Smoking ban to be phased in at Canadian prisons

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...06/prisons_smoking_080506/20080506?hub=Canada

OTTAWA -- A total smoking ban is being implemented at Canadian prisons, starting immediately at federal maximum-security institutions and some regional treatment centres.

The Correctional Service of Canada, in a statement issued late Monday, says once fully implemented, smoking will not be permitted "inside federal correctional facilities, including private family visiting units or outdoors, within the perimeter of correctional facilities."

Commissioner Keith Coulter says the decision to impose the total ban came "after thorough consultation and consideration of every aspect." An indoor ban was first put in place Jan. 31, 2006.

The Correctional Service has provided staff and offenders with access to educational and awareness material, and given inmates who wish to quit smoking access to cessation aids, the release said.

The department also says it has emergency plans at the ready to address any disruption that may arise, such as having institutional emergency response teams in place.

The ban in medium-security institutions and treatment centres in Quebec and Atlantic Canada kicks in May 20, and on June 2 in all minimum-security facilities, community correctional centres and women's institutions.

For now, the ban affects all maximum-security institutions, a special handling unit and multi-level institutions for men, including regional treatment centres in Ontario, B-C and on the Prairies.

"CSC is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for staff and inmates. Eliminating exposure to second-hand smoke in our institutions is an important step forward to achieve this objective," Coulter said.

Last I heard about this, it was just for the prisoners and not the officers. Although this article kinda seems to lean information towards everybody being affected by this, I am wondering what the official stance is.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I don't know Sal. I think the more privileges we can remove from people being put in prison, the better.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Seems to me we pay for those cigarettes. More correctly the cons pay for their cigarettes out of money we give them. I see no reason to help them kill themselves.
Having said that, I know what a bas tard of a time I had trying to quit. It will be misery for a lot of them. First two weeks are the hardest.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Perhaps all privileges should be taken away from prisoners until the time they decide to be model citizens and toe the line.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
double post....either my computer is fried or we just had a glitch

Last edited:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I don't know Sal. I think the more privileges we can remove from people being put in prison, the better.
I used to think that too. Psychologically, the biggest thing you can take from another human being is freedom. We've already taken that.

If taking away their cigarettes removes another bargaining tool for the guards I say it's not worth it. The more you remove, the less they have to look forward to, the more likely they are to feel life is miserable enough that behaviour does not matter.

I think control needs to come before our need for self satisfaction that the punishment is enough.

The reform we need is longer sentencing, not harsher... we need to learn what is the more effective punishment..... they are going to come out....... let's make it in societies best interest.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I used to think that too. Psychologically, the biggest thing you can take from another human being is freedom. We've already taken that.

If taking away their cigarettes removes another bargaining tool for the guards I say it's not worth it. The more you remove, the less they have to look forward to, the more likely they are to feel life is miserable enough that behaviour does not matter.

I think control needs to come before our need for self satisfaction that the punishment is enough.

The reform we need is longer sentencing, not harsher... we need to learn what is the more effective punishment..... they are going to come out....... let's make it in societies best interest.

In my view, they, at the very least, should be bound by the same by-laws everyone else in our province is cound by in regards to second hand smoke in the work place.

I get what you're saying about bargaining chips though. That is probably very important to guards.