Feds confirm decision to reject space deal

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe.../Radarsat_rejected_080509/20080509?hub=Canada

Industry Minister Jim Prentice says he will proceed with his earlier decision to block the foreign takeover of Canada's premier space technology firm.

In a news release early Friday, Prentice said the sale would not benefit Canada.

"I have confirmed my initial decision that I am not satisfied that ATK's proposed acquisition of the Information Systems Business of MDA would likely be of net benefit to Canada. I reached this decision after an extensive and rigorous review process," Prentice said.

He said the Investment Canada Act bars him from approving a transaction that doesn't demonstrate net benefit to the country.

The decision means Alliant Techsystems Inc.'s $1.3 billion attempt to take over the space division of Vancouver's MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates, will not go forward.

Prentice first turned down the deal last month, saying ATK would have a 30-day period to argue the preliminary decision.

However, at the time all signs indicated the decision was final, with Prentice saying the key reason for his decision was the Radarsat-2 satellite, an Earth observation satellite built in partnership with the Canadian government.

Radarsat-2 has national sovereignty implications as it can allow the monitoring of surface ships sailing in the Arctic.

The federal government directed $445 million in contracts to MDA to help fund the development of the satellite and selling MDA to a foreign firm would have made the satellite subject to another country's legal system.

As a result, Canada could have lost access to the technology which was largely funded by taxpayers' dollars.

MDA is also responsible for designing and building the Canadarm and Dextre devices, which are currently being used at the International Space Station.

MDA had expressed concerns that if the sale were to be blocked, the company could be penalized by being banned from bidding on U.S. defence contracts -- which account for 81 per cent of the world's space spending.

But Prentice said MDA will remain in Canadian hands and the company will continue to be a vital part of the nation's space future.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
It's long past time the government of Canada got out of the "business" of managing business! With any luck there'll be a complaint to the WTO and the NAFTA boards so its lawyers and the slime in Ottawa can rape Canadians even more!

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I would have figured this was a good thing for Canadians, not raping us.... heck if we sold this company to the US, then we'd be raped even worse.... with a golf club.... and we'd be more dependant on the US for our own security which is currently in our control at the moment with the mentioned technology not going into their hands.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Praxius

You're probably too young to remember the Avro Arow but one way or another technology produced in Canada will ultimately find its way into America's arsenal. I can't say for certain as of this moment how many Canadians are working in the American space programme, but there was a time when the best engineers and many highly skilled Canadians were working for NASA and manned the consoles at Houston and worked all over the place in the American aerospace industry. If I remember correctly didn't there used-to-be a "Canada-Arm on the space station?

As far as "security" is concerned to believe that Canada with its bloated military and super-efficient RCMP ....to say nothing of CSIS and the Newfounland Constabulary..... need anyone's help with the longest border in the world....well.....

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I've read up a lot on the Arrow, heck I even seen the movie, lol.... that sorta pissed me off a little, but the Arrow never made it into the US's hands.... heck it didn't even stay in our own... the Arrow was scrapped for those stupid missles.... all records and the prototypes were destroyed for the most part.

But in regards to the above situation, it's not about Canadian technology going to the US, both countries trade this stuff all the time.... the concern is selling them the technology and control of that technology we are currently using for our country's security.... which would mean they can use that technology to monitor our nation and pretty well anywhere else they would please.

Selling them another Sat for them to use I'm not too fussed about, but when it's selling them something we are actually using just doesn't make sense.

And you mentioned the raping of Canadians.... well if this was sold to the US, then the tax payer's money that went into the projects would have been the rape.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Prax

Do you honestly believe that the Americans don't have satellite technology watching Canada at this very moment? Is it reasonable to suggest that everything from water distribution networks and "control" of the Arctic ice-pack...to who's growing dope and where....isn't being watched by Big Brother?

Our government spent billions of dollars on British submarines ...mothballed antiques....instead of opening shipyards that could have employed lots of Canadians....

Our government participates in looting minerals from all over the world....while Canadians are paying for gasoline refined from Alberta's oil and sold back to us at prices established by American petroleum companies and American investors artificially inflating the price of gasoline and making ENORMOUS profits....

Want to talk about how Canada is being raped by our government....?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I've read up a lot on the Arrow, heck I even seen the movie, lol.... that sorta pissed me off a little, but the Arrow never made it into the US's hands.... heck it didn't even stay in our own... the Arrow was scrapped for those stupid missles.... all records and the prototypes were destroyed for the most part.

God damn it...my old man worked for Avro as a mechanic..... sumbitch lied to me about what he saw in those crates headin for the u.s. and Britain.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Prax

Do you honestly believe that the Americans don't have satellite technology watching Canada at this very moment? Is it reasonable to suggest that everything from water distribution networks and "control" of the Arctic ice-pack...to who's growing dope and where....isn't being watched by Big Brother?

You are not reading what I am typing. I am aware they have satelites that can monitor pretty well anywhere they please... I was talking about the control of one of the few we actually have... plus the unique technology within this paticular sat that was what caused this big stink to begin with.

Our government spent billions of dollars on British submarines ...mothballed antiques....instead of opening shipyards that could have employed lots of Canadians....

True, but also in the government's defense, they just awarded contract to both BC and NS to upgrade our ships.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2008/04/21/shipyards-contracts.html?ref=rss

"Ottawa expects the Victoria contract to create as many as 110 local jobs, while helping to maintain 450 more. At its peak in 2012, the Halifax contract is expected to maintain and create as many as 600 jobs. The contracts run until 2020."

Our government participates in looting minerals from all over the world....while Canadians are paying for gasoline refined from Alberta's oil and sold back to us at prices established by American petroleum companies and American investors artificially inflating the price of gasoline and making ENORMOUS profits....

Want to talk about how Canada is being raped by our government....?

Nobody said things were pefect... if they were we wouldn't have anything to bitch about.

(I think that'll be my new sig)