been an Aborigines that were booked...if it was white guys, they would've drank the beers before driving, knowing there weren't enough setbelts

Onya Aussie ;-)

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
This doesn't surprise me. Like the British, the Australians love their beer - although the Aussies take it to a whole new level.

They are a very uncivilised bunch, the Australians. But what do you expect from people who are the descendants of British convicts?

Even America and Canada have got more culture than Australia has.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
This doesn't surprise me. Like the British, the Australians love their beer - although the Aussies take it to a whole new level.

They are a very uncivilised bunch, the Australians. But what do you expect from people who are the descendants of British convicts?

I think the difference in environment serves a lot in creating the difference in culture. And keep in mind, the Aussies have just as much 'culture', frankly, a more interesting culture than the Brits. Sure, it may look less civilized, but, like I said, it's a different environment, different set of values.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

Have you even been there or are you just pulling this assumption out of your arse?

Uncivilized Bunch? Let me guess.... we've got more culture because of our iglos, moose pies, maple syrup and lumberjacks, while all they have is Steve Irwin and Kangaroos? That has to be the most ignorant comment I've read so far today.

If you want to keep referring to Australians as British Convicts, then I guess the US are British Traitorous Scum and Canada's the British Moma's Boy who politely requested to move out of house, but is still within arm's reach of Mommy.... the Good Son out of the three if you will. :-?

All three countries have their fill of idiots who make it into the news.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm

Yes. British convicts are the worst lot, eh.;-)

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
"Yes. British convicts are the worst lot, eh.
"

Can't say that I blame the Poms for that one. After all, kids can be replaced but beer is absolutely sacred. ;-)

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka

Funny of you to say something like this, Blackleaf. The last time I was in London, the city seemed like I had landed in New Delhi. Is this British culture?

The last time I was in Manchester, Britain's 3rd largest city, I was horrified to see how uncivilised it was and how the crime rate related to even the most corrupt Eastern European cities. Comparing that to Germany's third largest city, Munich, is quite laughable.

What's the mother tongue of your capital city anyways, was it Punjabi, English or the Arabic spoken by the most violent and uncivilised bunch of home-grown "British" terrorists? I seem to have forgotten.

Get off your high horse!

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I think the difference in environment serves a lot in creating the difference in culture. And keep in mind, the Aussies have just as much 'culture', frankly, a more interesting culture than the Brits. Sure, it may look less civilized, but, like I said, it's a different environment, different set of values.

Australia does NOT have as much culture as Britain.

Where's Australia's Shakespeare, Wordsworth, Chaucer, Dickens, Enid Blyton, Roald Dahl, Bronte Sisters, Robert Burns, Jane Austen, Sir Christopher Wren, Byron, Shelley, Keats, Bram Stoker, Lewis Carroll etc?

When it comes to great culture, Australia is FAR behind Britain.

The only Australians to have ever contributed to "culture" are Rolf Harris and Dame Edna Everage.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
If you want to keep referring to Australians as British Convicts, then I guess the US are British Traitorous Scum and Canada's the British Moma's Boy who politely requested to move out of house, but is still within arm's reach of Mommy.

I couldn't have put it better myself. That's very true.

The US and Canada are also not renowned for their great contribution to world culture, but even they beat Australia.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Funny of you to say something like this, Blackleaf. The last time I was in London, the city seemed like I had landed in New Delhi. Is this British culture?

The last time I was in Manchester, Britain's 3rd largest city, I was horrified to see how uncivilised it was and how the crime rate related to even the most corrupt Eastern European cities. Comparing that to Germany's third largest city, Munich, is quite laughable.

What's the mother tongue of your capital city anyways, was it Punjabi, English or the Arabic spoken by the most violent and uncivilised bunch of home-grown "British" terrorists? I seem to have forgotten.

Get off your high horse!

Leeds is Britain's third largest city, not Manchester.

And London's cultural diversity - it's probably the most culturally diverse city in the world after New York City - is one of the things that make it GREAT, possibly the greatest city on Earth. Hundreds of languages are spoken in that cosmopolitan city. It shows it as an open, outward-looking city willing to take in immigrants from all over the world who contribute greatly to the British economy.

I see nothing wrong in London's great ethnic diversity. And it has been diverse for centuries. If people from the former British Empire want to live in the world's greatest city I have no problem with that.

Though London has been ethnically diverse for centuries it still does not stop the city producing great people.

Some famous Londoners: Dame Agatha Christie, Charles Dickens, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Ian Fleming, Sir Alfred Hitchcock, James Joyce, John Keats, George Orwell, George Bernard Shaw, Mary Shelley, Bram Stoker, Tennyson, Samuel Pepys and Christopher Wren.

GreenGreta

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2005
Lala Land
"But what do you expect from people who are the descendants of British convicts."

Not all of the convicts went to Australia, they kept the true criminals in their Royalty.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
We were never strapped in as kids but Big Brother keeps putting in his oar.