B.C. boy needed 100 stitches after pit bull attack

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

Manjit Bajwa, the father of the boy who was mauled, wants the owner of the pit bulls punished for allowing the dogs to run loose in a playground.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/05/05/bc-pitbull-baseball-bat.html

A Surrey, B.C., boy who was badly bitten by a pit bull on Sunday afternoon is still recovering in hospital from puncture wounds to his face, arms and legs, the 11-year-old's father said Monday.

Sean Bajwa was playing basketball with friends in the playground at Cedar Hills Elementary School when the vicious attack occurred around 4:30 p.m., Surrey RCMP said.

"The dog started chasing him and Sean was walking backwards," said Noris Virdi, one of the other basketball players. He said the dogs were loose on the playground and appeared to be unattended.

"Sean fell on the ground. The dog started licking Sean. After Sean started screaming, the dogs were biting him."

Jordan Slezak and his mother, who live across the street from the school, were drawn outside when they heard yelling coming from the playground.

"The pit bull had the boy by his face when we came out here," the 20-year-old said Monday.

"My mum yelled at me to go grab the phone and call 911. By the time I got to the phone, she just told me to grab a baseball bat and go out there."

With a bat in his hand, Slezak rushed over to help the boy.

"I jumped the fence [barefoot], ran to the dog and gave him a nice golf swing to the head. The dog backed off right away and ran to the other side of the playground.

"The second dog was just circling and I chased them … and kept them in the corner until police came," Slezak said.

Sean was taken to Surrey Memorial Hospital where doctors took three hours and 100 stitches to close all his wounds, police said. He remained in hospital Monday night.

Manjit Bajwa said his son is having nightmares about the attack.

"He's in the shock, still … he starts to cry and starts to shiver."

Bajwa said the owner of the pit bulls should be punished for allowing the dogs to be loose.

Surrey RCMP Sgt. Roger Morrow said police officers had to use a pole to catch one of the dogs.

Both dogs are being held at the SPCA. Officials are still investigating to determine whether both dogs were involved in the attack.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
It is time to send those dogs to the "farm where they will have a lot of room to run around". That same farm where all the other bad dogs go. ;-)

I can't stand Pit Bulls. They are always well trained...that is until they maul someone.

At college there were some kids hanging out in front of the cafeteria asking students for money with Pit Bulls on a leash. Talk about intimidation...in my view it is armed robbery.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Some people just shouldn't have anything larger than a lap dog.

Something to remember is that when any dog has a hold of your arm or hand, don't try to pull it out of it's mouth. You won't get it out unless the dog let's it go and you will just damage your limb more. Instead, push for the back of the throat. This makes the dog gag and open it's mouth. Also, you can make a dog let go by sticking your finger up it's ass. Much like people, that sort of thing really gets their attention.

I heard that the dog's owners will have to pay up to a $5000 fine. Golly, that should fix everything. Why can't we have a regulation that to breed, sell, own or have in your possession any large dog, you must be licensed to do so? A couple of hundred bucks every five years would help keep the dogs out of the wrong hands. Harsh fines and restrictions for those who fail to obey the regulations and real enforcement of the rules by animal control. A nice idea would be a hot line to call should you see someone with dogs running loose in the school yard too.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
The funny thing is that most just don't seem to be aware of just how easy it is to take down a dog with just one hand sometimes.... including when they're running full tilt at ya.

I mean, with cats you got teeth and four sets of sharp ass claws to deal with, but with a dog, you just got their teeth/jaws to worry about. Grab their snout, either top or bottom, squeeze real tight and you can twist then any which way you want, and they can not apply pressure easily to bite you or tear you up. Your fingers might get a little sore against the teeth and a shaking head from an angry dog, but they can not bite down to any noticable degree and you can use their entire weight against them, or they'll either end up with a broken jaw or a broken neck.

I've used it on several sized dogs and can throw/pin them on their back in seconds rendering them pretty helpless.

I wonder, has anybody else ever tried this tactic, or did I even explain it right for understanding?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I have also heard the pushing your arm deeper into the mouth of an attacking dog. I tried that with my German Sheppard and it worked during horseplay with her. The thing about a pit bull is that it is so low to the ground and has great balance and is always looking for a firmer bite. It will let go but most likely go for a better bite. Panic sets in with a lot of people and their instinct is to get away. Heck even a set of car keys raked or poked into a dogs eye may help.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Another thing that would help is a general understanding of the preditor drive. I gave a few lectures in my daughter's highschool about this aspect among others. I was surprised that most kids don't know much about it or how to deal with it.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Bat to the head....

The owner needs the same treatment. Or perhaps to be pinned down and have their face chewed on for a while.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Yep:lol: You're my kind of people. As an old mailman,I've been attacked by every kind of dog imaginable and even a few cats,too & every one that bit me paid for it dearly.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Yep:lol: You're my kind of people. As an old mailman,I've been attacked by every kind of dog imaginable and even a few cats,too & every one that bit me paid for it dearly.

A friend recently asked me why my dog freaks out so badly about the mailman when she likes everyone else under the sun. I pointed out that, to my dog's way of thinking, the mailman has been circling the house on a daily basis, trying to get up the nerve to try something. He doesn't behave like any other person. He refuses to announce his presence by entering, he makes an odd clanging noise whenever he shows up, and when he scares her, she barks, and he goes away. Clear signs that he's up to something untoward. And since barking has made him go away, she'd better keep doing it, because he's up to something and she's not sure what, and she sure as heck doesn't want him getting on her watch just because she listened and decided not to bark.

As far as she's concerned, there is no creature on two legs who is as much a danger to her family as that man. And I can't really blame her simple animal brain for having formulated such a conclusion.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Admit it! Its because we bring those nasty bills to your door:-( And all those stinking fliers,too.:-( Being retired, I hate seeing them come to my own door. And our dog barks madly at him,too.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
If pit bulls scare you,think about the 3 Akitas that came after me once..I never went back to that house again! Too damn dangerous[owned by a couple of drug dealers!]

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Bat to the head shocked the hell out of me...... that took guts...... in our city here a few years back, a pit bull attacked a dog nearly killing it. Police wounded the pit and it managed to run damn near across the city with a multitude of bullets in it. The thing must have been mad with pain. That angers me.

The dog has been bred to kill.... what part of that do people miss? There should be no further breeding. It's always the animal that pays for the owner's irresponsible stupidity. I say shoot the owner along with the animal..... Not a popular sentiment and said with tongue in cheek.........sort of.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Admit it! Its because we bring those nasty bills to your door:-( And all those stinking fliers,too.:-( Being retired, I hate seeing them come to my own door. And our dog barks madly at him,too.

I have to say, I've never had such a rude, miserable mailman as the one I have here. He won't even look up to see you say hello to him. If he does have to deal with you, dropping off a package for example, he oozes dislike. And he'll only drop a package about every 4th time... the rest of the time he just fills out the card, saying he tried to drop it off but that we weren't home and have to pick it up at the post office.

Okay... I'm getting side tracked... dogs. Yeah, dogs that bite are bad. lol.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
At 16 to 30 kg, Pitbulls are at most a medium sized dog. That's about the size of a Black Lab.

Seems there are a few misconceptions here though.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Largish dogs just have no place in our crowed cities.

I don't entirely agree. Some of the worst damage I've seen done was from small dogs who got ahold of kids. I've been attacked by a cat (two courses of anti-biotics, steroids, and nearly needed surgery). And yet, many breeds of large dog are down right mellow and lazy, and even in 'bad' breeds, some of the dogs are low key. I think you need to look to the owners way more than you need to look to the dogs, but, bans that prevent new ownership of some problem breeds seem to be an inevitable and possibly necessary thing.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Back when dog fighting was still going on. The most recent dog fighting I have heard of was in Winnipeg in 1976. I hope to hell it no longer goes on. Pit Bulls are not naturally vicious. The dangerous ones have been inbred and abused to the point where they are dangerous to even their owners. All the qualities that made that dog a good pet are long gone. There are always a few people around who want a dangerous dog.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The funny thing is that most just don't seem to be aware of just how easy it is to take down a dog with just one hand sometimes.... including when they're running full tilt at ya.

I mean, with cats you got teeth and four sets of sharp ass claws to deal with, but with a dog, you just got their teeth/jaws to worry about. Grab their snout, either top or bottom, squeeze real tight and you can twist then any which way you want, and they can not apply pressure easily to bite you or tear you up. Your fingers might get a little sore against the teeth and a shaking head from an angry dog, but they can not bite down to any noticable degree and you can use their entire weight against them, or they'll either end up with a broken jaw or a broken neck.

I've used it on several sized dogs and can throw/pin them on their back in seconds rendering them pretty helpless.

I wonder, has anybody else ever tried this tactic, or did I even explain it right for understanding?

I kicked one in the nuts once. That put a stop to things quick.

Hazmart

Council Member
Sep 29, 2007
Karrie I agree with you, I work in the veterinary field and have been bitten many many times. The breeds that more often show the signs of aggressiveness are the small breeds. The ones that people just think that it is soo cute that only one person can actually touch it! Most of my bites have come from shih tzus, min pins and cats (Karrie I can sympathize with the medical treatment from the cat bite).
The thing about large dogs is that the majority are very good dogs, we see very few large aggressive dogs because that sort of behavior is stopped at the first sign, it is simply not allowed because they can cause so much more damage. There are a lot of responsible owners out there.
I actually really like pitbulls, rotties, mastiffs (my fav!) and dobbies!

In this situation though, the dogs should not have been running free in a playground, thats what off leash areas are for. But also the dog started out by licking the boy (not to say that this is at all his fault) but perhaps the boy freaked out and paniced causing a panic response from the dog.
I think a lot of people need to learn not to be afraid and to stay calm.

At the clinic we often see clients come in with their little dogs running at the end of their extendable leashes barking and snapping at calm relaxed big dogs and the small dog client says how unsafe big dogs are! Yeshh!