Putin defends missiles at parade

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

The parade is expected to draw large crowds on Friday

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7383897.stm

Russia's display of heavy weapons in this year's Victory Day parade in Moscow is "not sabre-rattling", President Vladimir Putin insists.

Tanks and intercontinental missiles are to be paraded for the first time since the collapse of the USSR in 1991.

The outgoing Russian leader said that Friday's parade to mark the end of World War II would demonstrate Russia's growing defence capabilities.

"We do not threaten anyone and do not intend to do so," he said.
A dress rehearsal for the parade was conducted on Monday.

Mr Putin is stepping down as president on 7 May to be replaced by Dmitry Medvedev.

'Growing capabilities'

"For the first time in many years combat equipment will be involved in the parade," Mr Putin told government officials.

"It's a demonstration of our growing capabilities in the defence sphere."

"We are capable of protecting our people, citizens, our state and our wealth."

Last year, Mr Putin announced the resumption of bomber patrols in international airspace and ordered the navy back into the Atlantic and the Mediterranean.

High oil and gas prices means that Russian can afford to bolster its military capability, correspondents say.
But they say it is nothing like as large as it was during the Soviet times.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

Maybe he should ask the Russian Mafia what they think of that comment.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC

Maybe he should ask the Russian Mafia what they think of that comment.

Or an 18ST banger? Maybe MS-13?

Oh wait... snap! Sorry wrong propaganda... I'll just ask an illegal immigrant.

BTW, did you see all the neat US military equipment paraded on Discovery?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Actually the Military Channel does a good enough job parading around US tech to the rest of the world that has Cable/Sat. I don't know how many more times they're going to repeat the whole V-22 Osprey biography.... geez.

(That's right.... we know all about it.... Mooo hoo haw haw haw haw haw....)

Naw, I'm just messin.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Actually the Military Channel does a good enough job parading around US tech to the rest of the world that has Cable/Sat. I don't know how many more times they're going to repeat the whole V-22 Osprey biography.... geez.

(That's right.... we know all about it.... Mooo hoo haw haw haw haw haw....)

Naw, I'm just messin.

Did you notice that the Military Channel has become the Military/Cops Channel?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Yeah I did notice that.... I think they're running out of new stuff to fill in time, as I've seen many of the shows on there already through the Discovery Channel and the History Channel here in Canada months ago.

I do enjoy the Weaponology series along with the Top 10. Just noticed the Top 10 Snipers on their web site... I might have to check that out.

Speaking of COPS, I seen on, I think, the CourtTV channel the Canadian version called Serve and Protect. Man, there's quite the contrast between the two shows.

Case in point would be the first show I seen of it where they talked to the guy holding a knife for a good long while until he let them put the cuffs on him.... then after that the cops strolled into a parking lot loaded with kids getting high and instead of the expected cop chase you'd see on COPS, they all just hung around, waiting for the cops to get to them and then the cops and the kids started having a big conversation about what drugs each one had, their effects, how they get them, showing their stuff to the camera so you know what it looks like, etc..... and they they all walked away.... what a country! Most of them were kind embarassed being on camera and fried out of their minds, but others were like "Whoa, are you guys from Serve and Protect? Awsome!"